Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router

Options
  • 17-06-2003 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭

We are just about to get wireless broadband. At the min we are using an email/internet ISDN server which allows passwords and usernames to be setup for each individual user and emails to be centralised in the server and then sent out to whoever on the network. Can a boradband router do this also. If so can anyone recommend one? Thanks.

Petes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

very short answer: no.

longer answer: you seem to be a bit confused, all isdn or broadband/adsl does is provide an internet connection at a specified speed and rate, it (itself) doesn't provide any services such as e-mail etc. your existing server (or your ISPs server, esat, eircom etc.) provides this (and will continue to provide it) pretty much regardless of connection type or speed.

(ive moved this thread to nets/comms too..)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

At the min we have hosting with eircom. We use an Extended Systems multi function internet appliance which shares the isdn connection to people on the network with specific privileges set up within the ExtendNet.It centralises all email by dialing eircom and retrieving all emails and stores them within the extendnet system. I take I will need a router plus something like the above or am I way off the mark. Thanks for you help.

Petes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

You'll need the router alright, but since broadband/adsl is an always-on connection there'll be no need for the dial-up software or appliance (if its an all-in-one box)... users will simply connect to the eircom mail-server to retrieve and send their mail... this may require a change in mail settings on the users pcs, thats about it.

Also make sure the router has a built in firewall, for small offices something like a Netgear DG814 will do perfectly. Hassle-free and easy to set-up (although short of options for more technical users)... I don't know too much about the router sold with Eircoms ADSL, and its merits but a quick search in the Net/Comms forum may prove helpful on that point.

If its just a small office don't be talked into buying a standalone dedicated e-mail server by any IT firms and the inevitable maintenance contract that comes along with it... I've seen too many small companies get lost with things they don't particularly need.

Advertisement