Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win vs HW modems

• 18-06-2003 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

So I'm slowly learning that Win modems are ****e and hardware modems are slightly better.

Is this true?

Mine is a Lucent Win modem . Would I be right in guessing from the name that it is a Win modem even though it is a separate card that sits in a pci slot?

Noob question I know, but i despatatly need to improve my connection.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Aye - winmodems are ****e.

A modem MODulates and DEModulates the analogue phone signal. Winmodems simply read and transmit the signal, and pass the work of decoding it onto your processor, which is very slow. A hardware modem does this itself, and is about 50% faster than a winmodem.

They really are dirt cheap too so you've no excuse : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38836

If you're really serious about a fast connection you should look at cable, broadband, or if you live in the asshole of nowhere - ISDN

Advertisement