Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart = Low Self - Esteem?

Options
  • 17-06-2003 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I peeked inside the post my parents got from CTYI (I'm sneaky :p) and I saw this study yoke, and it says something along the lines of " many talented individuals never express satisfaction in their work and have low self-esteem" or something.

But is this necessarily true? I mean, a lot of people have low self-esteem, but is it a relatively common thing among talented people? I mean, they ARE basing this around a teenage age bracket. And imo there are a lot of people who put it on to look cool (/me looks at teeny-goths) and such. So is it fair to say mere intelligence can be a factor in self-esteem? I mean, social factors can help, but are they also subjective?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Bear with me here

Smarts frequently= weirdness = Social Isolation = Low Self Esteem/arrogance.
    !beer + !tv = homer {
    something.something
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

What nosmo said.

Social isolation / bullying caused by high intelligence tends to cause lack of self-esteem.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

So lets band together and take over the world :P

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Self-whatnow?

:p

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

Smart = Low Self - Esteem?

i don't think that's necessarily true. i think esteem issues are fairly evenly distributed throughout people of all intelligences. and the bullying thing... people are bullied for a variety of reasons and not all people who are bullied have low self-esteem:- i was bullied by an enormous man-girl in first and second year and i REFUSED to let her get me down.
    and she tried everything she could to try and lower my self-esteem and i never gave her the pleasure of succeeding. if anything being bullied raised my self-esteem and i'm now a bit too confident with an inflated sense of self-worth, and i just don't let people bother me.
    i don't think intelligence has a lot to do with it (even though by ctyi standards i'm not that smart & talented, and that's just the plain ole truth, not self-deprecation or low self-esteem), i was never really picked on because i was 'smart', being smart just meant i had better worded come-backs to evil bitch man-girl. AHA, WHO'S THE DADDY NOW...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

People could think you're trying to show off by answering better in class or whatever, spread rumours and that can bring dow someone's self-esteem. I got the same survey. It kind of avoids the main point don't you think?

It never asks questions like "Does your child ever display any signs of low self-esteem at home?" What is the point of asking, "How far do you think your child will go in sports?" when this is an academically based organisation and a parent's thoughts on how good their children are in a particular field?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i'd agree with this. i suffer from low self esteem, which is compensated for by many things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Firstly, to those of you I haven't been in contact with in forever... I'm sorry. Lots of stuff been going on. PM or text me those of you that know me.

Secondly, I never really appeared über intelligent but I was always able to fit in with whatever group I was with... be they idiots, CTYI'ers or anywhere in between. I never really had much self-confidence or self-esteem but I had a big ol' bunch o' personality to make up for that. However, since I met Sara I guess I've grown a whole lot in many different ways and one of those ways is I have a much better opinion of myself... both physically and mentally and I can easily say I am confident in my apperance, opinions and actions. So, in conclusion, I am brilliant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Hmm.. I cant agree with that. Quite a contrast this is to the smartey man arrogance thread. Generalising from self (if you'll suspend belief to accept that I'm fairly smart for a minute), I would have figured that anybody, to use that lovely euphemism, 'talented', would be fairly confident in themselves. Confidence breeds performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I would say intelligence is one of the reasons for being bullied, the there are many other reasons, cráp at sport,akward, werid looking, no reason at all, píssed off the bullier etc... mostly for no reason, or its the bulliers problem.

I would also agree that it wouldn't associated with intelligence. Although in my school, classes are separated by results from 3rd year onwards, so that isnt a problem. No one can see you being a g33k :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

....except for all the other people in your class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

...who are equally geeky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

People can label anything as being a cause of low self-esteem. I think it's just what's different is feared/loathed by the majority. So if you had a group with large numbers of smart people and one.... non-smart person, he would be the one that is the "freak" and he would be more likely to have low self-esteem because he's different.

So if smart people gathered together, than intelligent people will inherit the earth instead of apes. Like in that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

When we own the planet It'll be funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by SOL
    When we own the planet It'll be funny

Nope, smart doesn't let you own the planet.

*points at Mugabe, Bush, and the commumunists*

Need I say more?

Yes, our household had a good laugh at that survey. It's confidential, even though it has your name and address on the envelope beside this code number that's on all the sheets. If I could quote the cover sheet?
    If you choose to participate in this study, you will be asked not to sign your name on the questionnaire

Two paragraphs and a ginger nut biscuit later,
    If you are willing to take part in this study and you are also happy to have your child participate in this study, please sign below

Again, need I say more. Obviously the researcher neglected the word "talented" in the title and reckoned our parents would be fooled. Oh, how we laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Originally posted by article6
    *points at the commumunists*
    Are you trying to say that Marx, Stalin and Lenin were not actually amazingly devious and intelligent? Cause they obviously were. Ive tried to read the Communist Manifesto, its impossible. But by god, you can sense the intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

this thread is silly.

... I mean... <troll>

:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Mystic Fibrosis
    Ive tried to read the Communist Manifesto, its impossible.
    Well I'm just amazed by the on-topicness of this all.

And I agree, this thread is silly.

(None of the above should be taken seriously. I'm just bored. And I'm trying to waste the time between now and CTYI in the most constructive way possible)

Advertisement