Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any possibility of EL team making CL proper?

• 19-06-2003 12:11pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I would like to hear any views on whether or not an Eircom League team can make the CL proper over the next few years. And if so, how could this improve the game in Ireland - mainly as a result of the revenue generated.

Personally I think that it is possible and it is only a matter of time before we see it happen. The problem is that for it to make any difference to football in Ireland, it will have to happen on a regular basis. Unfortunately if a team does make it to the CL proper it doesn't improve their chances in making it again. They would still need to win the EL again and also be successful through the qualifying rounds.

There does seem to be a lot of barriers against us

Hyzepher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I thought this season might have been the season but judging by the league table Bohs have had a very poor start to the season. What the EL really needs is a few Jack Walker figures to come in and invest heavily in the clubs. Obviously not to the same scale as Walker did at Blackburn, but if that happens at say two clubs, the other clubs will improve also and the bar will be raised. By the wayWhat ever happened about the rumours of Ben Dunne going in with Shamrock Rovers?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

AS far as I know there was some conflict between the builder of Rover's stadium and the fact that Ben Dunne was building a gym at the stadium. I think the builder has his finger in the gym scene and was put out by Ben Dunne's presence. I dont know where this leaves Rovers though - couldn't care either.

I do know that Bohs are pushing membership in the club, hoping to raise revenue etc. This looks like a good deal as the club is owed by the members and any CL success would have its rewards.

In fairness EL clubs should be a football investors dream. Some good investment in any of the clubs could easily make them the best in the country - money talks. As a result success in the CL may come easier to them. The EL could provide easy entry to the CL if a team could dominate domestically.

Afterall the gates receipts for an EL team would be insignificant if they achieved CL proper status - so fan base is not an issue

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

i think the EL teams are waaaay off a CL proper spot, i mean they very rarely win their qualifiers in either the UEFA cup or the CL, and thats against teams from malta etc ( think shelbourne lost to a malteese team last year? ).

Id love to see it tho but i really dont think that the teams have anywhere near the quality yet but i think theyre making progress

Well shels got beaten 3-2 by hibs last year - no disgrace. Bohs got to the secong qualifier the year before and narrowly missed out.

I think people are too quick to put down the EL teams - the purpose of the qualifiers is too weed out the lesser teams before the CL proper - hense bar a couple of teams the EL clubs should be able to hold there own.

I think it is put a matter of time.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

If RTE would show a little f*cking interest and televise some of the matches it might give them *some* hope. I'm 22 now, and I grew up watching premier league football, and didn't even know there was an Irish league till i saw it on Sensible soccer....

The only reason people here support English teams is because we see them week in week out on the box, if Irish teams were given the same airing, particularly now that there's no competition in the summer, support would grow therefore funds would increase etc etc, then perhaps we could challenge...

At the moment though, I can't see it happening. The general support is there. They just support foreign clubs.

I do however recall Bohs getting an excellent result at Leverkusen a few seasons back...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by kamobe
    If RTE would show a little f*cking interest and televise some of the matches

TV3 have thge rights now and it is the same **** as before. show a game every blue moon. it is disgraceful. the EL isn't all that bad. looking at the highlights show on TV3 will show everyone that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its possible by way of luck but BOhs and Pats won their Euro games 2 years ago andgot shels a higher place in the seeding and then they fecking lost to that Maltese crowd so back down the ladder EL went.

It is possible but doubt it will happen this season need all 3 teams to win their rounds and stop with the moral victory crap.

kdjac

Well we'll find out today who Bohs have in the first qualifying round - hopefully nobody will have heard of them ;)

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

At the moment the only way through would be for a very lucky draw in each qualifying round. Considering you have teams like Valencia, Schalke 04, Feyenoord et al going in in the third round, it's unlikely to say the least.

And that's the way UEFA want it - they don't want teams like Bohs or Shelbourne playing in the Champion's League because it means lower viewing figures and less revenue for them. The whole system is structured to keep the 'rich get richer' status quo going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

Originally posted by kamobe

I do however recall Bohs getting an excellent result at Leverkusen a few seasons back...

it was kaiserslauten, wasn't it?

they won away i think, but went out 3-2 overall.

this kind of result shows whats possible anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

id really love to see it but for every good result theres also a bit of a thrashing. id say it will be a good 5 years before they get there which is a good target for any top EL team really.

But with the transfer market around europe going to pot, the EL might actually manage to keep some of the more promising talent coming through in ireland rather than seeing them drift away to england and then not being given a chance. So you never know!!!! it could happen before
    I think the EL improving all the time tho

They beat the mighty Aberdeen to get that far.
    With EL clubs now playing the Euro games aint the 1st ghames of the season anymore whether that will help or not with Bohs playing crap now and Rovers and Derry all playing badly it may not be the best thing for them to be playing a better class team.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

First leg FC BATE Borisov (Belarus) versus Bohs.

uefa info on BATE
    http://www.uefa.com/footballcentral/Directory/Club=66168/

And 5,000 bohs fans simutaneously say "who the fúck are they"

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by KdjaC
    They beat the mighty Aberdeen to get that far.
    With EL clubs now playing the Euro games aint the 1st ghames of the season anymore whether that will help or not with Bohs playing crap now and Rovers and Derry all playing badly it may not be the best thing for them to be playing a better class team.

kdjac

yea defo, its like how Fulham started the premiership after they were playing Intertoto cup football, and other teams before. i thnik this could be our year. if Bohs got in it, and made a couple a million, what would they do with it??

I think if Bohs, or any other EL team, reached the CL proper and made a few million out if it they would be in a strong position domestically to buy whatever talent is available. This would help them achieve domestic success and hopefully reach the CL again and again.

Knowing Ireland they would probably pocket the cash ;)

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by Hyzepher

Knowing Ireland they would probably pocket the cash ;)

Hyzepher

a few offshore ansbacher bank accounts would be set up for sure.

re-deveolop that kip Dalymount

what a dump

More than likley fans would demand ground improvements but as with the St Pats - Celtic money.
    Where did the million go Mr Dolan??????
    Some poxy concrete in the vague shape of a terrace done by FAS trainees with a 4 ft drop at one stage is not a million pound stand.

Btw i think Dalyer is quite decent these days in comparision to other grounds its one of the best.

kdjac

I know that Bohs have tried really hard to improve the stadium for fans - recently putting in more seating and installing cctv for safety. They are in the process of trying to replace the floodlights. These things come at a price and finding the money isn't always easy - you can ask Rovers if you don't believe me ;)

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

dispite how badly they are doing in the league the Boez are probably player for player the best team in the league and the champions league could make the players get it togeter and turn the season around (hopefully not to much). With a bit of luck they could reach the trird round but to get by that would be very difficult. as said the current system is in place to stop small teams progressing we unfortunatly will never see a return to the good old days when the underdog could have a good run can you imagine steaua beachurest winning it now.
    Where did the million go Mr Dolan??????
    B*stard had a free hot dog clause in his contract nearly bankrupted the club

• Advertisement
Advertisement