Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project: P4 3Ghz, P4C800, VapoChill sytem to ~4Ghz

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

must be pretty bad pc3200 ram that wont do 208 fsb ive two sticks of twinmoss here that do 230, try lowering the ram timings or upping the voltage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

oh and ur nb temps wont be a prob til at least 280 fsb mate, the nb runs pretty cool anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

My twinmos pc2700 runs at 212 no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    We can benchmark it against my Prometeia (www.chip-con.com)!

I have a P4C 3.0 and a P4 3.06 to play with, aim is 4GHz too.

Matt

How you getting on Matt.

Im running @ 3.6Ghz stable at the moment. 3.9Ghz is fine but a bit dodgy sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

4Gz. yahn! :P i have had a (theorectical) 4.8Gz system, for a while now. i have 2 Athlon 2400+ CPus on my board, totaling a power of 4.8Gz, but the P Rating (from SiSoft Sandra) is a staggering 5.5Gz i think! pretty sweet. pitty half the apps out their arnt multi tasking. that superpi thing works in about 65 seconds for 1m places. sweet system though. question to stan. im gathering its stable, but is it stable 24/7? like i havent turned my machine off in about 3 weeks and probably wont for a while, but could yours do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by lotas
    4Gz. yahn! :P i have had a (theorectical) 4.8Gz system, for a while now. i have 2 Athlon 2400+ CPus on my board, totaling a power of 4.8Gz, but the P Rating (from SiSoft Sandra) is a staggering 5.5Gz i think! pretty sweet. pitty half the apps out their arnt multi tasking. that superpi thing works in about 65 seconds for 1m places. sweet system though. question to stan. im gathering its stable, but is it stable 24/7? like i havent turned my machine off in about 3 weeks and probably wont for a while, but could yours do that?

Well, by your logic I had a 6000+ System. 2x Athlon XPs running at 2400mhz each, rating of 3000 a piece (at least).
    If only... even multithreaded apps dont benefit from a 100% increase in speed from SMP.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by lotas
    4Gz. yahn! :P i have had a (theorectical) 4.8Gz system, for a while now. i have 2 Athlon 2400+ CPus on my board, totaling a power of 4.8Gz, but the P Rating (from SiSoft Sandra) is a staggering 5.5Gz i think!

Err, I'm sure I needn't point out to you it doesn't work that way. You don't just add up the rating of the two CPUs together!

Originally posted by STaN
    How you getting on Matt.

Im running @ 3.6Ghz stable at the moment. 3.9Ghz is fine but a bit dodgy sometimes.

Im confused, how can it be "fine" and unstable at the same time!?

I run at 3.8GHz, which isnt "Prime95" stable, but is good enough for games (ie doesnt crash after playing a game for 10hrs+) and every other app I tried.

I can get to 3.9 but get bluescreens. I believe this is due to my CPU\Motherboard. I cant increase the voltage over 1.7v. Doing do makes the PC shutdown immediately. Users of the same board (Abit IC7) claim they dont have this problem... but I tried with two seperate CPUs!

The 2.8 800MHz FSB CPU is what I use mainly (its the one at 3.8GHz). I also tried the older 3.06 533 FSB CPU, it achieved 4GHz into Windows (still maxed at 1.7v) but wasnt as reliable or fast (thanks to lower FSB) as the 2.8GHz CPU at 3.8GHz.

I might try push for 3.9GHz Stable this evening.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Im confused, how can it be "fine" and unstable at the same time!?

Its fine in most cases,

Im currently at a voltage of 1.65V for the 3.6Ghz mark.

I can boot @ 3.9Ghz but in benchmarks it freezes up. The system posts at 4.0Ghz but i get a memory blue screen just before windows loads. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ctgilles

I noticed some i875P boards won't function good around the 280MHz mark, I noticed this with 2 of my IC7-G with mods on it :(
    Eventually got a P4C800, but due to it over and undervolting it wasn't really first choice ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ctgilles
    I noticed some i875P boards won't function good around the 280MHz mark, I noticed this with 2 of my IC7-G with mods on it :(
    Eventually got a P4C800, but due to it over and undervolting it wasn't really first choice ;)

So, is the P4C800 a better board for attaining high clock speed? How can it both under and over volt?

What speed is your 2.8 at?

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ctgilles

I sold my P4 rig a while ago :)

The P4C800 overvolts in idle, making 1.5V -> 1.57V, while loading, it goes all the way to 1.45V giving a nice undervolt :)

Advertisement