Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hub or switch

Options
  • 19-06-2003 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

Is it better to use a hub or switch (100Mbit) for a gaming lan for 8-12ppl? and which wud u recommend is a good model which is not over €60 and where cud I find it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Also If I could get a guide on setting up the whole thing and which cables to use that would be gr8.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get a switch.

I *should* be able to supply you with cables.

Could help set ye up on the day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

There'd be little difference between a hub and a switch if everyones playing the same game, as packets have to be sent to each machine, if a few ppl are playing and others are copying files across the network lower end hubs can keel over pretty quickly though.. especially with windows/netbios transmissions, so in that case a decent switch would be better.
    There shouldn't be too much of a price difference anyway but if you can always go for a switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

24 port switches are as cheap as 150 euro these days, always go for a switch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

SMC 24 port switch around €200 , switch over hub, always, stops ping spikes.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

switch.

Four legs good two legs bad

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Get a switch.

I *should* be able to supply you with cables.

Could help set ye up on the day too.

Ye thx Syx that wud be sweet. U cud stay too if u wanted and play. We'll have around 16games but more ppl more games, i'm lukin at 10ppl at most and if u do stick around we cud use ur switch ;)

And Thx to every1 else for ur posts

Advertisement