Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Quirkies. The worst arcade ever.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

we did have a bit of an arcade tourny through kaillera a few months back. kdjac kicked everyones collective arse. it was fun for about a week or so, a bit like soldat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Haven't been in there in years.
    Is it still a rip off with a-quid-a-game prices?
    Should be able to buy hourly passes where you get access-all-areas or something... would keep out the people who just want to hang around anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Well I was in Quirkies yesterday and it's massively improved. They completely revamped it since I was there 2 months ago. All the dance machines are gone and they have the following.

2 deluxe Time Crisis 3 machines.

This game is fantastic. The environments are far more interesting than the prequels, the bosses are well designed and there's a ton of strategy to the selectable weapons in later levels.

2 Initial D machines

This game doesn't hit you in the face with its flashy graphics but it's the best Sega racer in years. Great handling, pretty anime cutscenes and cool J-pop soundtrack.

Virtua Cop 3

My favourite game of the day. Lovely uncomplicated shooting with magnificent set pieces. In some sections too many enemies come in spraying bullets, you jam on the slow down pedal and shoot their bullets out of the air.. NICE!

Tokyo Police: Something or other.

A sort of Chase HQ / Burnout 2 hybred by Galeco. The cabinet is fantastic. You sit on a platform and it throws you about. Very easy, I got a good 15 minutes out of my 1 euro.

They also had about 10 Sega Naomi50 big screen sit down cabinets. Two VF4's, 2 SC2's, Metal Slug X, Virtua Tennis 2, Virtua Soccer 3 and a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head. I played a good few games of VF4 having played my PS2 version alot. There's nothing like playing it with a proper Sanwa stick. I was pulling off loads of the harder moves far more reliably.

They also had some sort of 4-player WW2 themed Silent Scope type game by Konami, Crazy Taxi: High Roller, a load of Silent Scope sequels and House of the Dead 3.

I was just walking out the door when the pinball machines caught my eye. They have 3 new Simpsons ones and a Railroad Tycoon. Both are considered fantastic by pinball nuts. I was too out of practice to get far with them but they were certainly entertaining.

That was a hell of alot cheaper and more fun than "Funland" in London. It isn't the biggest arcade in Europe but the quality is right up there. All it really lacks is Fzero AC (which will probably be there shortly), VF4 Evolution and maybe a 2d fighter or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by neohoki
    Arcades are too expensive these days anyway *leans on walking stick*
    Yes IIII remember the good old days were i could play metal slug for 20p good times.....

Newb. I remember when games were 5p and Space Invaders was the king. It was like OMG! COLOUR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    . If they tried to promote games by having tournaments they'd do fine. We used have Street Fighter 2 tournies in my local gamestore which were a huge success.

I probably won that.

Retr0gamer I still remember street fighter 2 winner stays on tournaments at the airport and local arcade (ah the memories).

Probably won those ones as well.

SF2 champion edition which I have been currently undefeated in for the last 6 years since the great upset of 1996 when my weiner of a brother beat me.

Havent played me ,ask in Emu board why my sig has Blanka in it , i so rule :D (ask logie about the 14-0 )

I used to play in local arcade in D 22 and in palmerstown bowling alley (they had the best SF2 cabinet ever it was a real one with pictures on the cabinet n stuff).
    Also in Tallaght bowling alley (not Expo crap) i used to go to Quirkies, Funland "mirrors " (thats was its name) and the one under Burgerland on O Connell Street.

There really isnt many games that would create a scene in an arcade over here i remember me and my mate would go to each Sf2 machine we could find get the top score 1.3 million to thereabouts then watch as others tried to beat it (req 2 perfects and losing a round to gain hit points in EVERY match )

Quirkies isnt bad for one its clean which is a major plus, decentish selection of games as far as arcades go thats about the best in ireland.

There isnt a game out that would make me go to an arcade just to play it.
    Maybe if there was something new that would help change the scene.

ps i rule at Sf2 CE noone ever beats me and i never use Ken or Ryu they to cheap (refer to discostu and the perfect i got on him with Zangief) :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd like to play you. It would make a change getting beaten for once. I used to be great with all characters and was probably the cheesiest ryu player ever. I only got into it again lately and I'm only good with Ryu but I can see tons of places were my strategy used to be much better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by KdjaC

Havent played me ,ask in Emu board why my sig has Blanka in it , i so rule :D (ask logie about the 14-0 )

Ah shut yer face! ;)

*Did I mention I always play with a patch over one eye and standing 15ft from my monitor?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This argument can only be decided with a tournament!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

im sticking up a kaillera server for the night. if anyone wants to play fire away. ill be playing dodonpachi for a few hours if anyone wants to try help me get to level 5 on one credit fire away.

final burn alpha is my weapon of choice, none of this mame borgification lark for me.

the ip is 159.134.101.106:27888

and no hax0ring teh gibson thank you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Originally posted by amp
    Newb. I remember when games were 5p and Space Invaders was the king. It was like OMG! COLOUR!

sap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭MikeyCdublin

the milky way and the bumper cars wer the best things about quirkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

KdjaCL wrote: »

I used to play in local arcade in D 22

Seriously, the two of you were sf2 junkies. :p
    KdjaCL wrote: »
    There really isnt many games that would create a scene in an arcade over here i remember me and my mate would go to each Sf2 machine we could find get the top score 1.3 million

My greatest ever moment in sf2 history was beating the two of you back to back though was on a Snes i think.

:D

It made a change of perfect,perfect loss for me everytime. :(

Wow dragged from the past but not by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow... 4½ year old zombie thread!
    ... and Quirkies sucks even more! 90% slot machines, 10% overpriced arcade machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

im actually shocked retrogamer thought atari expo was a good arcade. its the biggest load of ****

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    im actually shocked retrogamer thought atari expo was a good arcade. its the biggest load of ****

Was never in there. At the time of writing that rant I had a look at the capcom, namco and konami coin-op game locator list pages and all the new games I wanted to see were in Tallaght but not Dr. Quirkies. Also remember a mate ranting about Virtua Tennis being the most amazing looking game he ever saw, he played it in Tallaght. A year later Quirkies got in a cabinet.

I think the last arcade game I got excited about was Metal Slug. Was bored of all the 3D games trying to out do each other with flash graphics when I spied it in Quirkies. Looked like a real arcade game that I used to remember playing and it didn't disappoint gameplaywise. Totally fell in love with it after my first play.

Even the 2D fighting games really annoy me now. The Capcom ones are just so over the top and ridiculous, there's not much strategy there unless you devote a lot of time to it. Street Fighter 3 was a step back from these games an played like the older Capcom games and it was great as a result. Then SNK started selling out for awhile and we got a poor Samurai Showdown 3, Fatal Fury games etc. until they got back on track and gave us SS4 and Garou, then promptly went bankrupt :(

Quirkies is getting worse. Too many shot machines.

If they had one shmup and one SF2 cabinet it'd be 10bajillion times better than it is now. Someone needs to write management a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Management don't give a sh*t. They're happier raking in unemployment benefit and poor addicts' money than keeping gamers amused for a euro or two at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

yea, so anyway, what about this SF II CE or HF tournament ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Giblet wrote: »
    Retr0 you must be mad to think that Quirkeys is worse than the Atari Expo in tallaght, what a kip!

Rubbish. There's some great stuff in Atari Expo and always months ahead of anywhere else. Right now they're got the latest Time Crisis, had House of the Dead 4 for ages, have the new full motion After Burner machine and the new Aliens light gun game. Admittedly there's far too many racing games, but it's still a very good arcade. If only they'd get Derby Owners Club back in, I must have put 100s of euro into that machine.

Have to have a go of that new afterburner game. Looks brillian and hardcore gaming 101 gave it a good impression. Didn't even know there was a new Aliens lightgun game, is it by Sega? I'd say it's brilliant. Pity I'm nowhere near the South side, there isn't even a House of the Dead 4 machine anywhere and that game has been around for about 2 years.

• Advertisement

No, it's not Sega unfortunately, but still a very good game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens:_Extermination

Afterburner Climax is absolute sex. The gameplay system has loads of depth, the cabinet is really pretty and unlike the new Outrun 2 system actually moves nicely instead of having you sliding off your chair the whole time.

And then there's the graphics.. woah. It's up there with Crysis as the nicest looking game out there at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I guess when it comes to Quirkies people who have fond memories love it for what it was, a great arcade with the latest stuff, compared to what it has become, a scumbag magnet.
    When I went there it was a refreshing change from the basment dungeons arcades were during the 80's, in Quirkies you had pleasant surroundings, natural light, room to stroll around, lots of choice, and plenty of Daytona cabs!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

So...are there actually any SF2 cabs left around Dublin anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

So...are there actually any SF2 cabs left around Dublin anywhere?

I have one in my garage needs a capacitor for a hanntrex monitor , gotone by any chance?
    My greatest ever moment in sf2 history was beating the two of you back to back though was on a Snes i think.

Doubtful tbh.

kdjac

Was in the Expo at the weekend with a couple of mates and ended up spending €20 on the 8-player full motion Outrun 2 SP setup. It's one of the best reasons to go to an arcade these days.

It's in quirkies as well iirc. Fantastic game but much tougher to control than on the xbox, thought I was going to ace it easily :)

Advertisement