Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield: Vietnam [Official]

Options
  • 19-06-2003 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

BFvietnam.jpg

Its official, EA/Dice have announced the development of Battlefield Vietnam on the official BF website.
    EA AND DIGITAL ILLUSIONS ANNOUNCE DEVELOPMENT OF BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., June 19, 2003 – Lock and load your M-16 and grab your flak jacket, it’s time to hit the jungle in Battlefield Vietnam™. Electronic Arts (Nasdaq: ERTS) announced today that Battlefield Vietnam for the PC is under development and expects to debut in early 2004. The title will be published and distributed by Electronic Arts under the EA GAMES™ brand.

The Battlefield franchise is entering a new era with more firepower and beautiful yet ferocious new combat settings. Staying true to the over-the-top, action-packed multiplayer style that gave Battlefield 1942™ its critical and commercial success, Battlefield Vietnam will drop players into some of the Vietnam War’s fiercest battles. Fighting in theatres from jungles surrounding the Ho Chi Minh Trail to the city streets of Hue, players will choose from two well-equipped forces, the United States or the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) and Vietcong.

Offering an arsenal of weapons and vehicles authentic to the Vietnam conflict, players will battle in first-person perspective. The workhorse vehicle for the U.S. during the conflict was the helicopter and it will serve the same purpose in Battlefield Vietnam. The NVA will be outfitted with many Russian-made vehicles including the T-54 tank and Mig-21 jet. Taking a step forward from its franchise predecessors, Battlefield Vietnam will allow passengers to fire from moving vehicles and players will have the ability to airlift other vehicles via helicopter. The game will also deploy new rendering and sound engines that will help take players deeper into the 1960’s mindset.

Battlefield Vietnam, like its brethren Battlefield games, allows players to join forces on teams in games up to 64 players over the Internet, or jump into single player action. Battlefield Vietnam is being developed by Digital Illusions Canada, a subsidiary of Sweden-based Digital Illusions.

From EAgames.com

Bad news for EOD :( .... and they have worked so hard too. This is about as much as i can find out for you now but ill a keep looking! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Bad news in a way for EOD, I'm sure Ea will request them to help them maybe?>
    but good news that its being made by EA.. faster(hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Ok, a bit of more news.

Its being made by Digital Illusions Canada who you can thank for Secret Weapons. DICE Sweden made RTR. They said that Battlefield Vietnam will have "new 'game-technology' that will offer new functions and gameplay possibilities" but im not too sure what that really means. Theres a good bit of talk about DICE changing engines, possibly to the HL2 or Unreal engine (from the Refractor 2 engine which BF1942 runs on) as its believed this will be a totally indopendent mod though this is still just crazy talk.

IGN have got some info on BF Vietnam but its really just all the same stuff at the moment. The new stuff is the actucal release on the DICE website though this is in Swedish, a loose translation leaves us with the following:
    DI develops Battlefield Vitenam

As DI CE AB announced 4 juni 2003 a new deal for the development of a pc-product for the worlds biggest game publisher, EA. The company expect to sell 500,000 copies of BF:Vietnam which will be released spring 2004.

Development is made at DI's canadian office. The game is a stand alone product and is based on DI's own idea, which builds on the succesfull BF1942. The new product is based during the vietnam war.

- It's been made several movies about vietnam and the interest about the conflict is still great. We believe BF:V will sell good, primary in the USA, says Patrick Söderlund, president of DI.

- The contract gives us a garantied productionbudget and BF:V expects good grounds to generate extra income in form of royalties to the company during the next year, says Patrick.

BF:V will have new technology and make new functions and gamemodes avaliable. The levels will be set in streetfights in Saigon and the jungles around Ho Chi Minh Trail. The players can choose between joning two different forces; USA or north vietnam/Vietcong. Examples of vehicles are tanks, helichopters and fighterplanes.

DI released BF1942 in september 2002, with EA. At the end of Mars 2003 it had sold about one miljon units.
    Translation by MrSoldat

Still though, its all very patchy news. The reason behind the change of engine a lot of people think is because the BF1942 engine isint too great at rendering dense jungle scenes... though the EOD team have done a great job with it :D ...

Goodnight anywhys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Winters
    Ok, a bit of more news.

Its being made by Digital Illusions Canada who you can thank for Secret Weapons. DICE Sweden made RTR. They said that Battlefield Vietnam will have "new 'game-technology' that will offer new functions and gameplay possibilities" but im not too sure what that really means. Theres a good bit of talk about DICE changing engines, possibly to the HL2 or Unreal engine (from the Refractor 2 engine which BF1942 runs on) as its believed this will be a totally indopendent mod though this is still just crazy talk.

Still though, its all very patchy news. The reason behind the change of engine a lot of people think is because the BF1942 engine isint too great at rendering dense jungle scenes... though the EOD team have done a great job with it :D ...

Goodnight anywhys!

I cant believe that Source or Warfare engines could possibly be better for this style of game. Neither engine has ever even simulated vehicles, let alone the amount of them in BF1942.

Im sure the new tech would be an addition to the Refractor engine (2.5?) to better enable mass amount of trees. As they say, necessity is the mother of all inventions..

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

What did I post some days ago?

I was right about vietnam, wasn't I?

I think I deserve "the golden Battlefield-Forums needle"?

Or what do you think? ;);)

jow
    PS: And now, we all watch carefully "Battlefield" on discovery channel and we know what we can expect in the next releases....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The EoD team should cope with this, alot of people wont fork out more money for just another MOD, which they could get for free of the EoD team. We'll see how it goes, but I doubt it will effect EoD too much, as by the start of 2004 EoD should be standing on their own 2 feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by jow
    Hi,

What did I post some days ago?

I was right about vietnam, wasn't I?

I think I deserve "the golden Battlefield-Forums needle"?

Or what do you think? ;);)

Or maybe we should burn you for foretelling the future!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94908

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Yes, obviously jow is a witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by Lucutus
    Yes, obviously jow is a witch.

oh come on: Only because I am able to tell you the future?
    Or is it because I can fly on a besom?

I thought the irish were modern people.

But damn!
    Again, I have to leave the country and look out for an other fine place to do my work :ninja:

jow

From what i've heard Is going to be on the BF engine just tweaked a bit more. There are pictures apparently somewhere on the web but i have been unable to find these as of now, ill keep a looking though :)

I have came across the pictures of BF:V. It seems as though there was something on it on PC Gamer. A guy has threw up some scans of the article but they will not be up for too long as it violates something or another.

Here are the pics, 56k'ers beware and remember they will proably be gone soon...

http://www.tedel.com/dante/bfvn2.jpg
    http://www.tedel.com/dante/bfvn3.jpg
    http://www.tedel.com/dante/bfvn4.jpg

Enjoy :)

Though from what it seems it is just a rejiged BF engine with more trees thrown in :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Got round to playing the EoD 12% today,
    its actualy briallant IMo, the rifle men on each side are quite easy to kill the opposite team
    but in the map long sam or something, you really have to keep your eyes pealed, I think I'll be moving to this mod for sometime... :cool:

It really is good ... its a pitty they havent got some single player maps going, would really help its popularity. I mean, i've TRYED to paly it online just that the 56k cant cope and bang back, disconnected.

Its good though. a great mod. 20% is also lookign nice I have to say from what i've seen .... the Napalm :eek: :) .. hopefully they will have some of the old BF maps like Iwo Jima or something working on single player EOD by then ... they just gotta :D

Advertisement