Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi prices gone up .. a lot

Options
  • 19-06-2003 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I had someone on monday slap 50c on the meter saying it was a fare increase. He couldn't show it on the fare card so I refused to pay it.

I got a taxi this morning and he had a different fare card. To be honest the fare card looked very dodgy, for example the previous fare cards had the start date to the date when the fair comes in. This only had June 2003.

Then in the extras it had +50c regardless of journey, but for rate 2 they just added an extra increase to that (normally they just add the 50c to the overall price). The only other increase I could see straight off was the soiling charge.

So I checked with the carriage office and it appears to be correct.

So for rate2 now you pay €3.50 to get into the car, and €3.25 for rate 1.

The werid thing is I had spoken with taxi drivers between the two incidents and they all said there had been no price increase. Also the first person I spoke to on phone didn't know there was an increase and I was put through to someone else who said there was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Deregulation was just a timely pre-christmas vote winner for the government. The bottom line is taxi's just can't make the same cash these days and to do so have to hike the prices up. This is also because instead of driving insurance prices down for taxi drivers by having 5 times as many on the roads, the prices have gone up by about 300%. A lot of the older cab drivers who got stung by deregulation and now have massive bills they have to pay need the prices put up too.

By the way interesting aside. It was 5 Euro (4 punts ) for a taxi in wateford city before deregulation. Waterford cabs had no meters and thus operated fixed prices, which meant a taxi to work for me is 5 Euro, except now it costs me up to 11 Euro depending on traffic.

Is this the taxi's fault ? No. Don't ask me why, maybe it's the cost of getting the meters set up, or whatever, but the Waterford taxi's campaigned against metering. Since metering was introduced, prices have shot up, you would have thought it would be in their interests to promote it. You can't blame the taxi's for the high prices. Not down here at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I don't think that raising the fares is going to help. If anything I am more inclined now not to take a taxi, especially at night.

Also only just noticed when looking for the confirmation. Taxi plates are €5000 each, but a wheelchair one is only €150. I wonder how much difference in price of a car vs wheelchair van?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

By the way interesting aside. It was 5 Euro (4 punts ) for a taxi in wateford city before deregulation. Waterford cabs had no meters and thus operated fixed prices, which meant a taxi to work for me is 5 Euro, except now it costs me up to 11 Euro depending on traffic.
    you can still get a hackney cab, you dont *have* to get a taxi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

i never take taxi's

moneygrabbers if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭sligoliner

NiteLink is your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    [By the way interesting aside. It was 5 Euro (4 punts ) for a taxi in wateford city before deregulation. Waterford cabs had no meters and thus operated fixed prices, which meant a taxi to work for me is 5 Euro, except now it costs me up to 11 Euro depending on traffic.

Is this the taxi's fault ? No. Don't ask me why, maybe it's the cost of getting the meters set up, or whatever, but the Waterford taxi's campaigned against metering. Since metering was introduced, prices have shot up, you would have thought it would be in their interests to promote it. You can't blame the taxi's for the high prices. Not down here at least. [/B]

Something similar in Carlow, all the taxies have meters but they are never used as the hackneys charge a flat fare of €5 around town.

I was told that if they charged people the metered fare it would be more than €5 and that they would loose business.

nagero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

The 4 Dublin county councils approved a taxi fare increase last week.

An additional charge of 50 cent will be charged as an extra on each fare. The minimum fare has been raised from €2.75 to €3.00 for 10pm - 8am Mon - Fri and all day sundays, public holidays and now also Christmas eve and new year's eve.

Christmas eve and and new year's eve now count as rate 2 - i.e. 20 cent per 1/9th of a mile or every 30 seconds, whichever happens first.

Charges for 8am - 10pm Mon - Sat remain the same (with the exception of the additional extra 50 cent charge mentioned previously) at 15 cent per 1/9th or every 30 seconds whichever occurs first, with a minimum fare of €2.75.

Note that minimum fare is not inclusive of the additional 50 cent charge, so the effective minimum charges are €3.25 & €3.50 respectively.

Confirmation of these fares can be obtained by phoning the Carriage Office.

Advertisement