Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desert Combat Helicopters

Options
  • 19-06-2003 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Anyone got some tips on flying the helicopters in Desert Combat. I can barely get them into a stable hover, never mind fly or carry out attacks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Sure.

Use a joystick.

Use small, corrective adjustments on the stick, not pulling the thing around wildly.

Personally, I find the inside cockput view is best.

Spend a lot of time practicing, (we're talking hours/days here), you will get the hang of it and the sense of accomplishment is worth it.

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by Lucutus
    Sure.

Use a joystick.

Use small, corrective adjustments on the stick, not pulling the thing around wildly.

Spend a lot of time practicing, (we're talking hours/days here), you will get the hang of it and the sense of accomplishment is worth it.

Luc

Cheers Locutus - problem is we haven't got any joysticks so we have to make do with keyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Practice is all.....

Took me a while but i totally own in those apache's now :ninja:

I think 0.35E they did some updates and made the helicopters change from impossible to fly to not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I couldnt fly the damn things in the beginning either, but ive gotten the hang of em now, i use a combo ofmouse and keyboard to fly.

And basically its the same as the joystick, small movements only and i mean very small, if you start moving the thing all over the place its nearly impossible to regain the controls and you crash

Regards

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Originally posted by Lucutus
    Sure.

Use a joystick.

Luc

look 4ward to testin ya m8.....i wanna see if u can survive an attack from me when i get in to a mig lol

see ya at darkside

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by shinzon
    I couldnt fly the damn things in the beginning either, but ive gotten the hang of em now, i use a combo ofmouse and keyboard to fly.

And basically its the same as the joystick, small movements only and i mean very small, if you start moving the thing all over the place its nearly impossible to regain the controls and you crash

Regards

Shin
    What he said (none of this Joystick drivel :p)
    Best way to fly is stop correcting yourself half way through the movement (ir: if your turning 180 degree's, turn 90degree's then stop, and slightly tap the other direction so you get a steady stop in your new direction).

And if all goes pearshaped, dont be afraid to keep trying to regain control until the end - it only takes 5 foot of ground to activate a parachute in DC remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I learned by setting myself a challenge, try getting a chopper from an island and landing it on an aircraft carrier, It took me a couple of hours to be able to do it, but pretty soon afterwards I was capping flags and nailing tanks like a mad thing, using mouse/k-board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by Dr4gul4
    look 4ward to testin ya m8.....i wanna see if u can survive an attack from me when i get in to a mig lol

see ya at darkside

D.

Crap, I've said too much. :)

When is the next darkside? Might even go if there's a big DC contingent, and a lift in it ;)

Luc

dude nxt darkside is sat week where have u been....hidin in the music threads i take it.....u had better get on to the big wig ( biohazard) and chat him up so u can squeez in beside us

d.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by shinzon

I dont get these crazy people! Why use the mouse to fly anything, ever. I just run out of space and cant aim (changing the sensitivity didnt help strangly enough).

I recently learned how to fly these yokes. I practiced with a joystick for about 2 hours at a lan and once youve got the idea in your head i found usin the keyboard a doddle. Well a bit harder to aim cuz my dam keyboard wont let me press more then 4 buttons at one time!

Funny things have happend where i was turning and firing both rockets and i briefly let go of the accelerator, and press it as the fifth button. You can see what happens here. Looked dead funny from the tanks point of view as i was just about to nail him then i drift off and crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I find that I use a mixture of both Joystick and Keyboard/Mouse. After 10hours of DC in dNC with no Joystick I quickly got a hold of using the Keyboard/Mouse. I find that flying is easier with the Joystick, its easier to control in air and a lot easier for attacking etc. Although i find landing with Joysticks one of the hardist things to do, your trying to fiddle with the throttle a lot more and so insted of landing with the Joystick, i switch back to Keyboard/Mouse to do this. I find that on the Keyboard and mouse there is less chance of rolling over once your on the ground. I have had that rolling over problem a lot with Joystick, and full reverse throttle doesnt really do much help.

All i can really say, beside my ramble, is that you just need to practice a lot. You must come and do a dNC lan where for hours we play DC and BF and you will get a hold of the choppers then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I just use the joystick, flies fine.
    The choppers in DC are quite similar to the ones on OpFlash (though the latter's are more refined).
    If you knock it about the girl will strike back with a vengence. A woman scorned etc.

"Flying a chopper is much like making love to a beautiful wom...."

Aye Winters, the throttle can be a bitch to use smoothly sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If any of you want a REAL challenge - Download Parrallelworld and try flying one of them choppers, thats what I started on, their 20 times bouncier than the DC ones and thus, go out of control quite a bit more often, however they did pack alot MORE firepower than the DC ones (they fire 2 missiles at once....... and can fire 36 before reloading.............36 PAIRS, thats 72!).

So for any of you so called masters at the DC chopper, try out ParrallelWorld and see how far you last before going splat :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Sorry about being ignorant, but the darkside lan.. is this bring your own comp yea for the night?

Basically yea

But if u ask on the web site www.darksidelan.com, go tot he forum register and ask if there is a spare pc u never know..

it's well worth the trip cos it kicks assss

D.

Advertisement