Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Integra Type R - HELP!!

Options
  • 17-06-2003 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am thinking of importing a new shape integra type R from Japan but I am stuck in a bit of a rut about what to do as regards the VRT on it.

The car itself is a very good price but the vat and vrt basically double the price.

I have to buy the car for "X" amount
    Shipping costs approx 500
    Customs and Exise duty isf 10% of "X + shipping" = "Y"
    VAT is 21% of "Y"
    And finally 30% of the open market selling price.
    (I spoke to the revenue dept and they dont have a value for this car because it has never been sold in this country. They quoted me over 7000 for the old shape 1.8 model)

My Idea is:
    My sister is going to college in the UK in september. If I import the car to the UK into her name I still pay the shipping, 10% but the vat is only 17.5% and there is no VRT. This works out saving me close to €10000.

I know she has to keep it in her name on english plates for 6 months and then she can bring it into ireland without paying VRT.

I have a basic idea of the legislation but I am not sure of some details:
    When I buy the car and keep it in her name for the 6 months does it have to be taxed and Insured in the uk or can it be brought over here and put into my garage for the 6 months and kept it off the road.

When the car is legally changed over how long does she have to keep the car for in her name. As far as I know she cannot sell it for a year, but can she give it to somebody as a PRESENT say!!

If the car does have to be kept in her name, can I insure it or does she have to??

Thanks
    Caroline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

what year is the car ? The Integra Type R was sold in Ireland by Honda Ireland from 1997 to 2001. This is also known as the Gen3 Integra - which was replaced by the Gen 4 Integra (not sold in Europe yet), also known as the RSX in the USA. Tonnes of info on this car , can be found on a site I help run - www.jspeed.net - basically for Irish Honda owners

As for the VRT etc, I'm not too sure , as I bought my 1.8 Integra from an Irish owner, who had already done all that dirty VRT business. And I've heard some mad VRT stories - a BMW M3 valued at 17,000 euro EX VRT, the VRT on the vehicle was 17,000 euros also - which made the car 14,000 euros more expensive then buying one in Ireland (if you can find one that is !)

Japanese Import Type R integras, are going for silly money these days in the "open Irish market", Irish ones (approx only 42 in the country) were selling from 12K euro for 97s and 98s, whereas the Japanese versions are looking for 17K for 96s.

Best of luck with purchase - I'm on my 2nd integra - and love it to bits !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by caroline

When I buy the car and keep it in her name for the 6 months does it have to be taxed and Insured in the uk or can it be brought over here and put into my garage for the 6 months and kept it off the road.

You definately have to tax it and I'd imagine insuring it would stop them asking difficult questions. Basically you register it and hand the DVLA the VAT form as well, they forward it on to Customs'n'Excise who send you a bill to the English address for the VAT. To the best of my knowledge, you can't pay the VAT without a registration and road tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 caroline

The one I am looking for is the new model that came out in 2001. I have seen a couple of 97/98s but I just love the new model.

Just look at it, its so good looking and sooooo quick!!!

and.....

• Advertisement

Yes its a lovely car alright - there was a guy on http://forum.hondarevolutions.com/ selling one from London - its probably sold at this stage though.

BTW you might get lucky on the VRT over here - a bloke last year brought in a BMW Alpine 5 series - which didn't exist on the system here, he was charged VRT of 300 euros. Also a friend of mine brought in a Turbo Mazda, which didn't exist on the system, he paid 300 euros also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Hi Caroline,

I like your taste in cars!

I too, was thinking exactly the same about importing a new Integra!

To classify, the RRP for the new Integra in Ireland is 39,000 euro IF they ever come to Ireland, that is.

Hope this helps and best of luck,
    James.

P.S> Not being sexist, but its strange to see such passion about a GOOD car coming from a girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by ondafly
    Yes its a lovely car alright - there was a guy on http://forum.hondarevolutions.com/ selling one from London - its probably sold at this stage though.

BTW you might get lucky on the VRT over here - a bloke last year brought in a BMW Alpine 5 series - which didn't exist on the system here, he was charged VRT of 300 euros. Also a friend of mine brought in a Turbo Mazda, which didn't exist on the system, he paid 300 euros also.

He was later charged 20,000 per month to insure the Alpine....

but seriously, is that a loophole I see there? Is there some legal shenanigan that if the car is not officially a manufacturer import in accordance with SIMI, etc., that they can't just make up a price out of thin air - because if they don't import the car, they can't simply make up a value for it, and so have a set rate.

That really makes it look like they would have charged astromonically for the Alpine if they could have, but couldn't. Why? They will charge if the car has ABS, or A/C and is on an import list.

Are they only able to **** you on cars that are normally imported to dealerships, etc., ?

I don't think you'll get away with it if the car isn't imported normally into Ireland - but those 2 instances were pure luck. Heard about the Alpine from Joe Duffy's - they couldn't believe it either. I'd say it was more a case of too much trouble for the VRT goon to get an accurate price !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

jesus that integra is gorgeous. would love one of them. Didnt know they'd changed the style. Just buy it what ever it costs. Buy it now! And then bring it to portlaoise and let me have a spin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Originally posted by caroline

My Idea is:
    My sister is going to college in the UK in september. If I import the car to the UK into her name I still pay the shipping, 10% but the vat is only 17.5% and there is no VRT. This works out saving me close to €10000.

I know she has to keep it in her name on english plates for 6 months and then she can bring it into ireland without paying VRT.

I have a basic idea of the legislation but I am not sure of some details:

When the car is legally changed over how long does she have to keep the car for in her name. As far as I know she cannot sell it for a year, but can she give it to somebody as a PRESENT say!!

If the car does have to be kept in her name, can I insure it or does she have to??

Thanks
    Caroline

in relation to some of your questions,

Firstly i think your sister has to have it in her name for 12 months as opposed to 6, and when she clears it here it must remain in her name for 12 months, i have never heard of the present thing so i dont know about it.

In relation to the english tax and insurance, you must show proof that the care been legal in england, as they will be checking milage and all that.

It is a nice car and i have to say it looks the part but i have to say it is going to cause way to much hastle for you so maybe you should have a chat with your local honda dealer and see what the story is on the availability in Ireland/Europe. has to work out slightly cheaper.

If you are dead set on buying it from japan send me a pm, i have a brother out there buying cars, he may be able to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

info could be found here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/services/vrt/vrt_3.htm

ondafly,
    Well, I found hard to imagine that guy paid 300yoyos for BMW Alpine 5 series. They will charge you at least for normal 5 series and looks like we talking about new model.
    I know that sometimes they have problem with vrt calculation but they are not stupid. They can charge you only absolute minimum if the car is very old or damaged.

whatever the amount was, i'm sure you will agree that seeing as its got a B10 BiTurbo engine - faster than a Ferrari , it was a huge difference in VRT- but thats the VRT office's fault for not recognizing Alipna as a manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I can vouch for the Alpina story - the car was an E34 1990 model - the VRT office spent 3 months messing the guy around, eventually he told them to charge him for VRT on a 1990 535i - which as mentioned above was little or nothing...

A friend also just imported a 1999 318is from Newry, which was fully loaded with extras - he managed to persuade the VRT office that the extras were standard on the same model down south - €3000 or so was all he paid...

As for the Type R - I didn't realise you had to pay VAT on it, but even if you do, the car will generally end up being cheaper than what you'd pay here... the open market selling price that the VRT office have can be way off - once you import it, you can haggle on it by getting a Honda dealer to confirm the open market price of the car... There are a good few for sale in the UK by the way - might be handier? They're all STG£18K on autotrader.co.uk

Advertisement