Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.150-5.350 GHz License-free Equipment

Options
  • 18-06-2003 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Mods: If this is the wrong forum, please move. I posted it here because I think it is relevant to the market end of things, though it could also be a consumer issue, d'oh!

Anyway reason I am posting it is that I am too lazy to call ComReg at the moment, and basically am wondering what the position is regarding license-free equipment operating in the 5.150-5.350 GHz band? Equipment is cheaply available for this band, and offers speeds of up to 72mbps (usually 54mbps) with 8 non-overlapping channels of 25MHz each.

Example of equipment operating in this band: http://www.dlink.com/products/wireless/dwla520/ (I think the retail price of this card is about 70 euros)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep you can use it as long as its not a commercial venture then i think you need a telco license if you and your mates buy a leased line and share it using this you can go ahead (if you want big aerials try www.stelladoradus.com get 20k line of site with the right aerial)
    also look at www.irishwan.org for and their bulletin board for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

no, wouldn't go out buying an aerial just yet. The 5.15 stuff doesn't need a licence, but it is for indoor use only. If you want to do outdoors you need to be thinking 5.8 (for which there is a slightly more bureaucracy to deal with).

Advertisement