Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSTAINABLE IRELAND- new community

Options
  • 18-06-2003 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hi
    id like to suggest that a new COMMUNITY be set up - SUSTAINABLE IRELAND, in the -public- section of -community- or else if it possible to set up another branch in the -green issues- of -society- similar to the way -phantom fm- is structured (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=64)

SUSTAINABLE IRELAND has been going for 4 years and although already a well established network that sends out monthly bulletin emails, there is still no online forum and this is where we would like to set one up.
    http://www.sustainable.ie/ is the website for SUSTAINABLE IRELAND.

recently the main event of the year was on.....
    Convergence Sustainable Living Festival 2003
    from May 16th to 25th at Cultivate:
    http://www.convergence.sustainable.ie/prog.php gives start of rundown of what went on

Cultivate is Sustainable Ireland's latest and most exciting project: a sustainable living centre located in the heart of Dublin's cultural quarter, Temple Bar. this would have hook ups to this site

Cultivate
    Sustainable Living Centre
    15-19 Essex Street West, Dublin 8

as you can see, there are many different areas of discussion, hence the need for SUSTAINABLE IRELAND, community, to have a structure like that mentioned above.

i think this is the proper method to get started as a community. i also think the next step is to get members of SI to post to this thread stating their support of the setting up of this online community

can you clarify if i have missed anything
    look foreward to hearing from you and in time in becoming a community

thanks

duncan o`cruadhlaoich
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Are you the same nutter that was going on about COMMUNICATION SPACES a while ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 duncan boru

"Ecotopia" is the biggest international camp in Europe, involved in environmental and social issues, that has been held for over 13 years moving from country to country each year and is organized by a local grassroots environmental organization that is part of the EYFA network. Ecotopia has taken place in both Eastern and Western Europe, in Czech Republic, in France, in Hungary, in Holland in Germany, in Scotland, in Findland, in Bulgaria, in Ireland and this year it will be held in Ukraine.

http://www.geocities.com/fuspey/FUSPEY_ecotopia.html

last year it happened in dells woods on the banks of lough derg, outside scarriff in county clare
    @ 1500 people came, lived or visited

it was great
    it was a real step to promote SUSTAINABLE LIVING in ireland, and the world

http://www.paschhoff.com/ecotopia/index.html is a photo album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Is your shift key sticking or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Talliesin

ROFL...

Anyway, wouldn't Green Issues loosely cover this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=929318#post929318

Is another request for COMMUNICATION SPACES but with A DIFFERENT NAME?

I think putting words IN CAPS makes them MORE IMPORTANT.

But seriously duncan boru, you usually need to have people supporting your request for a forum before it gets created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

CUSPY sounded much funnier. Easier to laugh at.

If you want a board, it's so people can join it and talk. If you get those people to voice their support here, you might be in with a shot.

They won't create a board if you're the only one that will use it, and so far you're the only one talking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Wow, lots of open hostility for something no one seems to even understand. Are your egos as small as your peckers?

Cultivate guy: even you should know that splitting people's interests by making them check way too many boards is silly. People visit Green Issues so post there. If you want a cultivate board, set one up on www.cultivate.ie. I'm certainly not against one and I sympathise with everything cultivate does, it's just I know I wouldn't visit it.

Maybe you shouldn't write like a press release, either. Some people go into anaphalactic shock when they see capitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, my ego is about as small as koneko's pecker alright ;)

What's not to understand? He wants a board about sustainable development and stuff. We've already got one called Green Issues.

If there is a lack of understanding it's Duncans non-understanding of boards culture(tm).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

There was no hostility in my post.

If Duncan here genuinely wants a board here he will have to get some people in to voice their support. The lads aren't going to set up the board if Duncan is the only person asking for it. No point in a board for talking to yourself...

Oh and CUSPY is a funny name which is presumably why they changed it...

And yes my pecker is tiny. So tiny it's non-existant :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've no problem with supporting single topic groups in the community section. However we do have a requirement that the at least some of the community come here and voice their support for such a group.

As for hostility or otherwise, everyone here has a right to voice their, civil, opinions. However board creation and other things falls into the "benevolent dictatorship" system :)

Nice looking website btw.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Hmm, what Dev says makes sense.

If enough people will actually use said forum, then it is good else topics related to Sustainable Ireland should threads/stickified in Green Issues.

CUIDADO CON EL GATO.

you can find -green issues- under - society

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=109
    is its link

the FUSPEY network, is a different group/project, there are some crossovers with SI. i was asked by SI to set this up, word has been sent out to members and friends of SI, so if you can be a little patient, im sure people will start adding their support for this -community

perhaps SI will start their own mesage board, as part of their own site, they have not done thidespite requests over the years, it would be very helpful.

again i think phantom fm`s message board (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=64) is the best example of board use i know of

on a site with a similar structure, www.archeire.com for irelands architecture is a very good communication tool

if SI people log on, perhaps they could add a thing or two about what exactly SI does and has achieved over the years, ie

"Sustainable Ireland Co-operative 4th Annual Convergence Festival brings together a host of ideas and solutions helping to create a culture of sustainability.

The Festival will feature conferences, workshops, films, theatre, music and exhibits.

This year's themes include the eco-economy, plant medicines, traditional knowledge, new cosmology, slow food, education for sustainability, natural health, appropriate technology, ecotourism, renewable energy, eco-cities, urban food production, eco-design and community building."

sorry Typedef

can you explain that last post clearer

Sure.

If there are enough people it makes sense to have a seperate forum, else it doesn't, like the man said.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont see a problem with this really tbh... IOFFL doesnt clash with Broadband ... yes theres a commonality but the latter is for talking about Broadband and the former is about talking about organising ourselves to get better broadband.

I hope the sustainability people *do* come... it would ad yet another flavour to our great melting pot :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Are you saying that we should get the 'Wh00t first post' card at the ready?

I think Gordon should be banned in advance... for spam.

I abhore spam you see.

Advertisement