Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official comreg line on Street cabinets

Options
  • 17-06-2003 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

I submitted a complaint as regards the street cabinet and whether it would interfere with the broadband line tests, was taking advice from boston et al.

According to comreg the street cabinet would have nothing to do with failed line tests on broadband at all.

Should have said that they actually rang me to tell me this sorry

Regards

Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I think they are wrong. They did interfere in Australia. The solution was to put the DSLAM in the Cabinet WHERE THERE WAS SPACE, in many cases there wasn't

See

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=35515#r3

The Aussies call it a RIM P0rno Picture of One in Waterford for y'all.

Call it a 'Copper to Fibre Street Multiplexer' or 'Copper to Fibre Street Concentrator' if you are talking to Comreg.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

I think there is copper going from the cabinet back to the exhange too, at least in some countries, so people were able to get adsl by getting switched to a copper pair from cabinet to exchange. Don't know situation in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

This all depends on whats in the cabinet.

There are two potential purposes, to multiplex multiple lines onto one, be it copper of fibre. Or just as an access, or cross connect junction box.

The second shouldn't be a major problem. DSL can handle a certain number of line joins.

The first is going to interfere with adsl, but conversely will be needed in the future for higher speed VDSL, as it enables shorter copper loop lengths, with the dslam in the cabinet. Mind you, that's in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

sure-the situation I'm talking about, and referred to by M. is the first scenario outlined by you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

So with that and comregs serious lack of interest in pursuing the case where do i go from here, have the customer care managers number in eircom but ive left messages twice now and he hasnt gotten back to me, he was originally supposed to ring me back 2 weeks ago but as always eircom remain silent

Regards

Shin

• Advertisement

I sent those details to comreg and asked if they would at least enquire on my behalf if the cabinet would indeed interfere with BB line testing

god knows what theyll come back with

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Any break in the copper line between your house and the local exchange will have an effect on the quality of the line which will subsequently affect the line test. If the copper connections in your local cabinet are shoddy or if there is interference from water or underground power lines there could be a problem.

With regard to DSL, AFAIK eircom are only obliged to allow copper access out of their exchange. This means that their copper pairs can't be mutilplexed onto fibre by an OLO inside the exchange and de-multiplexed back to copper in a street cabinet.

this is the response i got from comreg as regards my query and really shows that the apparatus that is setup to protect the consumer really stinks im afraid, im reprinting the response only and not the name of the person who e-mailed it

The infrastructure in ireland is ****e, the ads for eircoms DSL are misleading, no mentions of caps et etc etc all been mentioned before and nobody had the cahonas to stand up to eircom and basically tell them **** you this is the way its gonna be.

Nothing i do or say or e-mail or phone makes a blind bit of difference to these people, they dont wanna know, they dont want to take up my case even though Eircom themselves have said my line passed.

The consumer the ordinary joe soap has no protection from the rip off merchants called eircom, we are paying for services we cant receive, eircom wont will and never can replace anything thats been ****ed up in the past, i dont care if it costs ****ing millions to replace the copper, they ****ing put it there in the first place they should repair it, im near the exchange, wetlines dont apply unless the pathways are allowing seepage down to the lines.

A friend of mine passed eircoms line test and his estate was built in 1959, christ what they do use industrial grade ****ing copper for his wires and Viewmount got the scragends of some copper they found lying in the road, my estate was built in the 70's.

Well eircom won the ****ers, below is the e-mail

and eircom monkies if your reading this

**** YOU

I have read your discussion on boards.ie. The type of cabinet you are talking about (copper to fibre street multiplexer) is fibre to the curb (FTTC) which may interfere with a small number of adjacent pairs for DSL. However eircom have only a few of these deployed (and those that are deployed are in business parks), and have made them compliant with the Copper Loop Frequency Management Plan so that they will not interfere with DSL. In fact even in the short term they only interfere with a particular variant of DSL which is not deployed in Ireland.

The type of street cabinet you illustrate is a normal street cabinet which serves to collate the lines from the exchange to your locality. There is no effect between this street cabinet and your ability to get DSL. You could indeed locate a DSLAM in the cabinet should there be space, but there is no regulatory requirement for anyone to do so. I suppose Esat Bt or another carrier could make a request to do so and we could assess that on its merits.

I regret we cannot help you any further but I can assure you that your particular street cabinet has no relevance to your ability to get or not get DSL. It is simply unfortunately that you appear not to be able to get DSL and we cannot help you any further at this point.

Shinzon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Send the email back to them, and underneath it in one BIG LINE say "EIRCOM TOLD ME I CANT GET ADSL BECAUSE OF THE CABINET" Now you say it shouldnt interefere- well which one of you is lying? Sort out your stories, come back to me with a solution or I use this as an example of your incompetance/eircom's blatant lies next time Im talking to the minister.

Demand a RECEIPT to reading the letter and a response within a week after which you *will* take it up with the minister and forward all communication from them (Comreg) about how the Cabinet should not affect your ability to get ADSL.

Advertisement