Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One hit wonders that aren't one hit wonders

Options
  • 18-06-2003 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

I was bored today and I had one of those "I wonder what happened to him?" moments. So armed with a cup of tea and a broadband connection I did some research and found some interesting stuff, like Bobby McFerrin the "don't worry be happy" guy. It turns out that he has had a long and succesful career doing acapella, leading the Vienna philharmonic orchestra and more. I searched Kazaa, did some downloading and now I love Bobby McFerrin.
    Another one is Herby Hancock, he had an 80's funky elecrtic thing called "rockit" (download it it's cool) I did a kazaa search for him and I've just found out he is an acomplished jazz/electric jazz misician. His stuff is really fantastic.

Anyway, has anyone else found any gems in the closet?? any 80's/90's one chart hit wonders that deserve a better look??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭lena

Belle Stars - Iko Iko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Originally posted by djk1000

Another one is Herby Hancock, he had an 80's funky elecrtic thing called "rockit"

Herbie Hancock sooooo isn't a one hit wonder!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

"Herbie Hancock sooooo isn't a one hit wonder!!!!"

That's my point. He is a one hit wonder, as far as I can remember he was only in the Irish charts or on Top of the Pops once with "rockit" so...one hit!

He has had a long and fruitful music career that I never knew about until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

You should check out the Head Hunters album by Herbie Hancock, amazing electronic jazz/funk, Watermelon Man is worth the price of the album alone.

Herbie is one of the many graduates from the Miles Davis school of jazz genius's, it's worth checking out the stuff he did with him as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Valley Girl was Frank Zappas one and only hit, but doesn't make him a one hit wonder. He has over 70 albums and sell out tours all over the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by djk1000
    "Herbie Hancock sooooo isn't a one hit wonder!!!!"

That's my point. He is a one hit wonder, as far as I can remember he was only in the Irish charts or on Top of the Pops once with "rockit" so...one hit!

If you judge artists on what has only been in Irish charts, I wonder how much music you have missed.
    One hit wonder in Ireland maybe, but generally you wouldnt define an artist as a one hit wonder by the sales in a specific country unless of course that's the only place they release it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I supose Kraftwerk would fall into that trap with The Model
    proberly being there only Irish chart entry.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Sly and Robbie, Some legit downloads here

I think was (not was) (one and a half hit wonders) went on to be top producers.

Advertisement