Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licenced organisations

Options
  • 17-06-2003 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Ok maybe a bite misleading, but I am wondering about this

I have studied different forms over the years (never found one that suited myself or I really liked, eg Kickboxing, Shotokan, Kempo)

When I first joined a club I only found out years later the guy running wasnt even insured

My question is - would all insured clubs have some kinda of information publicly available for new members, or would you have to run to the Irish Martial Arts Association each time a club opened up near you to check it out

I lost count on the number of "legitimite" clubs that opened in the Dublin 22 area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 heat

to my knowledge from my training is that an instructor is required to have some sort of insurance if they are teaching anything by their styles association.Or if they dont then the hall in which you are train should be able to tell you if they are covered themselves for that sort of activity to be going on in their place.Sorry cpouldnt be much more help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

any genuine club will be registered with the IMAC thats the Irish Martial Arts Commission check out http://www.martialarts.ie/ for directory of clubs , to be with imac which is gov recognised you must have insurance
    how ever there is no law stopping any one from setting up and running a martial arts club so check first that they are the real deal

hope that helps !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Unjaku

Originally posted by vasch_ro
    any genuine club will be registered with the IMAC thats the Irish Martial Arts Commission

Eventually, this might be the case. But right now, membership of IMAC is not obligatory in any way.

There are plenty of legitimate clubs (with full insurance) out there which are not part of the Irish Martial Arts Commission.

If you want to know if a given instructor has insurance, the easiest way is to ask him to show you his documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

i accept this point being part of imac is a good start though

Advertisement