Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade thoughts

• 17-06-2003 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

I have an old slightly damaged (back to that in a second) Socket 7 system. My first question is what would be the highest clocked processor I could now get for such a beast? Or could I even get one, bar a lucky second-hand purchase.

The damage to the mobo is that a fan can no longer be clipped on securely, but can be attached to one side and left hang. Leads to awful vibrations but its run like that for about 2 years at my mums house.

Basically the system is a PII 300 with 32 Mb RAM (but a couple of free slots). The PSU stopped last christmas and my mum bought herself a modern PC, and gave me the bits that were left of the old one. I'd like to run something off this box, but would rather not shell out lots of cash. A PSU is obviously a must, and if I can track down a mobo manual online I'll be able to tell how much RAM i might be able to stuff in teh little beastie, but the processor really is too slow.

So its buy either:

- PSU, low-range CPU, bag of memory
    - PSU, newish mobo, modern CPU, large bag of memory

I'd like to spend as little as possible. Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Well from what I can see, you'd probably be best off going for an upgrade kit on www.Komplett.ie Plus they also only stock a 233MHz socket 7 CPU.
    Considering the age of the system I think you should be wary of a few things,
    1. The mobo will be old, it'll probably stretch as far as 512MB RAM but no more.
    2. Newer CPU would be hard to come by. From what I can see here* the PII only went as far as 333MHz anyway so there's be little point in looking for a better CPU.
    3. Case probably isn't ATX standard so new PSU, mobo might not fit properly.

Hope that helps you out a bit.

*That page may take a bit of time to load.

Advertisement