Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN Emergency Mode

Options
  • 18-06-2003 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

We have a new isdn line from eircom.
    The setup is as follows:
    physicl copper pair into the U port and what seems to be into the Line1 port too on the eircom Plug&play ISDN terminator, which in turn is jacked into a netopia R310-S ISDN router.
    I haven't had a chance to play around with the router enough, but it seems to be working fine.
    The ISDN terminator has the green network LED turned on, but the red power led is off.
    Also when connecting an analogue phone to the LINE2 jack there is no dial-tone, and there fore I can't set the emergency mode priotity to ISDN as opposed to the analogue channel.

Is tehre anything that can be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

U must plug it in to get analogue dialtone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It was plugged in, had the fuse changed and all.

Apparently there was lightening around the time that it "stopped working".
    I'm doing this bit of work in a primary school as a favour, but I don't have much experience with ISDN, having never had a decent chance to play around with it before.

What exactly does this "emergency mode" allow/disallow from normal operation?

I assume the terminator itself is damaged or tripped somehow, and needs to be reset/replaced?
    I'm going ringing eircom tomorrow, so I'd like a little bit of ammo to get a positive result out of them.
    One of the teachers rang them before but they did a "line test" and siad it was fine and that they couldn't send anyone out to look at it because the "isdn guys" are down in Limerick.

My "Dodginess Radar" went off the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

The ISDN termination box (NT) should have two type of output (if it's analogue capable). One type is a digital isdn (S-bus) output, usually rj45 and POTS analogue output rj11. Your standard phone will only work in the analogue output (rj11).

Originally the eircom NT boxes didn't have an analogue interface and you had to either have an isdn phone or an extra converter box. The new NT boxes have analogue interface.

[edit]
    The router should be connected to the S-bus, rj45, interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I have one of the new type NTUs here from when I had ISDN eircom obviously don't want it back as I told them numerous times where to collect it. Anyway if you cant wait for Eircom you can have it I have the manual off it aswell.

Ryan

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    The ISDN termination box (NT) should have two type of output (if it's analogue capable). One type is a digital isdn (S-bus) output, usually rj45 and POTS analogue output rj11. Your standard phone will only work in the analogue output (rj11).

Originally the eircom NT boxes didn't have an analogue interface and you had to either have an isdn phone or an extra converter box. The new NT boxes have analogue interface.

[edit]
    The router should be connected to the S-bus, rj45, interface.

I.

Know.

That is not the problem.

The setup was working fine before, until there was a bout of lightening.
    Now (according to the manual through reference of the LEDs on the terminator) the terminator is in Emergency Mode.
    This is what it said in the manual.
    The reason I mentioned analogue phone jacks and pluggina phone into them is because by using a tone-dialing phone and entering **#73## after the dial tone you can adjust settings in the terminator. One of these (230 or thereabouts) being the priority of maintaining an ISDN channel or an analogue channel in the event of an occurance of this confusing "Emergency Mode".

Can someone with a clue as to what I'm on about please elaborate as it's quite an ambiguous term and there is no information in the manual for the terminator (written by eircom I assume).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Sorry, I hadn't seen your second post when I posted.

What info are you looking for? The power supply and/or the NT handling of the external power supply input would appear to be broken, as the unit will enter emergency mode when it loses external power, as it does not have sufficient power to run both the analogue and digital interfaces.

Right, so I take it I bitch at eircom to get them to replace the NT at no extra cost? :)

Right, from the telnet session to the router form the only machine on the lan (at the moment), I've made a few test connections on the WAN, and it seems to be working, albeit at 64K.
    Conlficting with this though is that when I try to use the router's ping or traceroute functions (on board) to ping www.boards.ie or frink.nuigalway.ie it can't resolve he host names.

Also, having setup a Win2k machine on the lan (the one I'm telnetting into the router with) using the router's DHCP server, and setting the internet connection to use the connection from the LAN I can't ping any external machines (again boards and frink).

Here are a few of the settings, ask if you need to know anything else:

Router:
    Default IP Gateway: 127.0.0.2
    Primary DNS: 194.125.133.10
    Secondary DNS: 194.125.133.11
    Domain Name: indigo.ie
    LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Recieve RIP: both
    Transmit RIP: off
    Circuit Type: ISDN, switched (This sounds right)
    Switch Type: EuroISDN, ETSI (as does this, though there is an option for United Kingdom EuroISDN)
    Directory Number #1: (these are blank, I assume the MRIN number goes here - which I also assume is the phone number for the first "line" or channel)
    Directory Number #2: (again, blank, but I do have the number for the second "line" or channel)
    PBX Prefix: (blank, no internal switchboard, so no need for an external line dialing prefix)
    Datalink Ecapsulation: PPP (this is right)

PC: Win2k machine
    DHCP enabled, aquiring IP, SUbnet, Gateway and Primary and Secondary DNSes automatically.
    When booted, these are 192.168.1.100, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1, 194.125.133.10 and 194.125.133.11 respectively.
    I can ping and telnet from tis machine into the router.

Advertisement