Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fsbs

• 18-06-2003 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

so can u fill me in on front side bus speed ?

Sorry sad question ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Well, is there anything in particular that you would want to know this for? You might get more relevant information.

Some general points,
    The FSB is the speed at which data can be sent in and out of the CPU.
    Latest P4 FSB is 800MHz, before that 533MHz and the first P4s were 400MHz.
    The P4 Quad Pumps its bus. For the speeds above that's 200MHz quad pumped, 133Mhz quad pumped and 100MHz quad pumped respectively.
    AMD Athlon XPs work at 333MHz and before that 266MHz (I may be wrong, I don't know much about AMDs)
    Intel make a lot of fuss about their FSB speeds whereas AMD don't.

When over clocking a CPU it seems (I havnt had the opportunity myself) you slowly increment your FSB speed, then (for AMDs) you slowly increase your multiplier and then you slowly raise your vcore (voltage). Apparently the Vcore setting is what causes most of the heating in a CPU.

That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Yep, looks good. Just on the AMD:
    AMDs Athlon FSB is double pumped (in Intelese). The newest Athlons use a 200MHz bus doubled to an effective 400MHz FSB. P4s and Athlons have always used similar "true" FSB speeds (started off at 100MHz then 133mhz and then 200mhz*). The only difference is one platform double pumps and the other quad pumps.

AMD Opterons and Athlon64s dont really have FSB speeds anymore due to the different (ie better) designed architecture.

Matt

AMD tried their hand at 166MHz FSB (333 effective) too, while Intel made the jump from 133 straight to 200MHz.

Advertisement