Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Reply Box

Options
  • 20-06-2003 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

I've seen this on other vbulletin forums, basically its just a little box that goes at the bottom of a thread beneath the last post and post reply button. It's handy as you don't have to click post reply twice each time and basically saves time for shorter posts. I've included a picture of what it looks like if you want to see it.
    Can we have it too?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Cheeky bugger.

I think that's only in vb3beta. I bet a quick reply box will have a negative effect on signal to noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Same code as yours:
    Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.3.0
    Copyright ©2000, 2001, 2002 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
    ©2002 2003 Forums4games

By signal to noise I presume it's either a joke at my expense or your talking about spam....or both but I mean I don't think it'd affect the way people post or what they post, it'd just speed the whole process up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

It's available only as a hack in this version of VB but VB3.00 has it as standard it's only in public beta now i'm running it on my forums and it's pretty sweet but I suspect the lads here will wait for RC1 or gold before upgrading so it could be a while yet.

Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

imagine how many more posts azezil would be able to make if he didn't have to click "post reply"...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

No. NONONONONONONO!

In fact I think it should be harder to post. You should have to type your password, date of birth and mothers maiden name every time you post.

Quick Reply = spam.
    Spam = bad.

QED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

amp test

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

definitely not something we want to do before VB3. I dont know that we will even do it then but we'll decide that then...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Heaven forbid that people should actually have to think a second before they post mindless crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

well maybe when VB3 ( what ever the hell that is) comes it can be tested on a fourm like afters hours where there is lots of chat
    as opposed to a fourm where people might be expected to go through the motions of thinking ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You cant just test it on one forum. Its a huge back end system whihc needs to be upgraded all at one or not at all.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

aye and we are reviewing it at the moment on a test system. Its a huge upgrade for us but a few of the things we have hacked in are now supported natively.... which is nice.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Have a minimum word or letter count along with the quick reply box.
    Make it so that you can use the quick reply box only if you write a paragraph long reply, so there'd be no "lol" or just single smilie reply on any threads,
    it would speed up my boards experience at home on my crappy 56k anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I don't endorse this service/product. This has already been suggested and the response was the same it will only lead to more spam or noise.

Well the vast majority of people seem against it which is fair enough I guess and while I'm not entirely convinced that it'd lead to more spam it doesn't seem to matter now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

All that Spam for the 5 secs it takes to load up the post reply page.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sure while your at it add a multiple reply number box too for more effective spam :rolleyes:
    Have a minimum word or letter count along with the quick reply box.
    Make it so that you can use the quick reply box only if you write a paragraph long reply, so there'd be no "lol" or just single smilie reply on any threads,

Wouldn't that defeat the whole "quick" reply notion?

It's a pity the quick reply box had to become associated with spam rather than as a time and labour saving feature. You can't fly around the forums posting 50 posts a minute just because theres a quick reply box. I'll let it drop and let the idea slowly drift into distant memory I guess.

Advertisement