Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry - Q2 (e)

Options
  • 17-06-2003 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Just thought I'd poitn out that most of 2 (e) is not on the syllabus, in case anyone was concerned about it. Even if no one is, write into shows bitching about it to ensure wha was a relatively easy paper is not marked too hard :P

Here's what I sent to 5-7 Live (anyone here the muppet they had on who had not actually checked the syllabus before going on air?)

To Whom It Concerns,

I've just finished the LC Chemistry exam, higher level, and I want to bring it to your attention that a significant part of Question 2 (e) is not part of the Syllabus.

The question was as follows: "Describe a test you could carry out to show that ethyne is unsaturated. Write an equation for the reaction taking place. Name the organic product"

While the test to determine unsaturation is on the syllabus, as part of Mandatory Experiment 5.2, the equation and product of the test is not. The following is a direct quote from the syllabus as published by the Department Of Education which you can find here:

"Mandatory experiment 5.2 (equations and structures of products not required for the tests for unsaturation)"

Furthermore, this is explicitly stated in Declan Kennedy's Chemistry Live! textbook, which is used by the majority of Leaving Cert students. To quote page 314 of the book: "You are not required to know the equation of the reaction or the names of the products for this course. Hence it will not be discussed further".

It is not acceptable for such a mistake to have taken place, given the safeguards that we are constantly told about with regard to the paper setting proccess.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

Cool! Thought i'd just forgotton it. Q2 woz da only q i didnt really like. got q3 done as a spare afterwards so doesnt really matter much to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dosser

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That is GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!

But.... tell us where to write in, because we're lazy and have "negative feelings" about doing more about exams now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea thats that question gone.... very sloppy.

i'm beginning to think that the paper makers were cramming these tests in before hand, like us. makes me wish i studied more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I got it right anyway I think, I assumed it worked the same as any addition reaction? well we shall see,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

From my understanding of the system, given that it is explicitly stated as of not being on the course, they will either have to reallocate the marks in the question and exclude that portion, or they will have to give full marks for any answer.

Another issue in my mind was Question 11 (c)(ii), where you were asked to give the bonding in the allotropes of carbon other than buckminsterfullerene.

Obviously its Graphite, with covalent bonds in the layers and van der waals forces between the layers, and in diamond it is simply covalently bonded carbons.

However, given that they phrased the question using the word covalent, it was somewhat misleading, as it could lead you to believe that you were missing something.

Anywho, emails to 5-7 Live and to The Irish Times and the The Independent .

Just remember with the Irish Times, since they are uptight about everything, no attachments, and you must have your name, postal address and telephone number on the email.

Get mailing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

hehe ,
    dont do chemistry but i heard your email on the radio :)

fair play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

Are you sure it was mine? I dont think mine got on, at least not on 5-7 Live twixt the obvious hours of 5 and 7.

Advertisement