Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is 256MB enough?

Options
  • 19-06-2003 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

my spec:

AMD2100+
    256ddr
    g-force 4 ti 4200 64MB

friends spec:

P4 2.4Ghz
    256ddr
    gforce 4 MX 64Mb

we both have simular machines, but battle field/ DC takes an age to load compared to other machines. and another age to stop jittering. is 256MB not enough or could it a driver problem with Nvidia cards?

any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Thats more then enough to run DC, what version pf the NVIDIA drivers are ye using, update them if they havent been updated and you shud be alright, but remember more memory = better performance

regards

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    Thats more then enough to run DC, what version pf the NVIDIA drivers are ye using, update them if they havent been updated and you shud be alright, but remember more memory = better performance
    sorry, I think 256MB is the absolute minimum amount of memory...

Loading take ages, frame rates drop because of neverending access to the harddisk and so on.

Do yourself and your friend a favour and upgrade to minimum of 512 MB....

I had the same problem last year and upgrading it first to 512 and then to 768MB has given an incredible performance boost...

The GeForce 4200 will be good for at least 60 - 100 fps without anti-aliasing in 1024x768 resolution.

Maybe the MX will have to reduce some details.

But shinzon was right: have a look for the latest nvidia drivers (anything above 41.xx will do).

The performance in battlefield in very much dependent on the amount of memory.....

jow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I was running bf1942 on 256 nps, no lagginess no page load probs

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

cheers lads, guess a bit of ram and a detonator d/l are in order :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I play with 2.4 p4 512 ddr and a gf 2 ti and host 32 bots only lag i get is when i am flying the choppers up quite high when it has to render loads of textures otherwise i am fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I play with 256 DDR and i can find it a bit too little at times. I plan to buy a stick of 512 DDR as soon as i can get the money. If you double your ram your loading times should drop by at least 33% i've been told.

Also, for the most updated drivers, see my site: [ GameEditing.tk ]. The site one has a preview of the downloads but all the drivers you need to keep your system and Battlefield running smoothly are in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

P3 800 Cu @ stock
    640Meg PC100 SDRam
    GF2 Pro 64meg DDR AGP 2x (mobo doesn't support 4x) @ stock
    BX northbridge (I forget the model of my mobo, AOpen AX6BC or something)

At 800x600 with medium details I get a fine playable FPS (haven't played in a while, and have to peruse the console cmds yet but...), feels like ~60fps.

Used to playing at 85+

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

geforce 4 mx = geforce 2 + a little updating.
    even a geforce 3 is better than a geforce 4 mx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

true, GF4 MX is a GF2 with ddr memory, still a reasonably good card though if you aren't willing to pay an arm and a leg for a graphics card, You really have to be a game-nut to pay for the latest and greatest video cards.

Advertisement