Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish census results

Options
  • 19-06-2003 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Further to the discussion we had here some time abo about the UK census results, the Irish Census results on religion are now out. Unfortunately, no statistics are being published on the breakdown of those who put "other religion", which I guess is where most of us fall into (it's what I wrote anyway).

Still, Other stated religions are up from 19.8% to 40%, I wonder how many of those are pagan in the widest sense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not sure, what counts as Pagan, but look at tables 33-34 (towards the end) here: http://www.cso.ie/census/pdfs/pdr_2002.pdf
    Originally posted by silja
    Still, Other stated religions are up from 19.8% to 40%, I wonder how many of those are pagan in the widest sense?
    Thats 19,800 to 40,000 people not %

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I have sent the following to the CSO. I think that their web site should give the details!
    As one of the practitioners of "other stated religions" I am a bit disappointed to see all 40,000 of us lumped together in the website, when Christian sects are given six different categories.

I think that Buddhists, Jews, and Neo-Pagans might consider such lumping inappropriate.

Is it not possible for you to provide more ACCURATE data?

The full table doesn't have Neo-Pagans listed, unless you're all "Pantheists".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by Yoda
    The full table doesn't have Neo-Pagans listed, unless you're all "Pantheists".
    Nope, we aren't, nor for that matter are all pantheists neo-pagans (Spinoza and the Transcendentalists being two well known examples of non-Pagan Pantheists).

Advertisement