Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gross food!

• 19-06-2003 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭

What's the weirdest or most vile thing you've ever eaten? Have you ever wondered what "that thing" on the menu is and just gone for it, only it turned out to be something that looked and tasted like it had already been eaten?
    I don't think I've ever eaten anything really manky. I refuse ever to eat any of these:
    Snails
    Frogs legs
    Oysters
    Mussels
    (or any sort of slimy shellfish)
    Octopus
    Squid (even the sound of the word "squid" puts me off!

I know there are more things but they're the ones that spring to mind.
    I was in a crocodile farm in Zimbabwe in '99 and there was a small restaurant where you could get crocodile meat but none of us went in and just got ice-pops instead...

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I am quite partial to tripe myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Marmite. It's AWFUL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

i ****ing hate cauliflower
    hate it.
    cauliflower.jpg

uuuuugggghhhhh.
    HATE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭therannu

Squid is LOVELY! And dead cheap in places like Torremolinos etc. It's like rubbery onion rings that taste of seafood. We caught one once on this boat that I was living on, and got the cook to prepare it. Even the bucket of ink that the thing spewed didn't put me off. Yum.

Beans are horrible. I mean the baked beans in tomato sauce. I had just about got used to them when my friend started making toasted sandwiches (proper ones, in a toasted sandwich maker) with beans and cheese in them. How revolting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah hate cauliflower. It stinks too.
    Also all sea food. blergh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

had squid once from the local chineese. I thought it was a bit too rubbery, it had the texture of rubber combined fat off the top of a ham. Wasn't that bad, like I ate it, but wouldn't get it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Squid or Octapus when well prepared is fabulous.

Sprouts are the devils own poo sized feaces!!!! :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Actually frog's legs are quite nice- like really small (and slightly greasy) chickenlegs. Yum.
    Mussels are lovely, they're just like normal fish, but boneless and prepackaged in bite sized morsels!
    And I quite like squid, all fishy and yet chewy.

You're right about oysters though, I tried them for the hell of it, and they were disgusting. The fac t that you have to eat them alive and pour lemon juice on them didn't help (I like meat, but unnecessary cruelty is just bad.).

I bloody despise cucumber, or anything that came into contact with it. It just smells repulsive, and leaves a disgusting taste on everything it touches. Pukeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Hmm... There's not a lot of natural food I won't eat. There are quite a lot of processed things I won't touch with a bargepole - particularly heavily processed meats - but when it comes down to fresh, natural stuff, I can't really think of anything I dislike enough to say I absolutely won't eat it.

I love squid and octopus, although I rarely eat squid around here because it's so hard to get it cooked properly (and octopus is incredibly rare as a food in this part of the world anyway).

Shellfish is a take it or leave it thing with me... Oysters are fun, and quite tasty, but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek them really. I'd go for a plate of them if I was somewhere that served particularly good ones though.

I guess it's down to what you know about the food you eat. There's no fresh fruit or vegetable I won't eat, and no particular type of fish or flesh I won't eat... But I bet plenty of those going "yuck" about cauliflower, or brussels sprouts, or squid, would happily tuck into a plate of sausages or a pork pie or a "reformed meat patty" without thinking twice about it, whereas I'd have a serious aversion to eating most of that kind of thing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sandi:
    I refuse ever to eat any of these:
    Snails
    Frogs legs
    Oysters
    Mussels
    Octopus
    Squid

I have eaten all of the above, and can testify to their tastiness..
    Mmmm... Tasty grossness...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

One man's meat is another man's Boyzone. Hmm, I tried to make that funny but I don't think it quite hit the spot.

I don't think there is anything I wouldn't try. After eating pigeon I started taking everything in my stride. (if you do a search on food and drink you will find some very strange boards users' previous food encounters by the way)

You must realise that the reason you find these foods yuk and icky is because of social conditioning. If you were living in Greece you would probably not say that about Octopus (yum) and Squid (YUM! - only when fresh). And if you were in Thailand you would have no problems about eating dog. And indeed if you were in some parts of the world - human flesh.

Gross is not what the tongue tastes in most cases - but what the mind remembers.

Sandi, you list some things that you hint at are gross - but you have not tried them so you cannot honestly say that they are gross - it is just the idea of them that is gross. The real question is why do you think that they are gross?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Originally posted by Gordon
    Sandi, you list some things that you hint at are gross - but you have not tried them so you cannot honestly say that they are gross - it is just the idea of them that is gross. The real question is why do you think that they are gross?

Just looking at slimy gooey stuff makes me feel sick. I can't stand mayonnaise even! In Musgrave's they have huge buckets of the stuff and the thought of that disgusting white crap makes me feel ill. Maybe that's weird, I dunno. I have actually had mayonnaise and it's horrible. Ruins the tastiest of sambos IMO!

I also hear people talk about what it was like and I can imagine the rubbery texture and slimyness and...*shudder* GROSS!

You don't like strawberry jelly then?

I like jelly. The substance is different and it tastes nice! It's not all gooey and slimy. It's more...em...wobbly!
    Give me jelly any day! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Raisins - bleuccch!

Oysters and mussels rule the world.

Squid cooked well is gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Originally posted by Sandi
    What's the weirdest or most vile thing you've ever eaten? Have you ever wondered what "that thing" on the menu is and just gone for it, only it turned out to be something that looked and tasted like it had already been eaten?
    I don't think I've ever eaten anything really manky. I refuse ever to eat any of these:
    Snails
    Frogs legs
    Oysters
    Mussels
    (or any sort of slimy shellfish)
    Octopus
    Squid (even the sound of the word "squid" puts me off!

remind me , to never take you out for dinner...
    I have this idea that I try to eat it once and especially when it's been eaten by a large populace for centuries.

small edit for Gordon :'Free your mind and your ?arse will follow' ?

Ah, give me a chance! I'm fun!

Heh, free your mind and the best will wallow. I dunno.

Sandi - you do realise that jelly is made from Gelatine dont you? Gelatine is made from boiling cattle/horse bones. The marrow of the animal's bones is the thing that keeps the jelly all wibbly and wobbly. Is that gross now?
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Also, the red of the cherries in cherry bakewells is enhanced by an extract of chitin, or insect exoskeleton. Yum.

Gordon, that's a different type of gross. I don't eat jelly on a regular basis. Haven't eaten it for years.
    What are you trying to do to me! I like jelly...don't burst my bubble!

• Advertisement

but were not trying to burst your bubble , only to make it larger :D

a born romantic eh?! Lol! So smooth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Shinji
    But I bet plenty of those going "yuck" about cauliflower, or brussels sprouts, or squid, would happily tuck into a plate of sausages or a pork pie or a "reformed meat patty" without thinking twice about it, whereas I'd have a serious aversion to eating most of that kind of thing....

I'd eat sausages after taking all the gristle (sp?) out of them, wouldnt touch a pork pie or those meat patties though.
    Only pie I eat is home made shepards pie. I'm a pretty picky eater when it comes down to it. I'll give most things a go but I wont eat
    Sea food
    Cauliflower
    Cucumber
    Tomatoes (even though I like ketchup, I just dont like tomatoes)
    and bananas. Hate them.

http://bertc.com/recipes.htm

check out this page for ..ahum 'weird' food

(work safe)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭weemcd

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I'd eat sausages after taking all the gristle (sp?) out of them, wouldnt touch a pork pie or those meat patties though.
    I'm a pretty picky eater when it comes down to it. I'll give most things a go but I wont ea
    Sea food

Tomatoes (even though I like ketchup, I just dont like tomatoes)
    and bananas. Hate them.
    i agree with all the selected stuff above, i hate salad, mayonase, and spring rolls, i don't like soup. being picky is hard though especially when you eat nothing insted of something you dont like. i used to hate bananas but recently i like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BigglesWorth

Pathe , My sister used to put it on her toast and it would contaminate the knife guhhhhhh disgusting liver related foods are horrible and so are kidneys

Ah yes, kidneys. Actually that is one thing that I won't eat anymore. I realised when eating my 487th steak and kidney pie in my life - a surprising enlightenment.

I was noticing a similar smell when I ate kidney pie, for years and years I had had this thought "gosh, I know that smell, I just can't place it - it's on the tip of my tongue etc etc". Then I walked past a smelly old tramp that must have just pissed himself for the nth time. I then realised that kidneys smell of stale urine. I then put 2 and 2 together and concluded that kidneys contain stale urine hence the smell.

That is my gross food.

Ah Gordon! That's disgusting. I've just had dinner! After the boards thingy in Doyles last night I'm feeling a tad fragile. My poor stomach...gross!

Heh, sorry.

If anyone has a weak stomach - do not read my previous post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement