Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project: P4 3Ghz, P4C800, VapoChill sytem to ~4Ghz

• 19-06-2003 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

OK I'm looking to build an Xtreme Machiene. I have very little overclocking experience. So i guess this is a dive into the deep-end.

What I've got:

Intel P4 @ 3.06Ghz 800Mhz FSB
    Asus P4C800 Delux Motherboard
    2 * 512Mb Corsair 3200 Dimms 400Mhz CAS2
    Enermax 431W Wisper Series PSU
    Asus Ti4600 AGP Gfx Card with a Zalman heatsink installed
    40Gb 7200 2mb ATA133 Seagate Silent HD
    200Gb 7200 8mb ATA100 Western Digital HD
    Vapochill Profesional Edition Case & Cooling system
    Shin-Etsu Shin-Etsu Thermal Paste

What I'm looking to do is to get as much preformance out of the above. Maybe to 4Ghz, over it if possible.

I will be changing the Graphics card over the summer for a new nVidia FX card and will be looking to silently cool and tweak that too, but that is another issue.

I'll be posting my evolving voltages, timings, mods, FSB speeds, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Followed the manual and the really helpfull guide on toms hardware found here : http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20030224/asetek_vapochill-07.html

Vapochill pics from their site:

224stor.jpg
    fully installed & modded case

VC_case.jpg
    barebones of case

Harddiskfan.gif
    optional fan at hard drives

VC_sideoff.jpg
    Side off

VC_blueled.jpg
    power, reset switches and power, activity leds

VC_coolingunit.jpg
    The cooling unit

Some pics from the installation and before any overclock begins

vapochill1.jpg

vapochill2.jpg

vapochill3.jpg

vapochill4.jpg

system_cpu.jpg

system_gpu.jpg

vapochillcase.jpg

CPU is at -7degrees according to motherboard software and -20degrees according to the vapochill system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

How much did all that cost you?

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wow what a beast good job man!

where did u get them DVD and the CDRW drives they look well cool links please if ya can? or at least the brand names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

Stan

Do You wear sunglasses?

:@)

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    where did u get them DVD and the CDRW drives they look well cool links please if ya can? or at least the brand names

Their samsung drives.

Top 1 is a 16x Dvd Drive
    Bottom 1 is a 40x Cd-rw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

What are you speeds now? You will be lucky even to reach 4 ghz. I would expect at least 3.6 and max out at 3.8. But if I spent as much money as you I would want 4 ghz as well :D

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

We can benchmark it against my Prometeia (www.chip-con.com)!

I have a P4C 3.0 and a P4 3.06 to play with, aim is 4GHz too.

Oh, btw, you posted you have a "Intel P4 @ 3.06Ghz 800Mhz FSB".

The P4 3.06 is a 533mhz CPU and the P4 3.0 is the 800MHz one.. which do you have. Regardless, thanks to the high multipliers both have you shouldnt need to do any extra cooling to the motherboard, as the FSB will be lower than someone using a slower CPU on the mobo.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Tbh I don't think you'll get 4Ghz using a Vapochill (Prometeia, maybe), but GL anyways and enjoy the ride. Keep us updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

Yes, I think you've got 3.0Ghz, not 3.06Ghz.

3.06Ghz is for 533-fsb ones, and 3.0Ghz is the top of the 800-fsb ones to the day. That's what I've got just the other week, but I'm not going to overclock anything at least for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

How much was the case? and bits and bobs (not including CPU, mobo ram etc...)

I was wondering is there any system out there that would cool a CPU to 5 - 10deg C without load and under 20 with load? (hence avoiding all the condensation worries) ... would a water cooling system do this, are or they all based on ambient tempereatures(i.e. is there any sort of below ambient cooling for water based systems?)

If you used a powerful Peltier coupled with a good watercooling setup it would get close to those temps under load, but still way lower when idle. Unless the device can intelligently vary the cooling ability based on load what you are suggesting is impossible.

The Prometeia shields the CPU area in a "shell", air tight, thereby completely preventing condensation. They also supply a heating element for the back of the CPU. The Vapochill has a similar although slightly more basic setup.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ctgilles

I win? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    If you used a powerful Peltier coupled with a good watercooling setup it would get close to those temps under load, but still way lower when idle. Unless the device can intelligently vary the cooling ability based on load what you are suggesting is impossible.

The Prometeia shields the CPU area in a "shell", air tight, thereby completely preventing condensation. They also supply a heating element for the back of the CPU. The Vapochill has a similar although slightly more basic setup.
    Thats what I was thinking alright, pity someone didnt make a chilled water cooling system (temperature feedback should not be too difficult to do).... I'd imagine that would be a fairly large case .... heh, pc about a washing machine in size ...

When looking at costs / performance / practicality, the Prometeia is unbeatable... To get similar results, you'd need a pelt of at least 226W and chilled water that's like -10°... I tried it sometimes, it is not possible...

Btw, got higher ;)

CTGiles,

Want to fill us in on the details? How many CPUs did you try beforce getting such a nice one? Is it in anyway stable at that speed?

What about mobo, ram etc?

Matt

PS: You didnt happen to find this forum thru XtremeSystems.org did you?

CTGiles,

PS: You didnt happen to find this forum thru XtremeSystems.org did you?

He probably did, i've a link to this forum on there.

Also CTGiles, your signiture image is a bit big, please read the forum rules.

My processor speed is 3006Mhz and has a 800Mhz FSB.

I know a guy o/c'ing to 4Ghz with watercooling. A vapochill should blow that out of the water. I'm organising a nortbridge fan and a fan bracket for the zalman GPU heatsink.

One thing though, i can't seem to be able to up the FSB over 200 in the bios??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I'm still hesitant to believe ctgilles. Did you pull that from overclockers.com? hehheh I need more proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Hey lads I did some overclocking too!

4188.jpg

• Advertisement

How 'bout this :D
    SuperPI
    PIfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mate sorry but theres no way anyone has got a p4 to 4 gigs using just watercooling, at the moment its not possible

he's obviously using a 226w pelt with it which makes it more powerful than the vapo pe which iirc is 200w.

4 gigs might be out of ur reach, u should get close to it tho :)

CTGiles,
    Want to fill us in on the details? How many CPUs did you try beforce getting such a nice one? Is it in anyway stable at that speed?
    What about mobo, ram etc?
    Matt
    First CPU, and having bad evap contact :(
    My system is: IC7-G, P4 3.0C & 2.8C, R9800 PRO, 2x Maxtor Diamondmax 9 SATA 120GB RAID0, Prometeia.
    Hauling 4Gig out with a Vapo is going to be rather hard for you, since the Vapochill is favorable in overall quality it get's its ass kicked by the Prometeia. Brute force is nice to have sometimes :D

Current CPU speed: 3750Mhz
    CPU temp 0% load: -14oC
    CPU temp 100% load: -1oC
    FSB: 250Mhz
    Memory: 200Mhz ( 5:4 divider )

System runs @ 3.8Ghz but crashes after 20mins of 100% load. I suspect its the northbridge cooling or the ram.

Gonna get a case fan sorted and see how it goes.

3.9Ghz posted, but windows gave a memory address error while booting. Which suggests a memory prob stopping any futher overclock.

4.1Ghz would not post. YET :)

Originally posted by STaN
    Current CPU speed: 3750Mhz
    CPU temp 100% load: -1oC
    FSB: 250Mhz
    Memory: 200Mhz ( 5:4 divider )

System runs @ 3.8Ghz but crashes after 20mins of 100% load. I suspect its the northbridge cooling or the ram.

I suspect its the CPU :p. Try disabling the onboard L2 cache and see if its more reliable. Where are you getting those temps... they seem a bit too good for a Vapochill?
    Originally posted by STaN

3.9Ghz posted, but windows gave a memory address error while booting. Which suggests a memory prob stopping any futher overclock.

4.1Ghz would not post. YET :)

Well, just lower the memory divider.. you shouldnt run the memory flat out when trying to find the CPU limits anyway. Overclockers.com claim the system is faster with the FSB high and the memory forced lower anyhow.

Matt

Overclockers.com claim the system is faster with the FSB high and the memory forced lower anyhow

bigtoe on asusboards tried it out and said they were wrong tho :p i think what they meant was if it means u can push the cpu higher use the 3:2 div but if ur at the same speed the 4:5 is faster

Yes, that would be sensible, but thats not what they are saying here:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles756/index02.asp

This time, FSB at 295MHz, memory at 196MHz. Same memory settings. Please note, the memory is actually running a little slower than the first two times.

Hmmmm. We slow down the memory and it goes faster.

Just to summarize the basic numbers:

FSB/Memory: Score
    200/200: 4603/4593
    220/220: 4954/4977
    250/200: 5402/5416
    275/220: 5881/5761
    295/196: 5814/5807

Another Measurement

What does PCMark 2002 report for memory scores?

Here's just the raw scores:

200/200: 8118
    220/220: 8667
    250/200: 9206
    275/220: 9824
    295/196: 10479

They increased the FSB and lowered the memory and still pulled in higher memory speeds. Of course, this is assuming that Sandra\PCMark are reliable.

Matt

funny? ill try get big toes thread, i got my ic7 at the weekend and ive found i can get just about 3000/3000 (unbuffered) at default (12*200) but i cant break 3000 even at 12*220??

its very wierd, also some of the mem options cant be used when using a negative mem div

I suspect its the CPU . Try disabling the onboard L2 cache and see if its more reliable. Where are you getting those temps... they seem a bit too good for a Vapochill?

Well i have the vapochill setup to try to keep my CPU @ -29 (which it can't do) with the compressor at full speed and the fan @ 30%

I might try put that to 100% and see how that changes the temps.

Where i get the info from:

........ Vapochill Reading .... Motherboard Reading
    Idle: ............ -22oC ..................... -14oC
    Load: ........... -14oC ...................... -1oC

======

Might try the 3:2 @ 275Mhz FSB later. Might have to fiddle around with the voltages though to see if i can get it to post.

I can't see the CPU temp's being a prob though, only the motherboard.

• Advertisement

Current CPU speed: 3906Mhz
    CPU temp 100% load: TBC
    FSB: 260Mhz
    Memory: 173.33Mhz ( 3:2 divider )

If it posts @ 3.9 with a 3:2 divider and not a 5:4 does this suggest the RAM can't handel it and i should try PC3700 ram opposed to PC3200 ram to try a higher memory clock at higher FSB's?

Advertisement