Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using Broadband for Phone calls?

Options
  • 18-06-2003 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Just curious to see if anyone has thought about using Broadband for phone calls within Ireland. I've looked at one or two site - prices seem very resonable - just need to find one the gives cheaper mobile calls...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

what are the sites you use.
    I use go2call for calls to USA and Oz.
    Excellent. Slight lag, 1/10th of a seond but you'ld be surprised how quickley you get used to it ( about 1 minute).
    Their charges are too high for Ireland though so i don't use it for calls here.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Does anyone offer a service similar to this one in ireland ?
    www.voicepulse.com

Basically unlimited phone calls(from what i can see) for a fixed rate per month over your dsl/cable line.

I think i saw an option there from Esat whereby you can get a dedicated dsl line whereby you no longer have to pay eircon's monthly/bi-monthly phone line rental.

If you could get a service like voicepulse then it would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

There was something I had that came free with my old pc called net2phone. Maybe you could try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

i hear that www.vonage.com are good. Especially good if you call the US a lot.

a

That looks quite good though i don't really call the states much.
    What i was looking for was a provider who did that in ireland then i could ditch eircom altogether, but there doesn't seem to be one. Surprise Surprise.

Bambam: You said you found one or two..do you have the links?

On a similar topic when i was talking to esat earlier i asked if they unbundled my line could they then offer their phone services over it with the dsl. The answer was a suitably vague "We've looked into it but it either wasn't feasible or worthwhile" can't remember which.
    So it's Line sharing with Eircom phone services and esat dsl or unbundled esat dsl and no line rental - good, but no voice calls -bad.
    Can't seem to get around paying eircom for my phone line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eircom €22.50 per month - Line rental Only
    NTL €20 per month 600K

Hmmm who is the cheapest for Italian calls ???

eh? don't quite follow..

get the prices like..but ntl don't do phone services anymore do they at least not unless you already have them..do you?(not that i can get them but if you can..great)

do you mean cheapest esat/eircom/ntl to call italy or a broadband service?

NOTE: few cans at this stage so excuse any slowness on my part..

EDIT: is it possible to get ntl broadband if you're not suscribed to their tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

If the other person has a fixed ip address and broadband, you can have free phone calls,
    http://www.avaya.ie/Products_&_Services/Telephones_&_End_User_Devices/ECLIPS/IP_Telephones/default.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

has anyone seen any of those VoIP physical fones yet? i heard they are expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc

On a similar topic when i was talking to esat earlier i asked if they unbundled my line could they then offer their phone services over it with the dsl. The answer was a suitably vague "We've looked into it but it either wasn't feasible or worthwhile" can't remember which.

Yeah, you can only get an "unbundled" dsl line with Esat Business, and it's offered over their infrastructure rather than Eircoms. Might be worth the extra 50 quid per month depending on how many phone calls you make, I guess?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like 80% of thadult population I have a mobile phone.

So if I get NTL BB would it be possible for me to tell eircom what to do with their €23 ?
    The main call cost is to Italy and going via US seems a long way around.. and there is the problem of receving calls.

BTW: you need to pay NTL €17.50 to get the basic package first and only then you can get BB...

Advertisement