Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast food companies join forces against fat sue-y cases

• 19-06-2003 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

Watchin telly earlier there was a feature on CNBC about fast food companies joining forces to combat the threat of stupid greedy fat people who want to sue them because they're, em, fat. I didn't get the whole story but it seems there will be some sort of law-by-case where it is the person's (or parent's) responsibility to cop onto the fact that eating fast food is likely to cause fatness.

There was a mother on that Dr Phil (annoying true) saying that her daughter was fat because she ate a McDonald's meal every day. Fair play to Dr. Phil 'cos he ended up just saying to her what a load of CRAP! He asked her if she knew fast food was healthy, if she was being forced to buy it etc etc, and the woman just dug and dug.

It's about time that some sort of common sense law was introduced. What do others think?

It is what it's.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

haha finally Americans have the cop on to rebel against these stupid fat people

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Obesity is becoming just as big a problem in Ireland and Europe as it is in the United States. It isn't all the fault of fast food companies, people make personal choices and I agree they have to know its not good for them.
    But there is another side to the story, I highly recommend a book called Fast Food Nation, it shows some good insight into how fast food companies advertise to very young impressionable children in an effort to make them lifetime customers. It also has statistics which show that fast food in the United States has plateaued, but is increasing in Europe and Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i heard on FOX News tonight that Congress wants to bring in a law that will put a stop to these court cases. fast food every day will make you obese, why don't people realise this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Fast food makes you obeese :eek: :eek: :eek: im sticking to my chocolate fudge diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Wellll the way i see it is...iknow in america they have now got a "Super" Size Option in fast food places, these meals are huge.

BUT no one is forcing you to eat it!

What do fast food places ashove food down your throat?

Sill law suit idea!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

I highly recommend a book called Fast Food Nation

Brilliant,scarey book.Should be mandatory is schools.

I never ate any of that crap since (2 years )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

You can't put all the blame on fat people its a addiction,no one forces an alcholic to drink or a drug addict to take drugs the same can be said of obese people to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Yes you can. It's been proven that food is not addictive.

Everything is addictive to a person in the right or wrong mental State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

so you can't blame anybody for anything they do then ?

• Advertisement

Hardly,but to dismiss someone who is obese by saying "stop sticking ****ing buggers in your mouth and you will be fine" is hardly to way to help them,which is what they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Fast food should come with a healty warning on the side. If you eat this it will turn you into a fatty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

boards.ie should come with a sanity warning.

"If you troll here, you will become a wierdo".

I think I might just take this to Gerry Springer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by Sposs

You cannot be addicted to food. Fact.

You could use it as a crutch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

Originally posted by Sposs

untrue. there are two kinds of addictions. physical ones: stuff like heroin makes physical changes to ur nervous system, so u physically crave it. a mental addiction to something like food is just a bad habit.

part of teh fatness problem is laziness. people are too lazy to prepare their own food, it is just soo much easier to pop around to mcdonalds or the chipper.

remember tho, some people are more susceptible to putting on weight. i can eat and eat and eat loads of utter crap, and i wouldnt put on anything, in fact i am still underweight.

tbh get some more exercise, the more fast food u eat, try to get some more exercise.

saw teh fattest woman in the world a couplea years back. took up an entire triple seater couch. hadnt moved in years. didnt need to wear clothes because the flab somehow covered everything. they just threw a couplea bedsheets over her every once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Dumb Americans will try anything to get rich quick and pass the blame off on someone else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Apart from Fast Food Nation, another good book would be "Fat Land" by Greg Critser. It goes into the way supersized meals came about, and how new types of oils and sugers are used in the preparation of fast food, which makes it harder for the body to shed fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

so many books to read, so little time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 I'm Spartacus

The bigger the burger the better, prefer the homemade ones though. I don't worry about the reasons just the seasons.

As my dad used to say:
    Il et perbo alosbestos!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭weemcd

the american courts are a ****ing joke, you wouldn't find that anywhere else in the world, the whole country is a joke, and then they fry to pass off the blame on the company's who make tasty food. **** hole of a country, id love to go, but then again its full of americans

• Advertisement
Advertisement