Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin V Rest of the Country

Options
  • 07-12-1998 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Maby tis just me but i feel that ppl who subscribe to IOL/IndiBlow/Tinet or whoever should have the same rights as anyone else. Correct me if im wrong..but do ppl who dial into their local node outside Dublin get the same services as Dublin users as in EG. Downloading times... Pings in Quake ? If i log into Dublin at the w/end i get a 150 ping in Quake but if i log into lets say Athlone i get a ping of 400+ ?? Surely there must be more ppl around the Country wiv the same problem or am i just on me own here ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭MikeS

sorry i ment am i the only one wiv this problem ?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Yeah Mike I play from Portlaoise with a 200 ping to the servers if I'm lucky. At weekends that goes down to 120.
    I've had the pleasure of playing from Athlone there about a month back and I too was getting steady 400+ pings (tried iol, tinet and indigo all the same with tinet slightly better than the rest). Athlone seems to be a black spot for pings alright, more so than the rest of the world. Too many ppl online, not enough bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Hey lads,

just a little comment, its not the isp's fault its TE's fault. :)...and they broke the navan node!!!!

Ro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Ah yes, local POP's etc. Ok, first of all during week nites connected to the quake.ie servers from the tinet castleblaney pop, i get decent connections about half the time.

1 nite its very playable, the next its a waste of time.

At weekends i normally used the tinet dublin pop, but i switched this weekend to indigo dublin pop and was getting very good pings with this to the UK, Barrysworld in particular was poor with tinet but excellent with indigo. we're talking 100ms of a difference. This is wierd as tinet & indigo share the same connection to the uk half in half, i can only assume there is more traffic atm on tinets half? or something?

perhaps we should have a weekly ping forecast for the different ISP's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

yes yes yes i agree,

since i started quake ive had shirte [pingsd form galway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I agree, I was connecting from the country and was getting really bad pings at the start, but found a quick solution. Move out of the bogs, and up to Dublin.
    So the next time you want a nice connection, hitch your caravans and drive up to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yadda yadda yadda....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭MikeS

Lo again Folks,

It seems judgeing from the responce from my last post that:

1) The only TE lines that actually seem to be working properly in Ireland are the ones in Dublin

2) I still cant understand though that using my 'bad' line to dial into Dublin results in a better ping becaouse Dublin is 78+ miles away from me and my local node is just 3 ???

3) Castor Troy if ya did want that Dublin V The rest of ireland im sure i could get someyhing going on it but on one condition ye use our Galway/Portlaoise/Athlone etc pop's and we use the Dublin one. Are ya on fer it ???

4) Rev Hellfire do you by any chance work for IOL ? i got that same answer from them as a solution to the problem as well :( hmmmm looks like this is a company joke at our expence :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Damn, I thought you wanted to set up a Dublin V the Rest Q2 match, now that would be a laff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

As regards the pings, when I first started playing Q2 online (about May), I was using Indigo. They were fine to quake.ie (200-230 or so most of the time), but abysmal to Barrysworld, like 600 or so.

So I got a Tinet connection as I'd heard they were much better to BW, and indeed they were. Used that for a while, then Indigo finally got it sorted, so they are actually better and more steady now.

Yesterday I couldnt connect to Indigo at about 2.30 in the afternoon, so I tried Tinet instead. Rubbish pings of about 500 to most servers, and even the lower ones had a constant phonejack icon when I could connect.

Tried a quick game or two, no use. Reconnect to Indigo, succesfully this time, pings back down to 220, but steady. It's not the ping time I mind as much as whether or not you get dissed every thirty seconds. After all, just about all Irish Q2 players are well used to playing with a 140-240 ping, as long as it is steady.

The obvious exception here is Whitewashman, who still only gets 400 to quake.ie. Upgrade that comp will you ffs!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement