Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom won't provide Self Install BB to houses with monitored alarms

Options
  • 19-06-2003 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am getting Eircom i-stream installed in my house, and I originally wanted to go for the self install package for 99 Euro. All was going well with the sales person until she asked if I had a monitored alarm, to which I answered yes. She then proceeded to tell me that Eircom will not support a self install package in a property with a monitored alarm. The only option you can go with is the full install for 199 Euro which involves an engineer going out to your house to open the alarm box. Has anyone else found this to be the case? What exactly is involved in tweaking the alarm phone point to accomodate ADSL? Is it as simple as putting a splitter inside the alarm box?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

most monitored alarms in Ireland are provided by Phonewatch which is part of Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

My monitored alarm is not Eircom phone watch. Rather than ringing a monitoring station, it rings 5 numbers that are programmed into it thereby saving on the yearly alarm monitoring fees. However the alarm technology is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Spud_Gun

Thats crap.

I have a Phonewatch alarm in the house.

When I rang to order the self-install kit the biddy asked if I had a monitored alarm, told her I did and she told me it should be ok, she said just ring Phonewatch to make sure.

You need to do a bit of re-wiring to the phoneline to make sure the alarm can ring out (needs to have priority over the phone line)

But apart from that it works. Its piss-easy to do.

Gis a shout if you need more info.

Cheers

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

I thought it was strange her telling me that I had to spend an additional 100 Euro to get an engineer out if I had a monitored alarm. I may well be asking for your advice just before I attack it with a screwdriver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭solaris

Does a filter not need to be added to the alarm (like it does to other phones) ? I have read reports of alarms causing problems, but I think the only issue that exists without a filter installed is that the adsl connection will be dropped when the alarm dialls out.

How can you assign priority with phone cabling ?

I might have this issue myself if my quicksilver order is accepted - my alarm also dialls preconfigured numbers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement