Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comp keeps crashing

• 19-06-2003 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭

My computer keeps crashing everytime a big data transfer is being done. It does not happen when the transfer is between two of the harddrives, but it does happen when the transfer is between either a harddrive and (major upload from) a cd, or betwewen the comp and another comp on the network.
    Would anyone have any idea why this would happen.
    The crash entails my computer completly stalling, with the screen working and displaying what was up before the crash.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Post your complete machine spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ugh that was me bro, ye'd think with a comp sci degree he might know to put that sorta thing up.

Its an :
    Epox 8KHA+ mobo
    Amd XP 1800+
    512ddr corsair ram
    Geforce 3 (some form of cheap oem...does the job..)
    20gb Maxtor Ide
    200gb Western Digital Ide
    Adaptec 29160 SCSI host controler
    TAEC SCSI 24x/8x cd writer
    Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1202 IDE
    Winbond PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter(more generic crap10/100mbit
    Onboard Via Sound and all the other usual ****.

Also the transfer's proceed for varying ammounts of time up to about 1/2gb and then just locks up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

update the bios and the via 4in1 drivers as a first step ( http://www.viaarena.com for the via drivers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Does the crash happen when you are copying to/from the SCSI CD?, or is the crash happening from the other one, or both? ... does it happen when you copy from HD to HD? ...

Sounds to me like an IDE controller issue ... or maybe a HD issue

BTW ... do you only have a single SCSI cd burner hanging off that 29160? ... you must have money to burn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Remove 1 hard drive and try again if you have an OS on the other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

update the bios and the via 4in1 drivers as a first step ( http://www.viaarena.com for the via drivers)
    Was just doing that on the box as i was reading your post, thanks for the suggestion though. :)
    Originally posted by BigEejit
    Does the crash happen when you are copying to/from the SCSI CD?, or is the crash happening from the other one, or both? ... does it happen when you copy from HD to HD? ...

Sounds to me like an IDE controller issue ... or maybe a HD issue

BTW ... do you only have a single SCSI cd burner hanging off that 29160? ... you must have money to burn!

Flashed bios, upgraded drivers and replaced floppy drive(it was just acting up.....had a spare) and ran a few ram diagnostics and other things...not sure quite what fixed it but seems to be working now. Thanks for all the suggestions and such.

and i have an scsi ibm 36gb drive also but it's after die'n with a fail to start error. Have to return it to ibm i guess, i've returned it 3 times already, getting quite sick of losing the files that arn't backed up.

Advertisement