Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veron Sell or Not??

• 19-06-2003 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Should United cut there loses and get rid of the biggest waste of money ever: Veron??

Sell Veron? 13 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

No, he was very good in the champions league, I think he will be ever better again this year. He is a class player he has just taken his time settling at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

he's not a bad player i mean utd wouldn't haved payed that money if he wasn't but when you think of value for money there may be better options out there if they could get 20 million for him they could buy duff and another good player. I just think he causes a lot of work in games, for a player of his class he gives the ball away far too much. I mean no-one doubts his ability to hit a pass 50 yards and cut a team wide open but his short passes go to opposition more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

If they can get a decent price for him, around €15 million, then I'd sell him. There are better players than him (or at other players better adapted to the premiership), that are available for the same money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Now Beckhams gone theres more pressure on Veron to perform, I believe the potential is there for him to grow into his midfield role now that he's out of Becks's shadow, we are going to see his best ever season with united this year.

He played second fiddle to becks and keano last season, but now he will have no excuses, he will show us all what we have expected to get for that price from the begining. Remeber Andy coles first couple of seasons and teh howlers he missed!!! That on top of being britains most expensive striker at the time. Have patience and we'll be rewarded, we have the likes of scholes and butt in there as-well, although theyre not quite the same class il admit, but combine them with the proabability of signing another Ronaldhino or even duff, i know that we wont really miss Becks in the middle this year.

I just hope veron practices his short passes, and getting it over the wall for his free's!!!

i hope... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Scholes is twice the player Beckham is, how can you say he is not even in the same class. To be honest I think we should keep Veron, I thinkl he was pretty good last season and has the potential to be one of the best players in Europe. Also with Keano becoming more and more injuury prone, we will need the extra cover in midfield. The fee aside, I have always been fairly happy that United signed Veron. i know he give the ball away more then anyone else, but when he plays every attack goes through him at some stage, and he can stroke the ball around beautifully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by Morphéus
    Now Beckhams gone theres more pressure on Veron to perform, I believe the potential is there for him to grow into his midfield role now that he's out of Becks's shadow, we are going to see his best ever season with united this year.

He played second fiddle to becks and keano last season, but now he will have no excuses, he will show us all what we have expected to get for that price from the begining. Remeber Andy coles first couple of seasons and teh howlers he missed!!! That on top of being britains most expensive striker at the time. Have patience and we'll be rewarded, we have the likes of scholes and butt in there as-well, although theyre not quite the same class il admit, but combine them with the proabability of signing another Ronaldhino or even duff, i know that we wont really miss Becks in the middle this year.

I just hope veron practices his short passes, and getting it over the wall for his free's!!!

i hope... :rolleyes:

Well, Morphéus has basically just made my post for me.

Before reading his post I was going to reply with, Now that Beckhams gone, I recon Veron will perform a lot better this season. I still think that defensively Veron is lazy, and cost United a couple of goals at least last season, so he needs to work on that part of his game.

I was also going to mention Andy Cole and his poor start to his United career, but look how well he played after that. I guess the hope is that we see something special from his this year.

Having said all that, it looks like united are going to dip their grubby mits into the transfer market once again and buy yet another midfielder. I think they should invest in some of the young talent that's out there and start building for the next generation of stars.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'd say now that Beckham is gone, United should play Veron out on the right. Sometimes when he plays in central midfield he drops too deep looking for the ball. He is not a deep player, I think Keane should have played deep and Veron should have played a more attacking role. If he plays on the right, he will know his role and I think he'll play well.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

i think veron suffered in his first two years because he had no particular position which he could call his own, maybe now if he has a secure position on the right he might feel more part of the first team. Dont think they should sell him yet, he is after all still the captain of argentina!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

In this years deflated transfer market they`d be luckk to get 15m for him. i think they shud hang on to him. perhaps play him in left midfield if giggs leaves. people must remember that veron was the play maker at Lazio most of the tactics there were built around him. The style of football played in the serie A is a lot different to the premiership. i think in time veron will improve. he showed signs of it last season. well till he got injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭gaizka71

the problem is not to sell or not to sell the problem is to find a buyer....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Veron will never change, he's GREAT when he's given time on the ball, but so am I, this is useless in the premier league, he was a waste of a space is a waste of space and will be a waste of space, all the crap talk about he will perform now that beckham is gone is CRAP he won't suddenly become a world class player because beckham won't be bradishing his fecking hair band around the dressing room, let him go free transfer i don't care just don't put him in any starting 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wouldnt say he was crap after all he single handley destroyed teams in the CL.
    Hes a superb player but Premier league doesnt suit him and i doubt he will play in it much he is made for the CL where he can rip teams apart.

I remember reading an article ages ago about how teams would have 11 players for the leagues and another 11 for the champions league, a bit mad i know but who says it has to be 11.
    The way the transfer market is and with the big clubs still hvaing the big money wouldnt be surprised if Man Utd bought 3 or 4 top quality players like Ronaldinho , Duff, Kewell , Djemba Djemba ,Geremi ,Qaresmo ,french centre back.

Any 4 of those and still have change from 24.5 million and not have to sell any more players.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Why would they sell such a class player like Juan Seba Véron,he is a great asset to the club the only problem is thay he doesnt have his own fixed poisition and has been unlucky with injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

He is a good player its just the english style of play doesn't suit him he'd be better off goin to a club in spain or back to Italy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Veron is a class player. Full stop. But he needs time on the ball, which you just aren't gonna get in England. He was brilliant in Italy, and I think United should throw in their Veron chips while he's still at his peak, and get someone more suited to the English game. They have to get Kewell imo. Cheap. Class. Lazy, bit insane and probably gay too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Veron should be packed on the next flight United can get him on. He has in total played about 5 good games for United, give him time to settle???? It'll be time for him to retire by the time he'll have settled. He's been here too long now to be using that excuse. If anyone comes in with a half decent offer i.e. two euro and a bag of crisps united should take it and bring in Kewell, a quality performer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm surprised that Veron thinks he's on the way out, having payed the money I'd keep him as has been stated he has the chance to claim a place in the starting 11 now but then then if Fergie is serious about Ronaldinho who can say....btw Kewell is heading for Arsenal at the end of the month.

Kewell http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/2996940.stm

Ronaldinho http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/3017556.stm

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Talking like hes leaving the league is the perfect way for him to start leaving - it can't leave a good impression around old trafford.

Beckham was never someone to stop Veron playing good, if anyone it was Keane, but realistically, it was the premiership. He simply gets closed down and harassed too much and seems to give away simple balls too much under pressure. Playing on the right won't save him either.. hes a creative attacking midfielder - if he can't play in that role, then hes got no role. The possibility of keeping him onboard simply for the european element and for more cover during the premiership is interesting. If he'd accept that sort of rotating squad role then he might stay on. Utd's most pressing midfield concern is probably a new Keane style player for the future or a right winger.

Advertisement