Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philip Pullman

Options
  • 18-06-2003 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

not sure if this is the right forum for this, but are there any fans of Philip Pullman here?

He was reccomended to me by my local bookshop when I was desperate for new authors and sick of my usual type of stuff. And now I'm hooked. I'm on the last book in a Trilogy called "His Dark Materials". Excellent stuff... does anyone have any comments on him? or can they reccomend any of his other books?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

His Dark Materials is probably the most imaginative and superbly written trilogy I've read in years - absolutely amazing stuff.

I've never read any of Pullman's other books, but I suspect I may have to have a hunt for a few of them next time I'm on Amazon....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

absolutely fantastic trilogy , superb imagination and he even managed to upset the church of england who accused him of heresy !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

because of em in general, or was there something in particular that caused it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Well, the overall plot of the His Dark Materials trilogy is MASSIVELY anti-religious. Really interesting concepts and storyline, but it really swipes at the concepts of organised religion and christianity in particular in a huge way.

That's not a bad thing at all in my view...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mavedic

Fantastic trilogy! I can't believe Harry Potter is more popular than the pullman books. The plot is so original, I was completely hooked from start to finish. I haven't read any of his other work - is it of a similar standard? I will probably check some of them out soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dudeRancher

The Dark Materials trilogy is absolutely fantastic. I remember how I felt when I first read Northern Lights. The style and tone just made me feel like a kid again. Am I the only one who by the end of the first few chapters was desperate for his own daemon? The overall plot of the series is fantastic, epic and something that I aspire to as a writer.

BTW - If anyone manages to find a first edition copy of Northern Lights, believe it or not, I was watching TV one day and saw it go for a grand at auction, and yes I'm talking over the book that was released only a matter of years ago.

Just make sure you take it to the right auction house. ;)

As for other series that are good, I recommend the Ender books. Start with Ender's Game and see what you think, then have a look at Ender's Shadow. Also books that had the same effect Northern Lights had on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

yes I want my own daemon!
    I think mine would be an eternal puppy though.. not a grown up dog cos then I'd have to be a servant.
    anyway I can't believe these books are for kids?
    superb absolutely superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I really enjoyed the books too, but did anyone find the ending quite sad ?

The way he drew from religion and science for his ideas and integrated them was excellent and inspired.

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

I found the ending quite sad but I thought it was highly refreshing, as being a kids book, I thought it was going to end happily ever after, and as we know life doesn't go like that.

I'd be delighted if anyone could reccomend any of his others books???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Got the trilogy for a tenner in the local bookshop. Loved every minut of them. It was well written, well thought out and characters were developed brilliantly. I think that this would make an excellent film, and that somebody should buy the rights to it and make it as soon as the potter hype dies down. Talking Polar Bears and everything :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i picked all 3 up for free at a charity book sale i was working at, haven't gotten around to reading them yet but after reading this thread I might jusyt crack one of em open tonight

(edit-a short time later)

on page 100 of the first book now.. looking pretty damned cool! just don't know *who* to trust any more... this could turn into a favourite.

its a bloody good trilogy.
    that said, havent read teh amber spyglass, does teh storyline finish tehre?

well it *is* a trilogy.. :)

well i just finished book2 (been up all night reading em) and I'm gona start on 3 in a lil bit..
    it's a pretty adictive trilogy and I haven't come across any series of books that's kept me this eager to go on for more in a long while..

the constant religious theme is a tad annoying at some points, but I'm sure it will all come together at the end..

*Sniff*

just finished book 3

damnit, ****ing amazing trilogy and I'moh so sorry to be finished. i just lay in bed and stared at the ceiling for about 15 minutes after I finished book 3, then I got out and came online cos I won't be getting much sleep any time soon after that..

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending.. it was a good end to the story, but it was kinda sad..

thank you for not giving away the ending :P

its always sad to come to the end of a good book, with no sequals to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

sorry about resurecting a dead thread but
    his dark materials is one of the best trilogies i ever read right beside LOTR

the ending was sad..... sniff

tbh, i got a lump in my throat when i was reading it at some parts
    better than harry potter imo

SIGH!
    why does it have to end in only 3 books? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

there is a book set after the dark materials finish called "Lyra's Oxford"

Havent't read it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

i read an interesting op-ed by Pullman in the NY times-

here's the link, if you're so inclined. i believe you have to sign up on the website to access the article, but all you need to do is create a username and a password and they don't bother you after that. sorry about the bother, but i figured it was worth it if you have a few spare minutes.

Pullman Op-Ed

It's called 'Why I don't believe in ghosts' but he talks about much more than that and his philosophy on writing and fantasy and the like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Originally posted by Shinji
    Well, the overall plot of the His Dark Materials trilogy is MASSIVELY anti-religious. Really interesting concepts and storyline, but it really swipes at the concepts of organised religion and christianity in particular in a huge way.

That's not a bad thing at all in my view...

i hated the nothern light s and didnt read any of the other books, but if books of a religious parody are your thing try dan simmons hyperion/endymion series. absolutely excellent, some of my fav books!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Truely Original stuff great books

Recently met him At the Cheltenham Literature Festival and he signed my copy of
    " The Subtle knife"

He was reading from his new book
    "Lyra's Oxford"

Very nice guy
    and i think he love's a bit of colour in his life
    he was wearing the brightest red socks i've every seen!

will be picking the book up soon.

hopefully my copy of the Subtle Knife will be worth something in a few years.

Advertisement