Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloads freeze PC?

Options
  • 19-06-2003 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Help!

Due to driver problems I had to reformat my PC.
    Everything works fine, except for one problem....
    Sometimes, while downloading files from the internet, the PC locks up and has to be rebooted.
    It only happens while I'm downloading, I can browse websites, check my email, ICQ, etc, no problems.
    Doesn't matter what I use to download, Go!Zilla, Get Right, IE6, or how big the file is.
    Trying to download the latest version of Desert Combat is becoming a right pain. 20% before freezing up is the best so far.

Google came up with a "DoS Attack" as the possible cause, so I'll be trying a different firewall when I get home ( Using Tiny Personal Firewall at the mo. )

Running WinXPpro with EsatBT DSL Business package

Anyone know what could be causing the problem and how to fix it?

Patrick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Are you using Antivirus software? If it's scanning files as they are modified, it might be causing problems with the incremental updates to the .DAT files that download managers / KaZAA use.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Hummm - I'm using Norton Anti-Virus 2002 (v8?) with Monday's definitions. I think I was using an older version before the reformat.
    I'll disable it before I try a download and see what happens.

Advertisement