Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad reception in Dublin

• 17-06-2003 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I saw the other thread about bad reception on TV3 in Limerick with an ariel but I'm living in Dublin and I get bad reception on TV3, TG4, Channel 4(sometimes) and Discovery. Discovery is virtually unwatchable!

I haven't got Digital (yet!) and I have no ariel either. The cable runing into the back of the video is very bad, could this be the problem? I've tried getting up into the attic and fiddling with the cables but still know change.

Also, when I turn the video off the reception in those channels gets a little better and when someone is in the electric shower the reception is terrible and there is a loud noise.

The rest of the channels are crystal clear!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Moved to the Cable board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭oneweb

Exact same problem here. (Dublin too) I've also found it got even worse during the last week or so.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Would those channels you mention all happen to be on Band 1 (as opposed to Band 3) by any chance.

If the outer mesh of the coaxial cable is damaged somewhere it affects Band 1 channels while if the inner core breakes but the braid is intach Band 3 is affected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

TV3 and TG4 are on the same band, Channel 4 and Discovery are on a different band.

BTW Is anyone elses MTV gone mad!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by eireboy
    BTW Is anyone elses MTV gone mad!

Yeah its been like that all afternoon on NTL analogue But its perfect on NTL digital. :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by cableguy
    I'd bet most people with similar problems either have very old cable or did some sort of wiring themselves.

Yes, this cable was put in by my Grandfather in about the 80's, he connected it all up to the attic and it has never been changed.

I'm getting Sky Digital on Friday, will this problem still occur?

BTW, cableguy, when you sayed it was easy to fix, how do I fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

When I lived in Ballinteer (1988?) the cable was so bad we set an aerial in the front garden (can't remeber if it was a pole stuck in ground or fence held it up).

I've never seen decent analog cable.

Advertisement