Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Messaging of late.....

• 19-06-2003 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Incidence of Windows Messaging Pop-Ups with ads is way up. Normally that wouldn't bother me, as I disable the service, and it ignores the request.

However, I got one this morning. "So what?" you might say. Well, this morning I wasn't on a dial-up at home. I was at work on a company network, behind a very strong Firewall and Router. It appears that the pop-up message was sent external to the network, and somehow got through.

I already block Port 135 inbound and outbound, so I'm wondering how else can this happen? RPC? I'm at a bit of a loss TBH. The only other explanation I've got is that a machine has been compromised inside. Poo.

Anyone else get this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

download adaware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

hi,
    it doesnt have to be sent externally to appear internally..

did you check for spyware also..
    verify all running exes are your own..
    local registry run,
    starup directory and
    usual locations are a good pointer

Cheers
    Derm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

How odd, I have only ever got an ad once in the years Im using MSN. Do you put your names in the MS directory?

I dont have (or need) any 3rd party ad blockers either.

matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

no
    this is the messenger service that runs under NT ..
    used by admins when rebooting server,
    tell users to log off or whatever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I saw an article on slashdot about this ages ago ... apparently some company has started offering this as a marketing tool ... they fire off the message and it can go through any firewall etc no bother .. the fix was to stop the messenger service, but apparently they found a way around that too ... I've just had a look for the article without any joy .... there must be something on the security websites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You'll need to block incoming packets to UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 (assuming you can't turn the messenger service off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Sico
    You'll need to block incoming packets to UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 (assuming you can't turn the messenger service off)
    Originally posted by Jaden
    Incidence of Windows Messaging Pop-Ups with ads is way up. Normally that wouldn't bother me, as I disable the service, and it ignores the request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can we get back to the problem!!!!! I am having the same problem, MSN messenger will not allow me to send files, it will allow me to receive the files.

I have done some trouble shooting, I am able to do it using a dial up connection but not using my ADSL connection. I think it may be something to do with the router I am going through. It is a LinkSys Router/Modem/Firewall/Switch in one box. We have one static IP address and there is 6 computers on the network. I am guessing it is to do with this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Msn Messenger and what is being discussed here the messenger service in windows are totally two seperate things!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Windows Messenger is the same as MSN Messenger!! I presume you are talking about Instant Messaging here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

re-read the thread, they are talking about windows messaging service, not instant messaging, its an NT service. go to control panel- administrative tools - services to see what is being discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I got one when I logged in here. First one I've ever seen. In UCD, behind legions of firewalls and routers (although things have been relaxed to allow Special Olympics people to access web services).

Just another frontier to battle the spammers on :mad:

It also occured to me that someone could have unwittingly d/l'd some program which does in internally. So all the firewalls in the world won't make a difference. :/

Advertisement