Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Components Vs. Sine Method

Options
  • 19-06-2003 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

I've just been going over the past papers, and I have had to finally conceed that it just isn't worth using the component method to do the relative velocity questions. While it works fine in some cases, in others you are looking at 2-3 pages of algebra and no end in sight.

Since I neglected to learn it properly before, would anyone mind going over the Sine Method for me? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Hmm.. dunno about any 'Sine Method'. If required I just draw a picture and work it out from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Hmm.. I think I know what you mean. Like sometimes you might be asked to find the shortest distance from one body to another and asked to find the velocity of one relative to another. You could do your little algebraic vectors and write an expression for the distance between the two in terms of time and differentiate. Or, you could as the majority of students I think would do... draw a picture and work it out with triangles. I dont really think theres any particular set procedure, depends on the question. Its just a visual affair and applying cosine rule, sine rule or simple trignometry if required.

Advertisement