Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MY precious eyes

• 18-06-2003 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Well this might be in the wrong forum maybe some of you lot have advice. Anyhows here is the problem.....

I started a summer job working on computers from 9 - 5

I'll usually be on the computer at home checking mail etc. for 1 hour a night maybe more who knows!!!

Anyhows this cant be good for my eyes at all. Was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to let them recover properly. I usually get to bed 11ish and sleep :)

So please dont say sleep :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

i know what you mean i'm in college form 8:30 to 3:45 mon - fri looking at a screen and if thats not bad enough i go to work from 5 to 1 on wednesday and friday and look at them there just take a break every 30 - 40 mins try some of the following

go for a walk
    have a smoke
    go toilet
    just get up and walk off away from the screen

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Read the bumph wot came with the pc . monitor
    re background lighting
    also make sure the refresh rate is not set to 60Hz
    from time to time look at something far away - rest distance for eyes is about 6 feet away - one reason why old primary schools used to have tall ceiling...
    good seating etc..

Perhaps you could check email at work - if you have an hotmail type account and they allow it - their connection is probably faster than the home one - so total viewing time is less.

you could probably chew cold teabags too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

regular mini-breaks are the key to not getting hurt at a desk job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Find out the model of the monitor, download drivers for it.
    Set the resolution to 1024X768 @ 16bit (presumably thats the way you like it) and then, hopefully, depending on the monitor, you can get 100hz refresh rate.

This should help you a bit (the 100hz rr) works for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

if you can afford it and you really suffer from sore eyes, you could buy a lcd screen for work. I ahd really sore eyes for my first 2 months here due to a ****ty 85 hz crt. I bought a decent lcd and my eyes have been fine since. I find it easier on my eyes than my 140hz iiyama crt. And seeing as I don't game much at work, there's no downside :)
    Greg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

You could try and get one of those protective screens that you hang on the monitor. I've neem thinking of getting one of those myself! If you have an IT department whine at the guys there and you should get one. Not all of us have the luxury of getting lcds cos our eyes hurt :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Employment law says that you are entitled to a free checkup (paid for by the employer) and if you need glasses for VDU work then they have to pay for them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When high voltage is applied to the tube - dust is sent into the air by the static (damn power saving) and so you should never have your eyes too close to it on power on.

Also don't try to run too small fonts - 1024 is ok on 17" forget it on a 15" etc...

PS. Check the VDU glasses thing - I seem to recall it only applies if you use a VDU for more than an hour a day...

Re 100Hz Vs, 85Hz - many older monitore emit a final POP! if driven too hard others suffer display quality problems (dim / smaller) so check if the monitor is designed to handle it

Mains here is 50Hz (in the States it is 60Hz so early monitors were in synch with lighting) so at 60Hz there is a 10Hz filcker on the screen - at 75Hz on the monitor the Flicker is 25Hz (TV is 25Hz - movies are 24Hz - most people seem to find this OK) at 85Hz the filicker is at 35Hz which most people can't see

Open something like word - full white screen - look beside the monitor (not at it) as the sides of your eyes are more flicker esensitive - if you can see shimmer it may give you a headache.

I hate the win2K boot up screen (60Hz low res) - it hurts my eyes - this is proof to me that M$ do NOT do real world tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I surf pretty much all day. I bought glasses with special lenses which seem to do the trick. I also use OXY eyedrops morning and night.

Still, my eyes are a lot more bloodshot than they used to be.....anyone know what can be done about the teeny weeny veins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I run my screen at 60 hz and use it a llot at a res of 1280 * 1024, it soesnt effect me inm the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

if you can I'd still suggest running it at a higher refresh rate Truckle. I've been using pc's since 4.77 mhz xt's and the ****ty refresh rates never bothered me. But now even 85hz is not the best for long periods of usage. You may find you get more sensitive to flicker over time. I don't know if it's years of usage or because my eyes are crapper as a 24 year old than they were as a 12 year old :)

Greg

LCD panels do not have the same shimmer effect.

Also frequency tolerance is a personal thing - 24Hz is ok for most people in the cinema - but some people get epilictic fits from it.

Best thing to do is go back to a DOS based email package using a white on black display (lowers the area of flickering light) or better still get one of those things yer man had in the film Sneakers ...

Note: older monitors had phosphors with longer phosphorescence times than newer ones - fast movement left streaks on the screen as the light faded away - but ZERO shimmer and TBH I prefer the colour rendation on them. This is also why putting a brand new monitor on an old pc might be worse for someones eyes..

(it's a bit like the Valve vs. electronics thing in Audio amps - electronics have a lower THD - but just watch the feeding frenzy if you offered a top of the range valve amp for €100 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by quozl
    if you can I'd still suggest running it at a higher refresh rate Truckle. I've been using pc's since 4.77 mhz xt's and the ****ty refresh rates never bothered me. But now even 85hz is not the best for long periods of usage. You may find you get more sensitive to flicker over time. I don't know if it's years of usage or because my eyes are crapper as a 24 year old than they were as a 12 year old :)

Greg

I'm gettin a new monitor that runs a l33t refresh rates so i should be fine :p

Advertisement