Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pings and related things...

Options
  • 17-06-2003 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

In ms-dos prompt, I can only copy what I can see in the ickle dos window.
    I can highlight what I can see, and can't scroll back up to highlight what's gone before.
    Using Windows 98, btw.

I'm sure this is very basic but I just haven't worked out a way to copy, for example, the entire tracert or the entire ping results if I do a continuous ping.

Help... please! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Try outputting the ping/trace to a text file.

e.g: ping www.google.com > c:\windows\desktop\ping.txt or where ever you want the file to be saved to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

highlight it with mouse 2, then click where you wanna paste with mouse 2 and use paste option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

What you want is what Frank said. I'll try and make it a bit clearer if I can.
    The greater-than symbol '>' will send the output of a command to a file. You specify the filename after the greater-than symbol (I recommend typing the file extension as well eg. output.txt). If the file doesn't already exist then it will be created.
    You can use this with all commands afaIk.
    Hope you're sorted with that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Just tried it now.....and ....Woohoo!

Thanks guys.... outputting it to a file worked perfectly!:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This works in DOS and Windows

Mode con lines=50 (normal=25, 43 might be easier to read)
    Mode con cols=40 ;)

In all 32 bit versions of windows
    Open the MsDos prompt (in XP / 2k Start - Run - cmd )
    right click the title bar - into layout tab - and increase the lines to 250 or so. (and if you allow it to modify the shortcut it will apply to all DOS windows )

In XP/NT/2K create a short cut for cmd and drag onto start button.

You can use FIND and ERRORLEVEL to look for the words "Reply" in the file as a way to take action based on pings...

• Advertisement
Advertisement