Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dole

• 18-06-2003 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Need to find out can a student go on the dole in the summer if he cn't find work.Just finished a cert in Computer Networking and optical communications(got a merit). I injuerd my shoulder last week and tore ligaments and the Doc said it could take 6 weeks to heal and that i wasn't to work.
    So i need to find out if i can get the dole or social welfare cause i need to pay rent
    please help :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ye, you can but you have to do loads of stuff like getting letters and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Cheers eire boy any idea what they look for? I was told u have to wait 3 months before you can get the dole if your a student?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Yes you should be able to get it, but it will take a lot of convincing.

Just don't give up - you are entitled to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Primarily you'll need a letter form college saying that you have finished college. If you havn't, your not entitled to the dole, thanks to government cutbacks int the 90s with the student summer scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭boo-boo

Originally posted by woodyg
    I injuerd my shoulder last week and tore ligaments and the Doc said it could take 6 weeks to heal and that i wasn't to work.
    (

I wouldn't say that to them , as to get the dole you need to be available to work-so if you're injured you're not. I'd get in touch with one of the unemployment groups, the larkin center springs to mind-sorry don't have an address tho'. If you ring liberty hall they should have a contact. Better sort all that stuff out Before you contact the social welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by boo-boo
    I wouldn't say that to them , as to get the dole you need to be available to work-so if you're injured you're not. I'd get in touch with one of the unemployment groups, the larkin center springs to mind-sorry don't have an address tho'. If you ring liberty hall they should have a contact. Better sort all that stuff out Before you contact the social welfare.

you can get disablity benefit if you are unfit for work. You need to have enough PRSI paid to get it. If you dont have enough then keep stum and sign on. They cannot refuse if you are looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

"Primarily you'll need a letter form college saying that you have finished college. If you havn't, your not entitled to the dole, thanks to government cutbacks int the 90s with the student summer scheme"

What if you've applied to do a follow on course in september?
    any one actually manage to get the dole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't know if this applies to you cause you hurt your shoulder but I think people who just graduated are entitled to a jobseekers allowance. It's something like the dole. If you look into that. Don't know how it will affect you with going back to college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    you can get disablity benefit if you are unfit for work. You need to have enough PRSI paid to get it.
    DB sounds like a possibility. If you are in college, you will be given temporary PRSI credits.
    Originally posted by woodyg
    What if you've applied to do a follow on course in september?
    any one actually manage to get the dole?
    There is no guarantee of getting that course.

Advertisement