Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best dj?

• 19-06-2003 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Who is, in your opinion, the best dj ever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Dj ted in clonakility's underage disco in the 'Boiler Room'.
    Great days i used get pissed and score with loads of ol'dolls.
    Ted was the greatest especially with the immortial lines like "Get off the stage the cd player is skipping". Yeah he knew how to get the party started. Mmmm fond memories.

/off to get a 10pack of fags, a naggen of count rostov/smirnoff, a 13 year old and a copy of now 15/ mn8's album and head for the GAA hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by mooman_00
    Ted was the greatest especially with the immortial lines like "Get off the stage the cd player is skipping". Yeah he knew how to get the party started. Mmmm fond memories.
    roffle, sounds like a real diamond geezer.

take the piss all you want, but my favourite dj is billy nasty.
    seen him 4-5 times & each time was one of my best nights out.
    and all the live sets/essential mix's/torture chamber cd's of his i have just beg to be listened to from the start as a continuous set.
    and it's not just the alcyhol talking tbh, he roxors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

gotta be the tidy boys for sheer madness

or

mauro for entertainment value... he knows how to put on a show.

Sasha in the RedBox net Friday, now hes a mint DJ!!

Get in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the tidy boys and mauro picotto play hard house which automatically disqualify them from the race... only ****s play hard house see?

techno - mmm.... tricky... jeff mills plays hard, but fumiya tanaka has the FUNK. fumiya tanaka it is.

deep house - kerri chandler OR pete heller [but only if he plays the same set he played at the kitchen in 2000 *genius*]

hip hop - not too bothered really.... turntablism doesnt really float my boat, although i admire the dedication neccesary to become as good as the loike of craze or a-trak.

drum and bass - tricky one too... for innovation Bailey, for fun, energy and scratching Marky, for pure stoopid top ten darkside anthems the first time you ever see andy c will blow you away as long as youre not wearing your thinking cap... i'll go with marky, his sets always blow me away, and i would LOOOVE to go to that 7000 ppl drum and bass rave in a cave outside of sao paolo for one of markys six hour sets...

Originally posted by [cm]tyranny
    the tidy boys and mauro picotto play hard house which automatically disqualify them from the race...

picotto play hard house..... eh NO!!!

you talk crazy boy. Trance all the way. just cause he is signed to BXR doesnt mean he had to play hard ouse. i agree that hard house is c-rap though.

you a crazy boy. picotto is never hard house!!! agh thats really annoyed me now!

• Advertisement

the tidy boys and mauro picotto play hard house which automatically disqualify them from the race... only ****s play hard house see?
    hmmm, from now on i'll call you Helix2 - opinionated hard house hating beard stroker;)

except helix likes picotto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

Picotto got all the beats to keep ya jumpin!!!
    Back To Cali
    Pure Genius
    Unfortunate to miss him at gatecrasher last winter ,Marco V more than made up for his absence though.

get his album, "The others" if ya can.

one thing about picotto, he was sH1te at creamfields last year, cause they pulled the plug on him an hour early!

bastar-ds

nah VinnyL, he was ****e at creamfeilds because he thought he had more time to play than he did, stoopid ittalin, learn to read a clock ffs.
    it was only starting to get kicking towards the last 10 mins of his set, the rest of it was stuff that would have sounded better played at 2 in the afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Justin robertson
    Jeff mills
    Felix da Housecat
    Phil Kieran (seen him at the weekend, very impressed!!)
    Umek
    Green Velvet (not strictly a DJ, but Fupping amazing!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ill give you the benefit of the doubt and assume youre hard of hearing... picotto plays TECHNO not hard house, and he has also NEVER played hard house either

besides that tho, picotto is a **** dj and cant mix. thats what disqualifies him

best dj ever has to be a choice of the 3 grandfathers of house:

larry levan
    frankie knuckles
    farley jackmaster funk

obviously theyre gonna piss all over anyone else technically just coz of the sheer amount of time theyve been djing (well, levans dead now but did more for dance than any other man)

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    Felix da Housecat
    Phil Kieran (seen him at the weekend, very impressed!!)

how can 2 of the worst mixers on the djing cirtuit be mentioned in a best dj thread? theyre both pathetic

tho felix plays top top tunes, would bt nice if he could beatmatch all the same

Originally posted by tman
    nah VinnyL, he was ****e at creamfeilds because he thought he had more time to play than he did, stoopid ittalin, learn to read a clock ffs.

vinny is in fact correct, picotto was told by the organisers he had an hour longer than he did and was just starting to get things going when they cut the sound

really liked that set tho

Originally posted by VinnyL
    picotto play hard house..... eh NO!!!

you talk crazy boy. Trance all the way. just cause he is signed to BXR doesnt mean he had to play hard ouse

1) he doesnt play trance he plays techno

2) he left bxr 6 months ago and is now with primate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Vlad_Tepes

I saw Picotto live. Crap, that is. Nothing ele
    Best Djs are:
    PCP
    Marc Acardipane
    Sven Väth @Cocoon, Amnesia, Ibiza 2001
    Paul Elstak
    HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE
    and Trance neither

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Saw DJ Dero 3 years ago at LP in Berlin. Pure class, was much better than PvanD and Carl Cox and all the larger name guys that followed after (imho)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I shall come back to this after my visit of I love techno, also might go to LP too :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 trickster

paul oakenfold for being unbeliveably good on his day and sasha for being consistantly good. oakenfold finds the best songs to play (ppk- reserection) instead of some other djs who just play chart crap cos its "in" at the moment

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

oakenfold has gona poo the past few years,
    hes gone all commerical
    he even played ppk - ressurection???
    That was such a commerical tune **** sakes!
    He's taken the route of getting famour, now lets make some serious money and make all cheesy tunes and hit the charts..
    what other Dj's are you talking about that play chart crap because tis "in" at the moment?
    You been going to gigi's too much and listening to Frank Kennedy? ;p

wouldnt hold it against oakie that hes goin the pop route personally lenny, to be honest if i ever make anythin outta meself ill serve me time in the underground and then produce good quality intelligent pop music

not for money, but coz i honestly wanna make decent pop music ala nelly furtado/sugababes but doing that early in your career will cripple your credability

im pretty sure oakie was probably of the same opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 trickster

the only reason ppk became commercial was because oakenfold played it all the time and it was such a good tune. he was playing it for 2 months before anyone even knew the name of it. i wouldnt say he playes commercial tunes i cant recall any dj i know playing idiotheque by radiohead and making it sound good. fair enough him with that band is poor but at least hes trying something. his dj sets still sound better than the average dj

resurrection was cheezy dirt when oakie played it, it was cheezy dirt when it charted, it was cheezy dirt when everyone forgot about it, its STILL cheezy dirt

in fairness it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up the first time i heard it, oakie playing it at creamfields 2k1:)
    took me a few weeks to find out the name of it & then d/l it, i got sick of it after another 2 weeks & then it started getting radio play a month after that, i well & truely hated it by then.

Originally posted by Helix
    1) he doesnt play trance he plays techno

2) he left bxr 6 months ago and is now with primate

my bad about the label, but i'd have to disagree bout Techno-

tunes such as "like a dog" and "back to cali" i would class as trance. just my opinion though...

back to cali is trance, like a dog is techno

plus i havent heard picotto actually PLAYING a trance tune in a long long time

i think itd probs be when he played back to cali in gatecrasher in feb 2002 at one of his 6 hour sets

thats the last time i can recall it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭pyramid man

well i gotta say that the tidy boys are pure and utter class. jon bishop and lee halsam and lisa lashes. some of the nukleuz crew are pretty cool though. oh yeah and ferry corsten, tiesto and van buren are class together (eg gouryella)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

i saw tiesto supporting dave clarke in eindhoven a few months ago andi thought he was the biggest load of ****e ever! ok, im not into the tunes he plays for starters, but aside from that he was all over the place, there was no flow to his set at all, it was like he was just picking out any old records at random and lashing them on... big proggy trancey anthem bashing....
    then dave clarke came on and wiped teh floor with him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Laurent Garnier tbh (pff, kids)

garnier isnt a patch on jackmaster funk

no dj on the scene today is

• Advertisement
Advertisement