Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm an IT grad and I actually just got a job...

• 17-06-2003 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

...as a security guard! ha ha ha ha i bet you thought I'd got one doing programming or something! As if! ha ha ha ha

...please don't ban me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

If anyone else in the IT sector is looking for a job right now, I hear these guys are hiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

actually they're hiring on a coninuous basis and they give €50-€100 for reccommending other people who get hired. It's 8,50 an hour for piss-easy work. If any other IT people are interested let me know. You won't get a better offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I'm goin into 2nd year computer science degree... do you think this offer will still be available in 2-3 years time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I don't think you tried hard enough for an IT job, a friend of a friend has just got a job with HSBC, granted he did have to move to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    I don't think you tried hard enough for an IT job, a friend of a friend has just got a job with HSBC, granted he did have to move to England.
    A lot of people don't want to leave the country, for those who really make the effort there should be decent jobs going in England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm starting a degree in Computer Science in October, will there be any jobs available when I finish in four years or will it still be the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

nah....!

Move to China / India / Outer Mongolia and maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Originally posted by eireboy
    I'm starting a degree in Computer Science in October, will there be any jobs available when I finish in four years or will it still be the same?

Hang on I'll ask my friend who can read the future ;)

I know people who got jobs in China, Japan and England and are doing very well indeed.
    I myself, however, am not leaving Dublin.
    For those of you who don't mind moving, a number of people have got good permanent jobs in the Far East via the Fás Overseas Graduate Placement Scheme. The details of this are on the Fás website.

On the other hand I earned €100 today for sitting outside a burned out castle and reading a book. No stress, nobody giving me **** or even supervising beyond requiring me to ring in every hour.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Hang on I'll ask my friend who can read the future ;)

Well, what did he say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by MrNuked
    I know people who got jobs in China, Japan and England and are doing very well indeed.
    I myself, however, am not leaving Dublin.
    For those of you who don't mind moving, a number of people have got good permanent jobs in the Far East via the Fás Overseas Graduate Placement Scheme. The details of this are on the Fás website.

On the other hand I earned €100 today for sitting outside a burned out castle and reading a book. No stress, nobody giving me **** or even supervising beyond requiring me to ring in every hour.:cool:

Where did you get the job at the castle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by eireboy

how do u no what course ul b doing?

Top Security
    They want people to do at least some night shifts and give long hours.
    But it's just doing the sort of thing I like to do anyway. With different labels. Instead of "reading a book" I am "on static guard duty" and instead of "going for a walk" I am "on patrol".
    They're based in westgate Industrial Park, Ballymount Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think if i fail to get into 3rd year in college I'll be looking for a security job :/

Originally posted by Stephen
    I think if i fail to get into 3rd year in college I'll be looking for a security job :/

At the moment if you graduate from IT its probably what you'd be doing too!

I've got an interview tomorrow for a security job ... pre-emption!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

"They", the economists and media are reporting that the IT sector will come good again and there will be a skill shortage in light of the fact that school leavers are not flocking in to the courses like they used to.

This to me makes sense but the big question is

WHEN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Choosing your course by what ever sector is doing well, and ending up like the some of the dumb**** graduates isn`t the best career choice.

The level of computer graduates is pretty poor at the moment.

Oh and theres plenty of IT jobs on the go, you just have to look for them

How cha like dem apples

Originally posted by bazH
    Choosing your course by what ever sector is doing well, and ending up like the some of the dumb**** graduates isn`t the best career choice.
    I'm a telecoms engineering graduate - dumb fool:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

was speaking generally , peon

• Advertisement

Maybe so but I hold myself up willingly as a classic example of someone who entered into a course because the prospects were good (nae excellent) and emerge 4 years later with an honours degree and no real interest in whatever it was that they were trying to teach me.

You may have been speaking generally but you hit the nail on the head.

Originally posted by bazH

The level of computer graduates is pretty poor at the moment.

Oh and theres plenty of IT jobs on the go, you just have to look for them

How cha like dem apples

Funny then that the Irish Times used to have 3-4 pages full of IT jobs on a Friday whereas now if it has a maybe 3-4 jobs. Ok on a good day its maybe stretching to even to one full column if an agency prints a large add. But I wouldn't call that "plenty".

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Top Security
    They want people to do at least some night shifts and give long hours.
    But it's just doing the sort of thing I like to do anyway. With different labels. Instead of "reading a book" I am "on static guard duty" and instead of "going for a walk" I am "on patrol".
    They're based in westgate Industrial Park, Ballymount Road.

haha, my mate worked down there.
    He used to be in the TV3 doing the security, he always used to bring us down an get smoked outa it

That's true about the level of IT grads.
    Some people come out with good grades while being useless with computers and unable to pick up basic programming skills.
    A lot of what is studied is irrelevant to jobs too, except for extremely specific ones.
    Courses should be more career-focussed and less friendly to people who would be better off studying English or something.
    Think my brain is starting to rot. Forgetting stuff I used to know.
    Fourth year of my course had shockingly little in programming apart from projects.
    The result is someone who can remember theory but is useless with computers comes out above someone who can program well and understands computers, but doesn;t remember theory.
    Employers know that generally though. But it means it is very necessary to prove you have skills by other means than having a good degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

But it means it is very necessary to prove you have skills by other means than having a good degree.

do some city & guilds cert's after you finish you modules on programming then you will have industry regonised qualification they only cost €25 to sit IIRC.

or if you have a bit of spare change do the microsoft exams, or Sun java exam's to get industy relevant qualifications then you would prove that you can program aswell as know the theory behind them.

was looking into those exams...heard they were dreadfully basic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

was looking into those exams...heard they were dreadfully basic

yes the city & guilds are but to a HR person who is going through CV's they can be a filtering point.

also if you do a few cert's you get a diploma and at the end of the day it is a qualification to expand your CV with.

you could do some more difficult one's on the database admin side like Oralce, or on the network side like cisco, they are quite tough but expensive though.

annoys me that HR people with no understanding of technical jobs are often the ones to assess the competancy of an applicant. Like i was asked one time to give an example of a creative solution to a problem and I talked about using an XMLSocket linking a Flash movie to a Java servlet and she just thought I was talking rubbish and asked me for another example.

I got the aforementioned security job today ... woot.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Stephen
    I got the aforementioned security job today ... woot.

Well done. its a lot better than not working.

Advertisement