Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Q3/CS/Etc Sucks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Lol :)

Dev - I wasnt referring to you actually :) Or in fact Jaden, whos having his fun, but that is all :)

Im referring to others, some of whom are still around, many of whom are not, and none of whom im going to name :)

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Sometimes I do haa haa but then othertimes I dont, as I've said or rather didnt as the case isnt not.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

isn't that where they came from in the first place ... :D

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Maybe they should have a licensing system for On-Line game players. That would be a good idea. Noobs who start the abusive "cheat0r" crap could have special cops call over to their house and Rodney King them, according to the offences against the muppet act 2003.

I just miss the whole innocence of it all. Right now it's just hit me a little harder than usual. Quake, Gaelcon, Star Trek - they're all things that allowed nerd acceptance. That was when being a nerd was not a great thing to be. Then the boom came, and nerds were cool, which is great I suppose, but I kinda liked it more when it was a badge on honour, moreso than something you spout off about a cocktail parties.

I worry that boards.ie might end up the same way too. I wouldn't like that.

PS - Eamo, Q2 is ghey, deal with it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by Jaden

I worry that boards.ie might end up the same way too. I wouldn't like that.

PS - Eamo, Q2 is ghey, deal with it.

Boards is just a system that allows people to write stuff. It reflects the people who are here. Its always going to be Nerdy cos we'll scare off the non-nerds.

For example a friend of mine (who I honestly like but who is *very* different from me) who works as the finance officer for a large multinational told me there a while ago that she didnt really "get" those odd pictures on the pic'n'mix forum when I directed her attention to them. I honestly thought "phew... so we havent lost it :) "

At this stage, I dont think the "norms" have much of a chance :)

Oh, and eamo... I hate to say it but Jaden is right. Q2 was a hella ghey game. I could light a cigarette waiting for one of those rockets :):)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

An extract from the Wired 4.08 article "Egos at id" for me explains to some extent why it was great. Sorry to post such a long passage, but I suggest you read the original article too. There was alot of tension in the team. Romero left afterwards. They regularly had lan games themselves to let off steam.

It's not a balanced game, that's what makes it better. If you're better than the other player you mash them. I remember hocking some people at work, but my brother would thump me, he'd be mashed by someone from Trinity, and they'd get whooped by someone from the UK, etc.

There was nothing that gave me such an adrenalin shaking buzz as to be powered up with the RL smashing people's decapitated heads off the roof, as they came from left and right entrances, wondering how long I could keep up the flow.

In August 1995, when I first stepped behind the scenes at id, Quake was well underway, with hopes of shipping by Christmas. John Carmack's engine was basically complete. The artists had created a gallery of monsters. The game's environments, although limited, were more than presentable. Quake, in that stifling summer, resembled a spooky medieval theme park still under construction. Stone corridors ended in blank screens, still unfinished by game designers. Gaping pits awaited the fulfillment of lava or water. Nine Inch Nails had recorded some medieval sound effects specifically for the game (clanging swords, anvils, and chains), but most of the noise was temporary, borrowed from other sources. Ponderous wooden doors swung open with an incongruous pneumatic hiss instantly recognizable from Doom. The gorgeous interiors were uninhabited save for an occasional forlorn fire imp - a refugee from Doom, looking very far from home.

Despite so much finished work, id was in a slump. The Quake development process had been protracted and exhausting, marked by delays and false starts. In the game industry, rumors had begun to circulate of id's imminent demise. While every competing 3-D action game was being touted as the "Doom-killer," id itself was struggling to lay claim to the honor.

"Doom's success gave us some trouble," Carmack says. "We knew we could do better with Quake, but we would have to work even harder."

Yet what should have been a tightly coordinated effort had slowly gotten out of synch. Mornings were quiet. Half the development team (admittedly, only a handful of guys) straggled in around lunchtime, settling into private offices crammed with books, games, geckos, weapons, and CDs galore. Founded on teamwork, id's group spirit still prevailed, with plenty of shuttling and shouting across the halls. But it was always possible to withdraw for an hour (or an afternoon) by going into a darkened office and shutting out the rest of the team.

Then the walls came down.

In a move that defied industry doomsayers, id more than doubled its floor space. The old suite was transformed into a maze of drywall and plastic sheeting, with plaster dust everywhere, loose acoustic tiles and cables dangling from the ceiling.

Expelled from their cushy, distraction-filled offices, the whole team - level designers, artists, programmers - went to work in one large war room. Low tables lined the walls; every inch of counter space was occupied by computers and notepads, reference books, soda cans, and personal CD players. Almost every item not directly related to the completion of Quake was gone. The only privacy to be found was between the padded earpieces of headphones. And things would stay this way until Quake was finished.

The move to a war room pushed Quake's production into high gear, encouraging efficiency and closely coordinated teamwork. The spartan quarters also heightened tension. When the stress of developing Quake got to be too much, the room erupted into obscenities, screaming, and violent explosions. Programmers ran to their keyboards, ready to let off steam in vicious, companywide rounds of their own game. It wasn't just fun. It was essential to rigorous product testing.

To put it mildly, Doom is not for everyone. Nor will Quake be. These are designer drugs for the gaming addict, that typically teenage, typically male soul who appears to outsiders to be caught in a sort of spastic fugue as he leans close to his computer, oblivious to other stimuli, twitching and gasping and attempting to see around the edges of the monitor. Occasionally he jumps out of his seat as if someone invisible had come up from behind and jabbed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by phobos
    jI owned both Doom1 & 2, but misplaced it years ago. I had it on 5 floppies (DM2) and 4 for DM1. Anyone know where I can get the full versions online, surely they've gone OS at this stage.

To the best of my knowledge Doom is now released under the GPL. Wolfentein 3d and Quake 1 and 2 are also. The art for these games is not released under the GPL however, so you do need to own a copy of the game media to aquire the game data legally (maps, textures, models ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

The whole "q2 players were the **** qw players" thing is funny. The reason players are **** at a game is because they are new/do not take it seriously/do not play a lot. Not because they are special retards but there are exceptions. Q2 players were probably newbies compared to QW lads, I know I would have been in 1999.

In the early days Q2 would have been full of not so serious newbies or people who were actually too **** for QW. It's not the case in 2003, there are plenty of examples. You can't settle something like that in 1999 and have the result hold for 4 years. I doubt it can ever be settled. Anyway, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent Q2 player nowadays as the majority went to Q3 or quit - and that reflects on Q2. I still like it tho.

Quake3 attempts to be newbie friendly yeah, but it fails miserably, probably ruining FFA in the process. Newbies get the **** kicked out of them at TDM, CTF and 1v1 by anyone who has played the game. They probably wont even get a kill. Go back to the last darkside, first round players meeting Q3 players took 45 - 0 drubbings in 10 minutes. Or you could go back to the last 2v2 comp, luc & dev vs me and vin, yere hardly new to the whole quake thing. If the weapons lacked sting how did the newbies get their arseholes widened so?

It isn't as severe as QW would have been, but it's far from newbie friendly. Newbie friendly is something like CS where you have hope of getting a kill, especially when the public servers full of lousy players. Or going to megalan and kicking the **** out of the so-called CS players if your name is vin.

As to whether new players can judge a game, no, they can't, they know **** all about it. They can tell me if they like it. I don't care what you think about the game I play, you are new. It would be like taking PC Gamer's UT2K3 review seriously. Quake isn't going mainstream, CS is, but Quake isn't one of a kind anymore.

Winning is still everything and the only thing that is wrong with the scene right now is connects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pug {erZ}

Blessed be thy name .. Quake .. and given unto man long ago
    when men were of some worth and the fruit of their loins could
    ill-afford to pay the high taxes imposed and thus the time of Quake/Q2 rained with a peace, harmony and tranquility seldom found - then unto this time came a pestilence spawned from the bounty of the younger races that plunged our lands into a time
    of Chaos ... which rains still unto this day the lands of Q3 run
    rife with abuse and sacralidges that defy belief .. we have begun
    to loose our faith in these troubled times and thus our creator
    has now forsaken us to another to do with as he chooses .. we
    pray for guidance to our new lord and master that he may
    restore these times to their formor glory .. Raven we are
    unworthy - but loyal to our very soul.

saik, I love going to newby sites and kicking the crap out of them... it give me a feeling ofn seniority... which after being one of the first on-line 1to1 DOOM II bashers (i.e. modem link to mate) I believe I am fully entitled to. :cool:

flav0rflav, very interresting extract...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

flav0rflav, is that a new flav0rflav or the old one? :)

and Jaden, age hasn't made you any less ghey:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Speaking from my own experiences..

Back in the day, I had a choice between purchasing Quake and Duke Nukem 3d…I choose the duke back then..simply because it was prettier, despite quake being full 3d, and because it was a heck of a lot more fun.

Things are different these days. Back then ya see, multiplayer gaming wasn’t exactly its best. When you’re on a USRobotics 33.6k modem, pinging 300+ to the indigo servers, you don’t really feel like you’re competing against anybody.

Nowadays, with lan culture, netcafes, and high-spec college machines ( ;) ), it’s a hell of a lot easier to get that competitive fix. Saik does have a good point tho..most of us are waiting around for proper connections.

I’m a hardcore Q3 addict now, and thanks to that..i’ve been back tracking and playing the previous Quakes and ..they are damn fine games. What was once considered ****e is now seen as fun.

One more thing..CS is not a ‘newbie-friendly’ game. It may be easier to get a kill, but there’s a lot less focus on individual skill and aim.

absolutely... this is what did it for me... it is obvious that Quake had the first ever games 3D engine... funnily no one could imagine getting a game these days that did NOT have a 3D engine.

But it was brown, unattractive and the only thing any way interresting was the big fleshy pinky blooby monster - Duke was still the old technology but hellish gaming fun... thus, I call myself The Duke... :cool:.. dito

See Sig. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

See Sig. :)

fag.

tbh.

* Bleached Hair
    * Rugby Tops
    * **** at a ****ty game like Q2

Your gheyness quotient is off the scale.....

* Bleached Hair
    * Rugby Tops
    * **** at a ****ty game like Q2

Your gheyness quotient is off the scale.....

one word

mullet.

I got a haircut, you're still a dyed gorly man......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Amp, Eamo, Help!

Um, sorry I'm late, the PCI Bus was late.

Ehhhh... I never played QW or Winquake or any other of the Quake1 online thing against other humans. I was playing Duke Nukem 3d, and Descent 1+2, over ipx in Digital, almost every night after 5.

I played a couple of games on Q2 on the net but didn't really like it.

I took q3 a bit more seriously in that I was actually in a clan and stuff KCD and then BiO, but as we all know Q3's netcode sucks ass.

And now? Well, tbh after playing a few matches and stopping Team 6 from getting anywhere I'm actually getting into CS. It works lovely over 56k. I don't get the ping dropouts, and by god, I may only live for about 20seconds a round but it's fun.

I may well pick up Q3 again when my bb connection arrives.

In conclusion, I'm not old skool enough to have been part of the original Quake scene, but I think it's days are truly over. It's time to move on, enjoy other games.

Nobody plays Space Invaders much anymore either, mate ;)

I got a haircut, you're still a dyed gorly man......

pfffft!

i havent had bleached hair since '97............

anyway, everyone knows blonds have more fun and are better at fps than mullet-heads.

everyone knows that UT is much better anyway.
    let the qw losers get on witrh playing in a 3x3cm box of pixelated purple and white brown shades.

they all like the rl becuause once oyu have it, you have to be a numpty to lose tbh, and these boys dont like a fair fight. it involves skill to win then
    i think they saw some skill on a qw server once, but it was a q2 player logged in by mistake....

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

you've got a wife? you must go to some lengths to hide this part of your life from her. "what you thinkin honey?" "nothing dear" "oh come on 'jaden', penny for your thoughts?" "oh i was just thinkin how great quake 1 is and how i should probably post a thread up on boards.ie about it, rock the boat abit" "oh right, how about a divorce instead?"

your'e a big nerd. aren't you? yuck. is there a vomit smiley? whats the code for it? something like this :o(*puke*) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Actually after playing a bit of QW at Galwaylan I would like to correct my earlier statement. I have played it before, only using the original Quake over ipx.

Thank you,

Amp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by flav0rflav

It's not a balanced game, that's what makes it better. If you're better than the other player you mash them. I remember hocking some people at work, but my brother would thump me, he'd be mashed by someone from Trinity, and they'd get whooped by someone from the UK, etc.

Very true. Quad damage, blowing someone away. Nothing like it. Holding RL whilst waiting for the rest of the team to get back to you, so much fun. You knew you had a great game when you were covered in sweat at the end of it :)

btw flav, that should be brothers !!

Gav

probably a stupid question but in earlyer messages people played loads of CS.... what the hell is CS...

I thought I'd quetly check the game stores to make sure I don't look daft... but I can't find anything that even resembles those letters.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Verb, preach it.

No game has ever made me sweat like qw.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Cs is Counter-Strike. I take it you live under the sea? :D

thanks [-=RaVeN=-]....

Should have known... so I did quite successfully manage to make my self look daft :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

8-way OpenGL Pong tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 MIXU

People are ranting of how QW is Brown and 3 color shaded, obviously u've been living in the stone ages. OH BUT WAIT, IT IS TEH IGNORANCE, so its ok!

http://www.fuquake.net

Updated, most worked on QW client avail. For all u GFX freaks, it has it... particles, 24 bit textures [YES 24BITS OF QW COLORS *SHOCK*], md3 models etc etc...

Oh, but it still has a crap engine etc?

oh well, maybe having a look at:

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net

will change your mind, that is if you have a decent enough PC to run this Quake1 Engine Mod...

/me awaits the shock and awe of those who still believe it has 3 colors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 MIXU

for those lazy ****nitz who wont/dont even know how to navigate a site :P

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=screenshots.txt

CS was used in the special olympics, gg.

Advertisement