Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource?

Options
  • 19-06-2003 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

I am thinkin of going with netsource, spoke to real nice woman other day told me that my line is fine with them,.... hmm.....

€50pm
    NO CAP....

is there somthing i should know?

;)

B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Judging by what others have said, you will probably not be disappointed by Netsource. They are certainly trying their best. Actually they suck compared to what is on offer in other european countries, but if you live in Ireland like all of us here and don't want a cap, you can't get better.

Basically if you do not plan to watch the amount of data you download, they are your best choice. On the other hand if you do not mind a 5 gig cap, go with IOL Broadband who are the cheapest (www.iol.ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

its 66 euro per month cause you gotta take the domain off them, plus when the network is in heavy usage your connection will be lets say erratic at best, somedays youll get BB speed and other days you simply wont and if you after good pings for games for get it, head over to the BB forum and read the posts there

Regards

Shin

Does anyone think that netsource is getting way over threaded in these forums, not just here but in the BB 1 as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The latency is mostly due to Eircom (interleaving), so you will have the same problem no matter what ADSL you get in Irleland, unless you get ADSL via Esat unbundling, which is expensive and they don't have a consumer product through that anymore (the 256kbps one they used to have).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    The latency is mostly due to Eircom (interleaving), so you will have the same problem no matter what ADSL you get in Irleland

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be true, because Netsource have no cap, while all the other companies have a cap, it seems all the heavy downloaders went with Netsource, causing major contention problems.

Also it seems Netsource bought their handover bandwidth from Eircom in 2MB increments, while UTV have hinted that they buy it in 45MB increments (probably the same for Esat) and I wouldn't be suprised to hear that Eircom buy it in 155MB increments.
    This means they will have far more wriggle room then Netsource and heavy users should be more evenly distributed with light and medium users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I'd recommend them - but be warned speeds can become erratic and the pings seem to be an issue for gamers. If you just want it for downloads I'd say go for it - especially as it's uncapped.

Oh - and their support staff are probably the friendliest I've come across and always seems eager to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by aodh_rua
    I'd recommend them - but be warned speeds can become erratic and the pings seem to be an issue for gamers. If you just want it for downloads I'd say go for it - especially as it's uncapped.

Oh - and their support staff are probably the friendliest I've come across and always seems eager to help.

I'd like to think a Company like netsource will getover this hurdle. They have been around for a good while. As most have said, the problem lies with the bandwidth they pourchased from eircom, which initally was only 2mbit/s and soon became flooded. It's now 6mbit/s and apparently being doubled to 12 mbit/s this week.

Lets see how they progress :)

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Thnx guys for all the info ;)

I think I probably will go for them, purely coz theres no cap, which with the other companies we would hit damned quick lol ;)

We download tonnes of music from my mother in laws server each weekend and right now can only get bout 20mbs per night max and it costs a fortune during the week, so no cap, no matter what the speed is really important, besides whatever the speed falls to, its hardly likely to fall below the crappy speeds we r getting from NTL Dialup right now:rolleyes:

B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Whats the story with availability?, can you get netsource outside Dublin?, and is that domain a .ie or a .com? ....
    Whats the average time from order to getting the self install bits in the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by shinzon
    its 66 euro per month cause you gotta take the domain off them, plus when the network is in heavy usage your connection will be lets say erratic at best, somedays youll get BB speed and other days you simply wont and if you after good pings for games for get it, head over to the BB forum and read the posts there

Regards

Shin

Does anyone think that netsource is getting way over threaded in these forums, not just here but in the BB 1 as well

I didn't have to take a domain. I pay €45 a month + VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

She told me that *within* 10 working days the bits an peices would come, adls modem u have to buy urself, or u can buy one for them for 129euro. So ill prolly be scouring the boards for a 2nd hand one in a month or so ;)

far as availability outside dublin and whether its a .ie or .com, i didnt ask as i have many domain names allready and theirs i havent even thought of, however i would imagine its a .com because of all the extra bother with setting up a .ie :)

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Never played an online game ...ever , and don't want to ,but don't be fooled by unlimited downloads ,I'm on netsource now and getting 7kb/sec download ,all I want is a poxy driver ,18 kb ,

long story short ,it can go as high as 50 ,but as low as 5 ,mostly on the low side.

Macker

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kc10

i have netsource in athlone , so its available outside dublin.,got it within a few couple of weeks of sign up. can get it on eircom enabled exchanges i think. how did you not have to pay domain name crap stan, can i call netsource and cancel my domain name thing and save 10 euros a month?, i thought it was something you had to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

STAN:I didn't have to take a domain. I pay €45 a month + VAT

Stan, how was this. i had a discussion about this to louise as i was ordering and was told because its a bussiness service we need you to have a domain with them. she sad all HAVE to get it.

could you please tell me how you were able to avoid paying for this so i can have another chat with louise myself. as i think it is very unfair that its part of the package.

tnx man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Stan ?
    How did you do this??

Let us know,
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Macker
    Never played an online game ...ever , and don't want to ,but don't be fooled by unlimited downloads ,I'm on netsource now and getting 7kb/sec download ,all I want is a poxy driver ,18 kb ,

long story short ,it can go as high as 50 ,but as low as 5 ,mostly on the low side.

Macker
    I find this incorrect, if you're only doing a download of one site then this tends to be an issue, e.g. I get no higher than 17k/sec off microsoft but nither do my m8s on eircom and iols service.

If you're dling off kazaa of course you'r not always gonna get get great speeds because you're connectin to ther users most lkely with dsl so they're upload max is 12/13k as well some of which they'll be using them selves. However, try downloading from multiple sources, add up the speeds and you'll probably get damn close to the max, I've found this to be true anyway, Never had a problem getting max d/l if I'm dling multiple items. Only if it's from a single site, probably because they have some sort of download capping system in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I just filled out the form and that was it. On the form it didn't say anything about a domain and i don't pay for a domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

What is a domain anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

How much space do you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    How much space do you get?

You buy a domain name, not webspace! Webspace cost quite a lot extra!!
    If you just want a .com domain i recommed you put your website in any other country than Ireland as webspace is way too expensive here!! i pay a total of 70 euro for a .dk domain in Denmark, 300 Mb space and free trafic and e-mail accounts. could get a similar .com for 5 euro more a year.
    Netsource should not be allowed to demand a you buy a second product which add no value to the product you really want, this is why is am still not tempted to go with their offer along with rumours of slow speeds, i am waiting for ripwave!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

the more I read on BB the more I'm unimpressed! I can't pick from a bad expensive bunch, but I need BB :( GAMES GAMES GAMES, gotta have more!

Advertisement