Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING! DIRECT X 6.0

Options
  • 10-12-1998 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Lo all,
    Lads, I need help BIGTIME. I am Quakeless, no Winquake, no Quakeworld and incidently no Real Audio player. (Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh). I was running Direct X 5 yesterday, and everything was fine. I installed 6.0 after downloading it from the Microsoft site, and now I get an "Illegial operation" error when I start Quake up. DOS quake will work, and so will WQ.bat in verysafe mode, so it's deff Direct X. Do not suggest uninstalling 6.0 as this can't be done by normal methods. Trying to install 5.0 again gives an illegial operation error too, as does going into the Direct X tools application. The uninstall part doesn't actually uninstall Direct X 6.0, it just pretends to disable it. Deleting the directory doesn't work either. I can't go on this way, sitting looking at my machine. No-one, even Daaa or Death (or me) deserves this. Cmon guys, I need help here, someone somewhere must have gotten this before, or someone must know how to cure it. There is no way I will consider reformat just to fix this poxy thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

When I downloaded Dx6, Quake2 wouldnt run (along with most other 3dfx games), until i downloaded the Glide 2.54 drivers from www.3dfx.com.

I dont know if this will make any difference to Quake or not, but it did the trick for q2 and the other stuff like Halflife, so maybe give that a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

That's if you're using a 3d card, btw. If you're not, i have no idea what the prob is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

Try starting Quake with -nodirectdraw,
    have to run it like that in college and it doesnt really give us any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

There are 2 version's of directX 6 out.Both windows 95 and 98 versions.Did you install the right version for whichever Os you have on your puter.Try reinstalling directx 6 agin(look for it on any cover disc)as the version you d/l might be corrupt.Serve's ya right for being a q1 girly anyway :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

You wouldnt pray tell be running windows 98 ?
    I seem to remember there been a wee spot of trouble with that and DX6. Theres a special win98 version now of direct X 6.

maybe..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Creed

Dx6Core.exe is the Win98 jobbie.
    Could also be your sound drivers, they will default to Dx too......
    Try running C\ProgramFiles\Directx\Setup\DxDiag.exe and test the Sound and Vid options.

Advertisement