Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUIA Awards

Options
  • 18-06-2003 1:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

just from the off here I'd like to state that I'm not a disgruntled entrant I'm perfectly gracious in defeat.

However, can some of you please visit www.suia.org and have a look at some of the finalists for University students and compare them both to my site (in the siggie) and www.balooba.net (of which I have no affiliation to).

IMHO both of these sites well deserved to be in the finals before some of the others and just so I don't have the "disgruntled entrant" tag I'd like your opinions please.

Someone here said before that these awards were over rated and I foolishly disagreed well I'd just publicily like to apologise for being wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yeah i think it was me(along with others),

Its shocking to thing that some of those sites were thought to be well any good, the state of the college entries are appaling.

Don`t worry though, as SUIA has totally no credability wotsoever amony webbiy heads, their a bit of a joke really.

PS - Your site is mustard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I didn't say for one second that none of the sites were any good as some of them are but there are 2 in particular that I'm thinking of and I won't name either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I blame the judges... who is that Tom Murphy chap anyway? :rolleyes:

hell hath no fury like The Corinthian scorned.

I KNEW there was some reason.

Mr. Murphy was going to do some work for us and we were to meet up I got lost in the amount of meetings I have and confused the meeting date.

When Mr. Murphy rang he was a bit snotty hanging up so I took my business somewhere else.

Oh and for anyone who hasn't copped it yet

SUIA Judge + Tom Murphy = The Corinthian

Originally posted by the-raptor
    Oh and for anyone who hasn't copped it yet

SUIA Judge + Tom Murphy = The Corinthian
    Wrong. I'm not surprised you couldn't remember our meeting, if you can't even remember my name. It wasn't a big job, so I wasn't too bothered about it. Glad you got someone to do the work for you, in the end.

btw, you've libeled no end of people with that post.

Meanwhile on the topic of the thread in question...

/me waits for the inevitable 12-click to follow... :D :rolleyes: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

We all know Tom Murphy is really Bubbles

ok to correct myself

the corinthian = employee of Spin Solutions

SUIA Judge Tom Murphy = also of Spin Solutions

and also if you'd any idea of the amount of new names I deal with every week you'd know why I'm so bad with names

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Corrie works here Cool!, Now i wonder if he will use his invisibility to fight crime or for evil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

youll be correcting yourself for quite a while yet. ill leave you figure it out....

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Excuse me the-raptor... I haven't a fnckin' clue who you are.

*I'm* Tom Murphy. I have never had any dealings with you.

I judged the 15 sites I was given to judge (which were in the 3rd level area as it happens.) Some were excellent, some were absolutely abysmal.

Certainly I didnt see your site which would have ranked highly among my grouping, perhaps not the highest but certainly up there.

Next time you decide to question someones professionalism... do try and make sure you have the right person (and that you arent doing it on his site).

DeV aka Tom Murphy.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by the-raptor
    the corinthian = employee of Spin Solutions
    Wrong again. You don't seem the brightest penny in the purse, do you?

I wouldn’t mind, except my original post was completely unrelated to any business we may have had (or not). With regard to that; You never turned up to a meeting we arranged, the project was very small (less than a grand, if I remember correctly) and I decided not to pursue it as I reckoned, from experience, that you would be more trouble than you’re worth to deal with. You apparently thought similar and got sorted elsewhere. No problem - life goes on.

As for my post, was more my slagging Tom than anything to do with you, tbh. But I think you've figured out that and who he is by now :rolleyes:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Look... stop, just stop ok... you are getting yourself more entangled with your own explanations!!

Corithian does NOT work for Spin or Boards and has never worked with me. The closest relationship is that he shares a flat with Regi and that neither of us are very good at cleaning ovens.
    Beyond that... no connection. Got it? Cool.

Oh thanks for implying that Spin are unprofessional too. Try taking your foot out of your mouth WITHOUT replacing it with your other one...

DeV.

sincerest apologies foot withdrawn as are all claims I really should stop flying off the handle like that and getting myself all muddled up.

Question De Vore seeing as how you didn't see our site I presume someone else judged it am I correct? and if so does it not seem a little silly to allocate certain sites to certain people I presumed the each site would be judged by more than 1 person

ie: 2-3 judges should review a site

anyway does not really matter now apologies to all

My understanding is that each site was judged by more then one judge.

I got about 20 sites to review and reviewed them as impartially as possible. Its quite possibly that were I might give a 7 or 8 to a site for design or content... another judge might give 9-10 or 5-6... beauty being ocularly dependant after all...

DeV.

just wondering thanks

The finals are being judged now. All judges judge all categories.
    just FYI.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

i suck a site into the secondary school thing ... is it that bad like ....

http://www.jason-roe.com/rossmini/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I thought it was the actual content of the site and not the design that had the overall pull :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

That solves the mystery …

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

THATS A NICE SITE Cr8or.... HOW OLD ARE YA? I REALLY LIKE YOUR USE OF COLOURS AND AND SIMPLE LAYOUT.. WORKS WELL!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

About http://www.jason-roe.com/rossmini/

Extremly nice site I must say but remember the merit awards, I had the same problem with www.kerrypages.com never got thru, i emailed them wondering (i know ishoudlnt have but iwas in bit of a mood) well they replied saying i got a merit award.

A merit:

Superior quality or worth; excellence: a proposal of some merit; an ill-advised plan without merit.
    A quality deserving praise or approval; virtue: a store having the merit of being open late.
    Demonstrated ability or achievement: promotions based on merit alone.
    An aspect of character or behavior deserving approval or disapproval. Often used in the plural: judging people according to their merits.
    Christianity. Spiritual credit granted for good works.
    merits
    Law. A party's strict legal rights, excluding jurisdictional, personal, or technical aspects.
    The factual content of a matter, apart from emotional, contextual, or formal considerations.

That makes my day :p you prob got it also Cr8or

by the way i say most of the judges (not including you DeV) dont know how sites are made and how much work they take. My site took months, php and database mysql run. It took a lot of hard work programming it nights and nights but thing is all they see is the front image, not wat goes on behind. thats my opinion but oh well thats life i guess :D

./Webmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

webmonkey, how long it takes to do a website isn't important really. It's the end result that counts really.

- Kevin

Originally posted by p
    webmonkey, how long it takes to do a website isn't important really. It's the end result that counts really.

- Kevin
    I still think i have a point tho. The maintenance of a site is also very important :D

Maybe this should just go for the third levels tho :p

./Webmonkey

I judge sites on several criteria:

1. Content: ie... how usefully is this site to the people it is aimed at. I saw some absolutely stonkingly good sites in my list on this area. (one about surfing/windsurfing etc sticks in my mind).

2. Communication: Can the users communicate if thats appropriate...

3. UI... how easy is it to navigate the site and how lost can I get. Also, how easy is it to get to the info I need. To test this last one I pick a page at random (buy closing my eyes and clicking lots :) ) and look at the content of that page. Thats the content I give myself the task of finding again. Then I go directly to the front page and see how long it takes me to find it.
    It might be info about waxing your surfboard (to extend the example I gave above).... its a good test.

4. Pleasing look and feel. This isnt as important as the others but its nice to have.

5. Currency of information. Anything that says "last updated Jan 2001" is dismissed out of hand.

There are a few other rules but those pretty much cover the basics.

DeV.

I should say that I was assigned 3rd level sites to judge so I didnt see yours.

DeV.

Cool :cool:

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    by the way i say most of the judges (not including you DeV) dont know how sites are made and how much work they take. My site took months, php and database mysql run. It took a lot of hard work programming it nights and nights but thing is all they see is the front image, not wat goes on behind. thats my opinion but oh well thats life i guess :D

./Webmonkey

No offence but so what ?

Why should the judges know how sites are made or how many hours you went off making php scripts ?

Sites are meant to be easy for the user. If they are made aware of your backend its probably because of large load times from bad querers on the db or whatever ;)

Right

• Advertisement

Left

Advertisement