Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Quirkies. The worst arcade ever.

Options
  • 17-06-2003 7:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭

It's not just the puffy jacket boys who still inhabit this place. It's the games. This place never gets in any new arcade games. They always get the big arcade games in after 6 to 12 months after they are out. Also you will never see any obscure classics in this place such as Ikaruga. i remember they got Virtua tennis a full year after it was released and Dance dance revolution well more than a year after it was out. They also didn't have silent scope 3 until recently. There really isn't any other decent arcades that i know about in Dublin. I heard theres a very good one in tallaght.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭xen

Quirkeys has been **** for a long time put spas still go there,
    Your right they never bother their ass getting new games...

They're ****ing Punks.

PS. I have heard Triads have been hanging out their lately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS. I have heard Triads have been hanging out their lately

Wouldn't surprise me. They might just turf the puffy jacket gangs out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

its full of scangers that just come in to stare at people, they dont even play, its pretty alright place to go for a while now and then .

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It had a good mix of games when it opened, but its been shit for years. Used to go there regularly about 4 or 5 years ago (play some Guitar Freaks and Metal Slug!), then go up the road (Funland?) to play Raiden Fighters... :)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

do they still have gloc there? i aint been in an arcade in years, not since my tekken3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I dont think its too bad. Its bright, alot of staff on hand to help out with dodgy machines. They got in Time Crisis 3, Virtua Cop 3 and Initial D which is alot of fun. The pool area is massive.

I dont have a problem going in there at all I have to say. Maybe its worse at night or something. Point me to a better arcade in Dublin to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eh, the one in Tallaght it gets arcade games in before they are a year old. Virtua cop 3 is a new addition but it's been out for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I go in from time to time, but only if I'm waiting on a film to start in the Savoy/UGC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's as good as anything you'll find in other European capitals like London I'm afraid. The arcade scene is totally dead outside of Japan and a couple of places in California.

Sega and Namco just killed it in the end. The games cost too much to make which makes it expensive for the operators and the users. It also meant they had to stop taking creative risks which is why there's nothing but lightgun and racing games.

The only way to fix the arcade sector is to make really cheap cabinets (perhaps with console hardware) that bars, schools, colleges and fast-food joints could afford to run them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

You cant honestly tell me with a straight face that Dr Quirkies is as good as the Namco Wonderpark or the Trocadero in London.

A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Quirkey's is a hell of alot better than some places i've been in

you can't do anything about the knackers, its not like they rob you is it?

they do get the games in eventually... but if they aren't making as much as they should off them, why should they buy them in brand new and pay a fortune

when even some of them get a console release...

besides quirkey's make their money on the video-poker machines not the video games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    do they still have gloc there? i aint been in an arcade in years, not since my tekken3 days.

Tekken 3? Arcade?

Jesus, I remember playing Tekken 1 in St. Stephen's Green shopping centre, a long long long time ago. Never saw Tekken 3 in the arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Originally posted by theciscokid

besides quirkey's make their money on the video-poker machines not the video games

I think its Irish law that they have to have a certain number of video games for every gambling machine they have.

yeah i heard that before, i wondered if there was any truth to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    Tekken 3? Arcade?

Jesus, I remember playing Tekken 1 in St. Stephen's Green shopping centre, a long long long time ago. Never saw Tekken 3 in the arcade.

erm....... yes. This may come as a shock, but all tekken games started their lives as arcade machines.

Originally posted by Asuka
    You cant honestly tell me with a straight face that Dr Quirkies is as good as the Namco Wonderpark or the Trocadero in London.

A

They're both pretty ****e as well. Sure they have more floorspace but the ratio of good games to bad is much worse than Quirkies.

The problem with most arcade both here and in London is there's no scene for regular players at all. It's all stuff aimed at the casual shopper or tourist. What I'd rather see is a proper community like you get in Japan. The Virtua Fighter 4: Evo system over there is utterly insane. It's the most successful arcade game ever yet there's only one in London, and nobody plays it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Retr0 you must be mad to think that Quirkeys is worse than the Atari Expo in tallaght, what a kip!

The trocadero has a lot of ****e to dilute its good content alright, but Namco Wonderpark is a quality establishment. And I would say that you have your cause and effect wrong anyway: there is no demand for a decent arcade scene over here, so theres no decent arcade scene.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

In fairness, comparing arcades in other countries isn't exactly fair. You wouldn't compare Disneyland with Funderland now, would you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Well in the WHOLE of county Fermanagh (where i live), the most up to date Arcade game I have seen is...... *drum roll* SEGA RALLY 2!!!!!

So if you think where you live is bad, just remember, Seag Rally 2............ all the other games are Mega Drive or earlier aswell, think one Arcade has a Sega Rally 1, but thats it!

• Advertisement

I was at the arcade in Lahinch last Sunday and it was better than I expected.

They had House of the Dead 3 for a euro a play. Stuff like Datona, Ridge Racer, Sega Rally, Confidential Mission, Time Crisis 2 were 50 cent.

And they also had a nice selection of MVS stuff for just 20 cent. Super Sidekicks 2, Neo Turf Masters, Puzzle Bobble clone, Metal Slug, Samurai Showdown 3.

It was mostly humble fair but it was cheap and fun.

Most of the problem is with the operators though. If they tried to promote games by having tournaments they'd do fine. We used have Street Fighter 2 tournies in my local gamestore which were a huge success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭xen

SEGA RALLY 2!!!!!
    Classic Game!!!

I still remember street fighter 2 winner stays on tournaments at the airport and local arcade (ah the memories).

It was a long time ago but I remember the arcades in Court town being excellent. I wasted most of my money on MK2 there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭neohoki

Arcades are too expensive these days anyway *leans on walking stick*
    Yes IIII remember the good old days were i could play metal slug for 20p good times.....

I think that if some of the bigger arcades had held tournaments then there would be a far bigger arcade scene over here. There really isn't any incentive to get a higher score in Ikaruga or to dominate in Virtua Fighter like there is in Japan. I don't think that they will ever be able to gain this popularity outside of Japan. The internet cafes are the new arcades and CS is the new Street Fighter 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'd just like to mention that I actually beat Retrogamer one time. That is all.

Let me correct you. You beat me in one round. Not a match. Also it was one of my first goes on SF alpha 2 not SF2 champion edition which I have been currently undefeated in for the last 6 years since the great upset of 1996 when my weiner of a brother beat me.

I'd also like to say that I once beat Prae in HL and Starcraft. However I'd like to stress once and it was our first ever lan DM game of HL.

i'm sorry to burst your bubble lads - but you are crap!

I is the streetfigter king :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Do I foresee a boards arcade tourney?

• Advertisement

I dont think so Thorbar... I forsee lots of people posting 3-page treatises on why they 'pwned everyone else tbh tbh!!!' and no one reading them.

A

Advertisement