Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P4 operating temp

• 17-06-2003 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Have a P4 in my machine but i dont think its operating to its full potential.
    Recently installed BF 1942, and on medium graphics settings it can be a bit jumpy.
    I have 512Mb ram. and while running BF the cpu temperature rises to around 58'C.
    Is this a reasonable temp? Do I need more fans?

I also use alot of musiz appz and they tend work the cpu harder then they should especially Cubase SX.

Anybody got any advice/info on this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Off the top of my head, that temp looks fine - I think it has to be above 75 before you have to worry. Check out intel.com to be sure.

All Intel processors fromt he pentium 3 onwards have temp sensors, so if your CPU reaches critical temperatures, your PC will automatically shut down. This won't prevent any long term damage to your processor, especially if you allow it to happen repeatedly, but should stop your chip from melting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

mine runs at about 42C when running RTCW so you probably could use another fan but its not whats causing your problem...

since you say you noticed it slowing down recently it coulf be just system bloat. I like to do a fresh install every few months to get rid of all the crap that builds up on the system ..
    I also defrag the HDD regularly.. just a few suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks for the replies lads.

Marauder, do you mean a full reinstall of Windows or all the major programs?

Is there any sort of system cleanup programs available to take care of this cos I've spent alot of time optimizing the machine to work with audio software and i would like to avoid doing it all again if i could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

My P4 2.5 runs at 50. BF 1942 is a a jumpy game so i say get the 1.4 patch to fix that it did for me. Yes a fresh install every few months is a great idea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

My P4 2.4 runs at 46-49 idle and often goes to 53-55 when running games. According to intels website I shouldn't be worried unless my machine reaches 71+ degrees and even then it will slow itself down so as not to burn out:) I have a fans and a Zalman flower to keep it cool and quiet. Maybe you should think about getting similar gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My 2.5 ghz p4 clocked at about 2.7ghz never rises above 48c. I'm using the standard P4 HSF. However, I did use quite a lot of arctic silver on the processor, and my case is well ventilated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

wavey abit boards read temps a good bit higher than most so dont worry

Advertisement