Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh God, I just got my Eircom bill...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

no one cares

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

nasty!!

i'd be heading to nearest non extradition country(guatemala maybe) to avoid that.

I think it looks like they charged you for dsl rental for nearly a month and a half and charged you over 200 euro for a modem thats only supposed to cost €154 according to their total cost for self install which is €244(€154 + €99) was supposed to be their total cost including modem.

by my calc your bill should have been 244 + 54.50 = 298 odd quid.

Not 365 odd.

still damn expensive either way..u could've gone for esat (free modem) would've been better.
    Even their option to own the modem is only 50 or 60 quid dearer.
    Total self install cost owning modem and first months rental..about 200 roughly.

not sure how eircom can charge 100 more for their modem.

Edit: bad maths there but i think those figures are a bit closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭narnar2000

no one cares

Don't you :( ?

Twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭gaizka71

Hi lads, just move home to bilbao in the basque country for a while after living in ireland for a bit... and got adsl in less than two weeks, I actually order it on line before I moved back, so when I got home there it was waiting for me.
    Price, 35€ for the usb modem that I will keep forever (it is on the contract, I am not messing...) and 40€ monthly, with no year contract, just a months notice will do to terminate the contract, no fees, no penalties....

and the guys that provide this are BT... www.arrakis.es I think it is excelent value (256k/128k)

so why can not they do it in Ireland.... I do not know...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Originally posted by Bubba
    no one cares

If you dont have something constructive to say, dont bother ****ing saying it at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

I asked Eircom if they could send me a separate broadband and phone bill. No chance! One of the reasons I am going with IOL is to get a separate bill.

Just rang them there:

The 90.00 charge is for two months in advance - don't remember seeing that anywhere...

The 73.50 charge is for the DSL charge from 24 Apr 03 - 12 Jun 03 (I was overcharged on this - should have been from 2 May 03 - took me about 10 minutes to convince him)

The 201.81 charge is for the connection fee + USB modem

...All ex-VAT.

So, I wasn't too badly shafted after all - but I didn't know they charged in advance for the DSL line. I think maybe I was blinded by the EUR666 charge on the first page...

Plus, they should break down the charges more clearly on the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by narnar2000
    Plus, they should break down the charges more clearly on the bill.
    That's asking a lot of eircom.

On a related note their modems are way overpriced when you can get a far superior external ethernet modem for less than 110 from some retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the USB modems are generally crap anyway.

Always go for the Ethernet modem if you have the choice.

Incidentally the 'free' modems from esat are the cheap usb sort and I've heard there have been lots of problems with them not working the way they should. Anyone have any ffedback on the USB modems because I'm just going by hwat I've heard, and wouldn't mind a bit more info.

thnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

You are better off buying your modem or router from the UK in my opinion. Last week I got an Alcatel/Thomson Speedtouch 510 V4 modem/router for about 160 Euro (inc VAT). You also get a much better selection in UK web sites.

• Advertisement

Why are USB modems meant to be so crap?

Apart from causing a blue screen and being unable to reboot afterwards, I've had no problems with my USB one ;)

But I reinstalled the modem with drivers from the Zyxel website and it's worked perfectly since. Those eircom drivers are lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by narnar2000
    Why are USB modems meant to be so crap?

Apart from causing a blue screen and being unable to reboot afterwards, I've had no problems with my USB one ;)

Aye , I'm using a nice lil' Fujitsu FDX310 USB jobby that I picked up in England and it's rock solid.I believe UTV are going to be using this model.

carb.

P.S. Still waiting on Solwise to sort out a fix with Netsource so I can use their SAR110 router , it's a joke now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

In general, eircom bills in advance. The only exception is for items that arise during the month, i.e., telephone calls.

a.

Advertisement