Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL now €20/month till mid 2004

Options
  • 19-06-2003 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Apparently if you sign up now you can get this price for the 600k package. Unfortunately I got it 2 months ago, but I think I'll contact them anyway and see if they will do anything for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Id rather they upped the price and expanded.

Best broadband in Ireland and the best part of 10 houses can get it, yay ;/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Website still sez its €40 and there is no Press Release anywhere about it.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

Originally posted by Muck
    Website still sez its €40 and there is no Press Release anywhere about it.

M

It's on flyers that they're sending out, I haven't seen one myself but I know 2 people who have ordered it at this price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

I just rang NTL to confirm it. It is €20 a monthfor 600K until August 2004. There is no change to the pricing of the 160K version which is no dearer than 600k (€30). Connection charge of €65 remains.

I'm one of the lucky ba$tard$ that can get it. Hopefully they do manage to roll it out to the rest of Dublin soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Seems a strange tactic for a company that has or had no money.

What they had was already competitively priced compared to whats on offer at the moment. Except maybe the up and coming ripwave from ibb at a proposed €30.

Would've been funny to see eircom and esat's reaction if this was available to all homes with cable. oh well dream on i suppose.
    Come on ntl get this more widespread.

Edit: Wonder what the significance of August 2004 is. I mean why not just say.."as of this date NTL has now reduced its broadband prices to €20 or whatever"
    They could easily then put them back up at a later date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

:eek: I don't believe it, wow, this is maybe one of the best BB services in Europe now. Pity so few can get it.

So, does anyone have a room to rent in an NTL BB enabled area ;)

Really I don't get why IBB are launching their new €30 ripwave service in a NTL area when there are so many other areas (Northside) with little or no BB. They will only face stiff competition in NTL areas. They would face little or no competition everywhere else. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I wonder if this price change will apply to existing customers...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

they've probably realised now that they can add people to their network for little or no extra overhead so can afford to reduce their prices and get a lot more people on board. I just hope that subsequent upgrades of other areas will be quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

I got on to them yesterday to see if existing customers would be charged at this new price. I was passed around a fair bit but was eventually told that it was an offer they are thinking about introducing but it has not been rolled out yet. I then told them that a friend is getting it this Saturday for that price, at which point I was put on hold again. Finally I was told that my area (Lucan) cannot get this offer, it's only areas where they have offered phone and cable for a few years ie. lucky bloody Tallaght again. I left it go at this stage (we'll fight again another day) as neither of us seemed to know anything concrete about it.

what is it about Tallaght that they get first option on nearly all forms of broadband. They have DSL, IBB, Leap, Wisp and NTL. Everytime a new service starts it seems to be Tallaght that get's it. Are they a special case or something? Still the northside is practically ignored when it comes to broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by LFCFan
    what is it about Tallaght that they get first option on nearly all forms of broadband. They have DSL, IBB, Leap, Wisp and NTL. Everytime a new service starts it seems to be Tallaght that get's it. Are they a special case or something? Still the northside is practically ignored when it comes to broadband.

Simple. They are in the foothills of the Dublin Mountains which is nice and easy for the wireless guys. Cablelink had broadband friendly plant installed in Tallaght before it was sold to NTL. And eircom tend to pull out all the stops when they think someone else is going to encroach on "their territory".

BK was wondering if anyone had a room to rent in NTLBB-land. If there are others like him, perhaps they could club together and buy a tenement in D24 - a modern day slum landlord set-up - internet cafe with a bed...

All you then need is TV cameras from MTV and a few Japanese and American TV stations to relay the story of Irish BB desperation to a wider world. There are lots of ISPs out there and you might find someone willing to provide BB at an economic price back where you used to live!?

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by vac
    Id rather they upped the price and expanded.

Ditto. I don't think anyone with NTL cable internet can say anything bad about NTL.

NTL, get over the Northside QUICK! PLEEEEEEEASE!

It is what it's.

a tenement in D24

I'm in D24(tho i'd like to think its not a tenement..where i am anyway)
    wish i had ntl bb but it's not in my area for some reason.
    Us Tallaght folks(not originally but anyway) are obviously special requiring the most competitive bb region in the country. :) Not getting into a class argument but wouldn't you as company want to launch your products in areas that are the traditionally considered wealthier ones, but i suppose the foothills of ublin mountains does help especially for the wireless option.
    I don't know if we has the biggest take up, be an interesting stat tho (if there is such a thing) given the amount of choice we have.

As for the room to rent..well you'd have to make do with esat's option. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc
    I'm in D24(tho i'd like to think its not a tenement..where i am anyway)
    wish i had ntl bb but it's not in my area for some reason.
    Us Tallaght folks(not originally but anyway) are obviously special requiring the most competitive bb region in the country. Not getting into a class argument but wouldn't you as company want to launch your products in areas that are the traditionally considered wealthier ones. I don't know if we has the biggest take up, be an interesting stat tho (if there is such a thing) given the amount of choice we have.

As for the room to rent..well you'd have to make do with esat's option.

Take your spectacles off and read the posting again please!

(I actually had difficulty myself using the word "tenement" in the context of D24 because virtually everything in that area is new or relatively new and purpose built).

I'm thinking of an Ireland 2003 style tenement where only a handful of houses have access to reasonably priced bandwidth (eg on NTL ) and hundreds of people who can't afford eircom type pricing have to rent a room in an overcrowded building in a bandwidth favoured area (ie D24). In the same way as people in previous centuries who couldn't afford their own house or apartment ended up in a tenement.

zz..

:) Scary how u know i was wearing spectacles?

Point taken tho. sorry. Tend to misread after a few bevvies!

Tho as for eircom taking out all the stops! That i'd like to see. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

NTL, get over the Northside QUICK! PLEEEEEEEASE!

i sent them a mail regarding non development of northside infastructure and recieved the following in a reply
    We do not have plans to extend this upgraded network at present however should this situation change we will be happy to notify you in advance.

so basicaly forget NTL or at least untill 2020, by then ireland may have 1mb connections while the rest of the world is @ 23GB.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know somewho was told the €20 per month rental price is a
    special offer only available to residents in the postal regions Dublin 24 and Dublin 16..

Was going to say I smell a RAT- but then again €40 still beats eircon until you take the CAP in to consideration - then it totally wipes eircom product...

It took me three attempts to download the latest CD from www.Knoppix.net - that'd be over half my cap with Eircon - Actually it is worse than that as there is usually more than one update a month and I've started looking at ClusterKnoppix too - luckily it's work related ....

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

Originally posted by 40coats
    .....Finally I was told that my area (Lucan) cannot get this offer, it's only areas where they have offered phone and cable for a few years .......

I just called NTL to see if my estate (in Lucan) has been connected yet. They keep telling me it's only a couple of weeks from 'two-way'. Anyway, I checked about the €20 offer and the guy told me straight off that it IS available throughout the two-way system....that's their new price. It isn't just Tallaght or Just Lucan.
    Maybe if I call again I'd get a different answer but that's what I've been told. Hope it's true! Great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by oneweb
    Ditto. I don't think anyone with NTL cable internet can say anything bad about NTL.

You have to be kidding, right? Have you ever tried talking to their customer support people. Or actually getting one of their crews to turn up for an appointment? Or maybe you've heard about their insistince on charging extra for their basic TV if you want any extra service?

Look here for a pretty detailed account of why people in ntl: enabled areas have a right to complain about ntl...

[EDIT] Changed so it makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    It took me three attempts to download the latest CD from www.Knoppix.net - that'd be over half my cap with Eircon - Actually it is worse than that as there is usually more than one update a month and I've started looking at ClusterKnoppix too - luckily it's work related ....
    My reply's off-topic for the thread but if you're grabbing whole CDs like this you ought to consider getting a download manager so you can resume the thing if you get cut off (I use Getright myself - it's not free ($25 once off) but it's good)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But the PC crashed :( - sod's law 98% down - BSOD

Anyway the point is that by comparison to NTL €ircon's 4GB is a tad mean if they also reserve the right to charge you.

- 4GB could easily be reached without warez and divx's - if they throttled the connection to 64K when you hit 4GB then you could live with that because it is FIXED COST internet access..

But since I'm in Lucan NTL are not offering €20 per month and have not arrived in my estate yet - so it's academic.

BTW: the Knoppix images are now available on WiFi :)

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

But since I'm in Lucan NTL are not offering €20 per month and have not arrived in my estate yet - so it's academic.

Are you sure about this? I'm told that it's €20 per month everywhere. I know you called them but so did I and that's what they told me. Either way I guess it's irrelevant until either my estate or your's is connected to the service....that's when we'll know for sure.
    On the other point...even if your PC crashes is you're using a download manager you should be able to pick up from where it crashed when you reboot. I use Getright.

This must look like I'm arguing with myself!.....
    I called NTL again and spoke to Ruth this time. She told me that the €20 a month offer IS just in Tallaght. It seems no matter what company is discussed on this forum not one of them is capable of giving you a straght answer. What's the point of having customer support phone lines if you don't give them information to pass on.
    While I'm on the subject, Ruth was able to tell me that a number of estates in Lucan had recently been shortlisted and should be upgraded in '...the next couple of weeks...' . Having said that, I was told that 2 weeks ago and today it's still 'the next couple of weeks'.
    Has the price been dropped in Tallaght beacause there was a poor take-up there and NTL are trying to get back some of the money they invested?
    Anyway, if any of you are in Lucan it might be worth your while calling and checking on the status of your estate. things may have changed since you called last.

ok, argument over. I have it on good authority that the €20 a month offer is ONLY in the original areas. ie. Tallaght, Knocklyon, Templeroen. It is NOT available in Lucan or any other areas that may be upgraded in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

ok, argument over. I have it on good authority that the €20 a month offer is ONLY in the original areas. ie. Tallaght, Knocklyon, Templeroen. It is NOT available in Lucan or any other areas that may be upgraded in the future.
    That is interesting. You would have thought that they would want to attract as many people as possible to the services in the new areas.

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    That is interesting. You would have thought that they would want to attract as many people as possible to the services in the new areas.

I guess they figure that the new areas will jump at the chance of €40 a month broadband while the older areas are bored with it and the €20 is incentive to sign up all those that were on the verge. TBH, €40 a month is still great value in this country, especially when it means you can do away with your phone line if all you used it for was the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I guess they figure that the new areas will jump at the chance of €40 a month broadband while the older areas are bored with it and the €20 is incentive to sign up all those that were on the verge. TBH, €40 a month is still great value in this country, especially when it means you can do away with your phone line if all you used it for was the internet.
    I would tend to agree. In the new areas, they will be kept busy with the early adopters anyway. After they have signed up, then possibly reduce the price to attract in the more cautious.

Is there no legal issues with charging some people €20 and some €40 for more or less the same service?

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc
    Is there no legal issues with charging some people €20 and some €40 for more or less the same service?

Maybe in every other country in the world but this is Ireland, land of the useless enforcer (ie. Comreg).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

NTL have atrocious customer support and if the cable breaks its hell trying to get through to the cable enginers.
    Also try and get them to come out to fix anything, and you'll be waiting a long time.

However 1 meg cable for 40 quid a month makes me forgive everything they do bad.

Advertisement