Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

import W95 outlook express files to W98 Outlook 6

Options
  • 17-06-2003 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

ok, got a computer with W95. The OS is absolutely trashed beyond repair. I can get to the source files for the mailbox folders and I need to import them into W98 outlook express 6, or even use another program to retireve them.

the files (in w95) are'nt DBX files, rather they are bbx or somthing like that. I tried speciflying a directory for the store folder to OE 6 but it wont use the files :(

it is definatly the W95 equiv to the *.dbx files though, same location and nomclature etc, just OE6 doesnt want to know. even opening them manually in wordpad shows the remnants of emails

anyone have experience trying to to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What version of OE is it? OE5 onwards uses DBX files, OE4 used MBX and IDX files.
    In OE6 you can go to File > Import > Messages and import them that way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.slipstick.com/config/win98-wminstall.htm

Windows Messaging and Microsoft Fax are not installed as part of Windows 98. Instead, they are "unsupported" programs located elsewhere on the Windows 98 CD, specifically in the \Tools\Oldwin95\Message folder, in the \Intl or \Us subfolder (as appropriate for U.S. or International English).

If you are using Microsoft Outlook 97/98 and running Wms.exe only to get workgroup postoffice management, I don't know whether the order in which you install matters. The safest course would be to install Wms.exe first, then Outlook.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/windows/readme/98/w98wms-faxtxt.asp

It used to be on the M$site to download ... should still be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

What version of OE is it? OE5 onwards uses DBX files, OE4 used MBX and IDX files.

yea, its the Mbx files that are there. tried to import them to OE6 but it claims that they are not the correct files :( This is the bit that puzzles me!

captain:

its was definatly OE she was using anyway. Hmmmmm. It should just import these sheggin files!

[shakes fist as M$]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Did you copy all the files? One (IDX I think) holds the headers, the others hold the message themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, i ctrl+a'd all of em :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement